2010 TDI hpfp keep or trade????

seamus19066

TDI
2010 sportwagon
Hey Guys, I have a 2010 sport wagon w/ 61K on her presently. This is my third VW and second TDI. Having my second issue this year. These cars always seem to fall apart after 50k for me and I am a maintenance freak so it is upsetting. AC compressor went at 55K, no warranty. I told them I smelled coolant, they say no issue. Now at 61K I have a leak bottom of radiator where fan shroud rubs on fins. An obvious design flaw. Came here to see and found others have had the same issue. I am scheduled to do a DSG service this week. 400 dollars. But as i have been reading since here I am quite concerned I have been dodging a bullet w/ the HPFP issue. I just changed my filter tonight and had some sandy stuff on the bottom but no metal. Cleaned it out and replaced the filter.

I have changed my oil every 5k instead of 10K as recommended because I intended to go the long haul w/ this car. Fuel filter every 15K.

But as stated every VW starts giving up on me after 50K???

Most of what I read on the HPFP failures was most failed under 25K some around 50K and few over that.

But a 7-10k fix is out of the question for me out of pocket. This risk has me quite concerned at this point.

I'm at 61K contemplating trading over this. How much is the new design HPFP? Maybe replacing prior to disaster would be an option.??

Love the car and torque but already two issues this year and worried. No warranty.

Intended to keep for 10years but that doesn't sound possible without a 7k fix in that time. I'd rather add that to my trade!

What are the VW gurus thinking on this????

Thanks for your insight or opinions.:)

mysql

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta wagon
I have changed my oil every 5k instead of 10K as recommended because I intended to go the long haul w/ this car. Fuel filter every 15K.
Supposedly the oil has detergents, and it's abrasive. So changing it more frequently just adds wear.

Most of what I read on the HPFP failures was most failed under 25K some around 50K and few over that.
For whatever reason, they seem to fail around the times the fuel filter is changed. Even if you ignore that, failures can happen at any time, so swapping fuel pumps might give you a failure shortly after anyway. The pump is just over $1,000. Not an ideal item to swap.

I'm at 61K contemplating trading over this. How much is the new design HPFP? Maybe replacing prior to disaster would be an option.??
There's still no fix. So you're not really gaining much in the way of safety.

Love the car and torque but already two issues this year and worried. No warranty.
Mazda 6 and CX-5 will have diesel in 2013. I plan to trade in my 2010 JSW TDI because I'm done playing games with VW. Like you, I had planned to keep the vehicle for the long haul, but it's simply not worth the gamble.

It all hinges on how much Mazda plans to charge for their diesels. Somewhere around 25k and I'll bite. Over that point and I'll look for a gasser instead.

seamus19066

TDI
2010 sportwagon
Thanks for the responses. I thought I read there was a newer design in the new HPFP?? That wouldn't be some insurance? Is this an issue in the 2012's?
This very disappointing!
What percentage of cars do you think this effects?? Or is it all in due time??

mysql

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta wagon
There has been several new designs. All of them still fail.

In the new Passat, they lowered hpfp pressure, and changed the coating of the pump. That tells us they haven't found a fix, but are instead band-aiding it to lower the chance of it happening instead.

seamus19066

TDI
2010 sportwagon
I thought GM was bad w/ the LS7 corvettes blowing motors for a valve design flaw. 14K motor! same thing going on for years w/ no fix. That I have an extended warranty so no worries! This VW is worth 17K a 7k fix is ridiculous!! So this 1000 dollar part causes 6000 worth of damage and labor?? System can't be flushed of metal?? There is nothing in this class, that at this price point, is as safe. Is this an issue on the gas jettas and passats?? They are DI? correct ? is that a HPFP also.? Man I am twisted now!

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Diesel and gasoline HPFP have nothing to do with each other. "High" pressure for a gasoline direct-injection engine is a tenth the pressure that diesel uses. The pump is entirely different.

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
Doing a DSG at 61K ?? they should be done at 40 K, have you already done it at 40 K? IF so why another at 61?

