SeaFoam???

Str9012

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
i just finished reading the long debate over Diesel Purge and Seafoam but still haven't gotten a clear answer for myself. I know that seafoam is for gassers but doesn't it still do the same job? and if so...... where can it be picked up at?

madrean

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf
i think you're supposed to stay away from it... and you don't want to put it into the intake... hydrolock? i seem to have read that several times here.

tb85105

TDI
98 Jetta
I think Seafoam can be bought at about any auto parts store, I know thay have it at O'Reillys. I have not used it in a diesel, just gas powered cars.

N41EF

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf, 2009 ML 320, 2006 NB, 2001 NB
You can get seafoam at any local auto parts place. Deisel Purge is harder to come by, I get mine online usually.

Str9012

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
alright, so i now know where to find it, as anyone used it in a TDI directly into the injectors like diesel purge or know someone that has?

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
N41EF said:
You can get seafoam at any local auto parts place. Deisel Purge is harder to come by, I get mine online usually.
So have you used Seafoam in a diesel? If its made for gassers, I would be very leary of putting it into a diesel.

Flytofish

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet, but soon!
Not too sure if I would use it. What kind of problems are you experiencing that would prompt you to use it? I've used it once in a gasser, but it did basically nothing. Some strange form of witches brew, I think.

bulabula

Veteran Member
TDI
A5 Jetta; A4 Golf 2-door; Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel
I've used seafoam in my gas cars but not in my diesels yet. I've read on other diesel sites where the diesel version of seafoam is twice the concentrate than the gas version. I think its also an anti-gel too.

aNUT

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'01 TT (ALH-ish), B7 Audi gasser, '05 Golf
I would not use Seafoam in a diesel.

Seafoam is a solvent never intended to be used in a diesel. Introducing it into the fuel system would most certainly reduce the lubricity of the fuel, which would put the injection pump and injectors at risk.

Introducing it into a vacuum line as described in the directions on the can (directions for gassers) poses two problems.

1. Engine run away - Seafoam is highly combustible. In an engine such as a diesel with no throttle plate, this results in unrestricted fuel and air.

2. Hydrolocking - diesels are high compression engines, thus there is minimal combustion chamber volume. Literally an ounce of any liquid in the combustion chamber of a TDI would result in extensive damage.

Seafoam is a relativly effective product when used carefully in accordance with the directions. I've used in my gasser pickup, but I'd NEVER USE IT IN A TDI.

bulabula

Veteran Member
TDI
A5 Jetta; A4 Golf 2-door; Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel
Seafoam is a solvent never intended to be used in a diesel.
Here's the seafoam page for diesels. It says to add it to either the fuel filter cannister or to the tank, says nothing about vacuum lines. I don't know if vacuum lines apply to my diesels anyways.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechDiesel.htm

Other than not boosting Cetane, the website says pretty much the same thing that Power Service says that PS DFS can do. Is PS unsafe to use in diesels? That was a rhetorical question - we all know its ok to use.

Normally I wouldn't fill up the fuel filter with anything other than good fuel, but, if I was was gelled up and dead in the water and needed to get going, I'd fill it with seafoam.

Str9012

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Alright, well thanks for the different oppinions, i don't want to start anything here so i'll just order some diesel purge online somewhere and just have to wait for that to come in. Thanks again.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
This is from their website ;

SEA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT for Diesel
Diesel Applications
Excellence in Performance
  • Cleans injectors
  • Adds lubricity
  • Anti-gel
  • Cleans crankcase
  • Restores power
  • Removes moisture
  • Cleans carbon
  • Stabilizes fuel
  • Diesel fuel conditioner

How to
Use SEAFOAM MOTOR TREATMENT
In Tune-Up of Diesel Engines
  1. Fill primary fuel filter with SEA FOAM. Be sure filter is fully primed to prevent air locks. This will clean injectors quickly.
  2. Use 1 pint of SEA FOAM to every 25 gallons of diesel fuel to add lubricity, clean fuel lines, injector pump and remove moisture.
  3. Use 1 pint of SEA FOAM to every 4 gallons of oil to clean rings and other engine parts internally. For best results, use SEA FOAM for 1 hour before oil change. Results in cleaner engines and longer oil change intervals.

When Added to Diesel Fuel Tank

• Cleans fuel injectors
  • De-ices and removes moisture
  • Cleans carbon as you drive
  • Diesel fuel conditioner and anti-gel
  • Lubricates upper cylinders
  • Stabilizes fuel
  • Adds lubricity
One pint treats 25 gallons of fuel.

For Anti-Gel and De-Icer
  • Use 1 pint in fuel tank to 25 gallons of diesel fuel to dry moisture and prevent gelling. Sea Foam will degel gelled fuel. Start with one pint to 25 gallons of gelled fuel. More will be needed in extreme cold weather.
  • If filters are gelled, change them and fill them with SEA FOAM.
  1. Use 1 pint to 25 gallons or (average of 1 ounce per gallon) to stabilize and condition fuels. One pint stabilizes 25 gallons of regular, unleaded and diesel fuels.
  2. Use 1 pint to stabilize 6-12 gallons of 2 cycle (gas-oil mix) fuels (average 2 ounce per gallon).

Last edited:

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
I heard that you can pour a couple oz's of Sea foam into the removed EGR cooler pipe off the exhaust manifold after you remove the turbo vacuum actuator and the cir-clip from the VNT arm and then vigorously exercise the VNT arm up and down to dislodge a good amount of caked up soot. This may be a very good, cheap, and effective process instead of having to remove the turbo. Common sense must be used in this process and I would let the vehicle sit for a couple hours after this procedure to allow most of the liquid Sea foam to dissipate. What do you think? ;) Later!

BugBug

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle TDI, 2005 New Beetle
I use Seafoam to remove moisture from oil and fuel. It seems in winter I get a little moisture under the valve cover. About a week before I change the oil, I add a few ounces of Seafoam to the oil (making sure not to overfill).

wny_pat

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Str9012 said:
Alright, well thanks for the different oppinions, i don't want to start anything here so i'll just order some diesel purge online somewhere and just have to wait for that to come in. Thanks again.
I think one of the prefered on-line retailers on this site sells the whole kit to do a "injector cleaning". If you do a advanced search, you can find the procedure for doing this. It is probably in TDI 101 under the "how to sticky".