Regarding the pump I think it is less than 1%, yes it sucks big time if it blows up and you in the top 1% and not in a good way, but i think VW has covered most of them that failed. For something under 1% I will take my chances, Do not know what to say regarding the AC.

seamus19066

TDI
2010 sportwagon
Yes, 61K was never done at my last dealer. We have done our services and this was overlooked between both dealers in the confusion of moving. But this dealer caught it and recommended we do it. But to tell you the truth I am really considering selling. This issue has taken away from ownership as it is a big concern at that price of the fix. If I was told worse case scenario I could go to a independent German car shop and flush my lines and tank and have a new pump put in for a reasonable amount like under 2k I would be more apt to keeping it. But at 7-10K for an entire fuel system as the only option for an 18000 dollar car at this point, it doesn't compute. That is more than half the cars value!! VW has had years to take care of it's owners and has not. This is not a small price to saddle a loyal owner with. This is my third and probably last VW because of this. I really like the product fit, finish, and quality of materials. But the quality or longevity for long term ownership is just not there. Every one of my last three VW starts falling apart after 50K. Many warrantees. We really take care of our cars so that is not saying much for VW. I am concerned that it could be 1% but VW is not saying and getting behind owning this problem. So it may be much more that 1%. They are only covering you within the new warranty. So in essence they are selling a car that only lasts about 50K without a MAJOR and expensive fix after that. That is not a value to me. I bought it for 27K it's a diesel , good mileage, should last longer that a gasser. All cars have issues but a 10K problem that is likely after purchase??? Why would anyone pay for this out of pocket for it to happen again because there is no definite fix???? It's a shame because we love this car, but having a 10K fix following you around waiting to happen isn't for me!! It's also not right. VW if you don't at the very least give extended warranties to TDI owners....you have lost me forever!!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I think you should get rid of it. You clearly feel the car is going to continue to cause problems and you don't like unplanned expenses. Maybe making payments on a newer car is more appealing.

Keep in mind that there are lots of folks here that have 'way over 50K on their TDIs with relatively few problems. My '12 only has 14K, but the others in my house have 120, 160, 240, and 267K. I wouldn't say any of them are falling apart.

jahlov420

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 sportwagen MANUAL! DPF-Delete @ stage 2
i have the same car. 93k on it...i'm going to take my chances. its been a really good car and if the hpfp did happen to fail i don't think that the dealer**** is going to just tell me tough

seamus19066

TDI
2010 sportwagon
I think you should get rid of it. You clearly feel the car is going to continue to cause problems and you don't like unplanned expenses. Maybe making payments on a newer car is more appealing.

Keep in mind that there are lots of folks here that have 'way over 50K on their TDIs with relatively few problems. My '12 only has 14K, but the others in my house have 120, 160, 240, and 267K. I wouldn't say any of them are falling apart.
I agree and am unfortunately leaning on bailing out of this car. Comparing the older diesels to the new 2009-2012 TDI is very much an apple to an orange. There isn't anything on the older diesels that would fail to the tune of more than half the price of the car. The older diesels are a different and better breed. All cars have issues and we deal with them as needed. But this car is for arguments sake around 18K? If I had a choice of fixing an 18K car and adding 10K to it...I wouldn't think I would want to, as it CAN happen again as there is no definite fix. I'd rather put that 10K towards another new vehicle. This was an affordable economy car. 10K fixes don't compute for what it is. We don't save that much in fuel.

seamus19066

TDI
2010 sportwagon
-
i have the same car. 93k on it...i'm going to take my chances. its been a really good car and if the hpfp did happen to fail i don't think that the dealer**** is going to just tell me tough
Wait?? Your thinking is at 93K out of warranty, the VW dealer is going to give you a loyalty warranty???? They are giving people in warranty a hard time. They try to blame the fuel. I think if you think VW is going to help you or us out at this point out of warranty you are mistaken. I wish but I don't think so. I also wish there was a cheaper way out for a non-dealer VW shop to fix this, as this would keep me in a more reasonable frame of mind towards this problem...but 7-10K is ridiculous for an economy car. I thought my BMW was silly on some of the repairs but I am rethinking that. Nothing has been more than 1-2 K.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
First, it's not a 10K repair. Repairs seem to be running 6-7K at the dealer. And if you believe what people post here dealers are honoring many more repairs without questioning the owner, even outside the powertrain warranty. If you do mis-fuel and the dealer won't cover it, your comprehensive insurance should.

Second, there are items on the older cars that fail and cause significant expense. Ask someone with a '99.5-03 TDI with the 01M transmission. $4-5K for a reman transmission from VW which is about the only option. Or '04-05 owners with balance shaft and/or cam and/or transmission problems. Or cam problems in '04-06 PDs. None of those are quite up to the expense level of the HPFP, but they're significant ownership risks.

Third, one option that most people don't consider is replacing the HPFP as preventive maintenance. They cost about $1,500, and replacement would be far less expensive than the fuel system repairs required if it fails. However, there's no evidence that the replacement HPFP is any better than what's in the car. It could last 10K or 200K. So could the one you have.

You still should probably sell. Someone will enjoy the car and, most likely, get a long and happy service life. Perhaps.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
First, it's not a 10K repair. Repairs seem to be running 6-7K at the dealer. And if you believe what people post here dealers are honoring many more repairs without questioning the owner, even outside the powertrain warranty. If you do mis-fuel and the dealer won't cover it, your comprehensive insurance should.

Second, there are items on the older cars that fail and cause significant expense. Ask someone with a '99.5-03 TDI with the 01M transmission. $4-5K for a reman transmission from VW which is about the only option. Or '04-05 owners with balance shaft and/or cam and/or transmission problems. Or cam problems in '04-06 PDs. None of those are quite up to the expense level of the HPFP, but they're significant ownership risks.

Third, one option that most people don't consider is replacing the HPFP as preventive maintenance. They cost about $1,500, and replacement would be far less expensive than the fuel system repairs required if it fails. However, there's no evidence that the replacement HPFP is any better than what's in the car. It could last 10K or 200K. So could the one you have.
I don't think changing out a hpfp as preventive maintenance is an option most owner's even consider,because a failure isn't going to happen to them..........................................until it happens.

Here is a failure that dealer est. repair cost was $8,000. Yes, its not $10,000,but there is a huge difference between $5,000 transmission and a $8,000 hpfp fuel system repair.
ocindymom

TDI(s): 2009 Jetta

HPFP Major Failure
Year: 2009
Build Date: ?
Make/Model: VW Jetta TDI
Tranny: DSG
Mileage: 63300
Diesel Fuel Source: Various - Arco, Shell, etc.
Additives: No
Problem: HPFP "blew apart, spewing metal shards throughout the entire fuel system" per dealer. Entire fuel system with the exception of the fuel tank needs to be replaced. Car gave a little shudder, then died and would not restart. "Major engine Failure" warning light came on (no warning before that). Had to tow it to the nearest dealer for repair.
Dealer: Winn VW, Newark, CA
Status: still pending - extended warranty company (recommended and sold to me by VW dealer) and dealer continue to haggle over who will pay. Dealer says they will not, warranty company keeps changing their mind. They have inspected and re-inspected. No contaminated fuel found. They finally agreed to pay, but only a small amount of the repair. 2 weeks in the shop and absolutely nothing done so far. In fact, they just ordered parts Saturday. Estimated cost to repair is $8000 plus rental car for 3 weeks.

Last edited:

IFRCFI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Lux
Third, one option that most people don't consider is replacing the HPFP as preventive maintenance..
Show us one, just one, VWOA communication (letter, announcement, new part #) that identifies an improved HPFP replacement. You can't. Until then, there is no security in this type of preventive maintenance.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
First, it's not a 10K repair. Repairs seem to be running 6-7K at the dealer...

...there's no evidence that the replacement HPFP is any better than what's in the car. It could last 10K or 200K. So could the one you have.

You still should probably sell. Someone will enjoy the car and, most likely, get a long and happy service life. Perhaps.
This says it all and is why I never bought one of those abysmal POS in the first place. Yes, that's coming from a multiple B4 owner, with all their quirks. But at least their quirks were in the low $$ range and not the cost you're talking about. All 4 of my B4's combined cost less than the cost of one HPFP replacement.

Sell it. You are clearly not comfortable with the idea of possibly having to pay a large amount of money to have it repaired in the event it should prematurely die. For those that are....great, enjoy driving it and I hope they last a very long time (seriously, no ill will intended). It's not for everyone. But for those nervous about it, I would advise getting into something that makes you more comfortable. No amount of cost savings will begin to pay for your peace of mind.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
However, there's no evidence that the replacement HPFP is any better than what's in the car. It could last 10K or 200K. So could the one you have.
I think I covered that. And it would only provide security if the owner believes that the HPFPs wear and putting in a fresh one would re-start the wear cycle. I would need some more info before spending the $2K or so with labor to replace the pump.

If mine fails, I'm going to use it as a reason to replace injectors, turbo and pump and make the Golf into a true 170 HP CR. Treat it as an opportunity.

IFRCFI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Lux
If mine fails, I'm going to use it as a reason to replace injectors, turbo and pump and make the Golf into a true 170 HP CR. Treat it as an opportunity.
Spoken as an enthusiast. The problem is the general public (me included) see it differently. These vehicles as mass marketed to everyone, most who can't or don't want to turn wrenches on them...or pay someone else to.

schultp

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen, 6sp manual
Has anyone entertained the idea of finding an insurance company that would sell a HPFP failure policy. Seems that with the overall low percentage of CR vehicles that end up with this failure coupled with the high cost of repair this is ripe for an insurance company to step in. The yearly cost of this insurance over the lifetime of ownership would be much less than the one time repair cost. The insurance company makes some money, CR owners get some level of peace of mind....just wondering.

I own an A3 (98 Jetta) and while I have thoroughly enjoyed that vehicle the CR has been a joy to drive. I just bought mine used at 126K miles....I'm going with the logic (read rationalization!) that if the HPFP was going to fail it would have by now! :D

FYI, I think it is dieselgeek that advertises an HPFP replacement kit for about $4K. With CR vehicles coming off warranty you may see the need for DIY replacement or at least non-VW shops doing the repair.

engineered2win

Veteran Member
TDI
MkVI Golf TDI
This says it all and is why I never bought one of those abysmal POS in the first place. Yes, that's coming from a multiple B4 owner, with all their quirks. But at least their quirks were in the low $$ range and not the cost you're talking about. All 4 of my B4's combined cost less than the cost of one HPFP replacement.

Sell it. You are clearly not comfortable with the idea of possibly having to pay a large amount of money to have it repaired in the event it should prematurely die. For those that are....great, enjoy driving it and I hope they last a very long time (seriously, no ill will intended). It's not for everyone. But for those nervous about it, I would advise getting into something that makes you more comfortable. No amount of cost savings will begin to pay for your peace of mind.
Why are you trolling in the MK6 Golf section? You don't even own one.

seamus19066

TDI
2010 sportwagon
Has anyone entertained the idea of finding an insurance company that would sell a HPFP failure policy. Seems that with the overall low percentage of CR vehicles that end up with this failure coupled with the high cost of repair this is ripe for an insurance company to step in. The yearly cost of this insurance over the lifetime of ownership would be much less than the one time repair cost. The insurance company makes some money, CR owners get some level of peace of mind....just wondering.

I own an A3 (98 Jetta) and while I have thoroughly enjoyed that vehicle the CR has been a joy to drive. I just bought mine used at 126K miles....I'm going with the logic (read rationalization!) that if the HPFP was going to fail it would have by now! :D

FYI, I think it is dieselgeek that advertises an HPFP replacement kit for about $4K. With CR vehicles coming off warranty you may see the need for DIY replacement or at least non-VW shops doing the repair.
I agree! If there were an other lower cost alternative that would make it more reasonable to play this game. But 8K?? that is just unreasonable. I play w/ other german cars and the dealers can be insane w/ prices if your out of warranty. But there are other german import shops as options to save a lot of money. Even forums provide alot of info for saving money on certain fixes. This however does not seem DIY friendly and even as a mechanically inclined guy, I am no diesel mechanic. As an example. My radiator on the JSW is leaking. Fan shroud rubbed it to leak. Design flaw, but no warranty. Dealer=750 dollars?? I just found a brand new radiator online for 109 dollars.
This is a DIY project and a big savings. It was an option and i am taking it. But a HPFP repair???? I don't think so....

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Why are you trolling in the MK6 Golf section? You don't even own one.

So I can't voice an opinion? I don't own one because I choose not to own one at this time. I looked into them when they first came out and did not buy a first year model because there are often quirks to be worked out. Then the HPFP failures started happening, and I wanted to see how it would play out. At first they were all denied, then as time went on, they were covered more and more. Yes, the HPFP failures are a small percentage of the overall number of TDI's sold, but I do not like playing high-stakes Russian Roulette, so I'll pass for now.

I can own any car I want and drive what I do by choice. But, I am still young enough to be able and capable to work on my own cars, so that is what I do. There will come a time that I will have to make a choice, but that time has not arrived yet. It has for some people, and I offer my advice to those who ask for such.

I do not troll, but rather keep an ear to the ground with the newer TDI's, so if they ever do sort this mess out and make one that is more reliable, I can pick one up. As it is now, I'll stay away.

Anyone driving a car should be able to feel confident in it, and if the OP does not, then it is not the right car for him. It's pretty simple.

But thanks for your concern. If you had been here longer and done your research, you would have seen I do not troll.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
Note that dwiesel doesn't own a TDI at all.
So, that means I'm not allowed to join in and work on some kind of resolution or help other members that might need help?

As I see it ,I've got WAY more into this than you probably ever will. I've NEVER told any owner to get rid of their CR and I've always tried to help any member that PM'ed me and asked for some help.

Note:IndigoBlueWagon resorts to name calling. Sort of childish isn't it? As a matter of fact I own two tdi's.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Then my apologies. I don't see any TDIs in your profile. And I didn't think I was name calling. One issue with discussions on HPFP failures is that it's difficult to determine whether or not the problem is exaggerated. Folks who repeatedly to post who had a problem some time ago or sold their car in fear of a problem with no new ownership experience can make the issue seem worse than it is and alarm those who are otherwise happy with their TDI.

I maintain we have no good data on the frequency of HPFP failures. We don't know if the problem is under reported, or if there have been many incidences of unnecessary replacements. What we do have is strong opinions.

Last edited:

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
Perhaps your right, we need more info, There are a ton of threads here about HPFP, I hope everyone who has had the bad luck to have theirs blow up lets the board know and the board can keep a count. I also hope everyone reports to the gov so perhaps a formal recall could happen. Me I am at 47k no problems in 15 months , hope I do not have mine blow up but I keep every fuel recite and perhaps I am dreaming but think VW will stand behind it, maybe not with a smile but I think they know there is an issue and they have covered a very high percent of the failures. ( At least the is the sense I get here, the only one I think they did not cover was on a salvage title) I could be wrong but hope I never find out. Worry less drive more!!!!

Then my apologies. I don't see any TDIs in your profile. And I didn't think I was name calling. One issue with discussions on HPFP failures is that it's difficult to determine whether or not the problem is exaggerated. Folks who repeatedly to post who had a problem some time ago or sold their car in fear of a problem with no new ownership experience can make the issue seem worse than it is and alarm those who are otherwise happy with their TDI.

I maintain we have no good data on the frequency of HPFP failures. We don't know if the problem is under reported, or if there have been many incidences of unnecessary replacements. What we do have is strong opinions.

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
Did VWOA get involved? if so what is their take on this?

I don't think changing out a hpfp as preventive maintenance is an option most owner's even consider,because a failure isn't going to happen to them..........................................until it happens.

Here is a failure that dealer est. repair cost was $8,000. Yes, its not $10,000,but there is a huge difference between $5,000 transmission and a $8,000 hpfp fuel system repair.
ocindymom

TDI(s): 2009 Jetta

HPFP Major Failure
Year: 2009
Build Date: ?
Make/Model: VW Jetta TDI
Tranny: DSG
Mileage: 63300
Diesel Fuel Source: Various - Arco, Shell, etc.
Additives: No
Problem: HPFP "blew apart, spewing metal shards throughout the entire fuel system" per dealer. Entire fuel system with the exception of the fuel tank needs to be replaced. Car gave a little shudder, then died and would not restart. "Major engine Failure" warning light came on (no warning before that). Had to tow it to the nearest dealer for repair.
Dealer: Winn VW, Newark, CA
Status: still pending - extended warranty company (recommended and sold to me by VW dealer) and dealer continue to haggle over who will pay. Dealer says they will not, warranty company keeps changing their mind. They have inspected and re-inspected. No contaminated fuel found. They finally agreed to pay, but only a small amount of the repair. 2 weeks in the shop and absolutely nothing done so far. In fact, they just ordered parts Saturday. Estimated cost to repair is $8000 plus rental car for 3 weeks.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
Perhaps your right, we need more info, There are a ton of threads here about HPFP, I hope everyone who has had the bad luck to have theirs blow up lets the board know and the board can keep a count. I also hope everyone reports to the gov so perhaps a formal recall could happen. Me I am at 47k no problems in 15 months , hope I do not have mine blow up but I keep every fuel recite and perhaps I am dreaming but think VW will stand behind it, maybe not with a smile but I think they know there is an issue and they have covered a very high percent of the failures. ( At least the is the sense I get here, the only one I think they did not cover was on a salvage title) I could be wrong but hope I never find out. Worry less drive more!!!!
vw must figure it's cheaper to quietly fix these as they come up then a national recall that would replace millions of dollars of perfectly good running pumps with pumps that may or may not go and that would really harm their reputation in the press. Right now...its probably a few thousand pumps. to the OP sell the damn car and move on if you are so scared of it.