Diesel Geek Short Shifter Installation

eatpasta

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
So the second I test drove the car, I didn't like the shift action of the Passat. Loved the car but hated the way the shifting felt. My dad has a Westfalia and that dammed thing - it's like trying to stir a tub of tapioca with a broom handle. Am I in a gear? Idunno! Let's check! You really have to guess sometimes - which is a hilarious contrast to his other car; Honda S2000 whose shift action is like a razorblade. That car is just fun to drive so you can shift it.
Anyways Im rambling. Sorry. I bought the Diesel Geek shift kit months ago and have just never got around to installing it. I live in an apartment in Los Angeles and have no facilities in which to really work on anything. Lucky for me my wife and I live with a super cool guy who just happens to be a BMW mechanic. My wife cooks for him ALL the time so he owes us huge and he is a car and motorcycle geek just like me so it all works out.
Last night we installed it (he installed it....I tried to stay out of his way) and it went pretty well even though the instructions don't really outline the Passat specifically, they outline enough of the process to get you through it.
I shot some video and hopefully tonight ill have time to cut together a little video so you guys can check it out.
I can tell you from the drive home it is 200% better than stock. The actual throw of the shifter aside - the action is precise. MUCH more like the S2000 now. Having the throw be shorter is icing on the Passat at this point.
Anyways - stay tuned for the video.

:cool:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I don't have a Passat, but my DieselGeek Sigma six is, without a doubt, my favorite mod. I have no idea why VW uses such a vague shifter. Also the DG unit eliminates the biggest weak spot in the whole shifter mechanism - the plastic shift cable ends.

Have Fun!

Don

eatpasta

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
I don't have a Passat, but my DieselGeek Sigma six is, without a doubt, my favorite mod. I have no idea why VW uses such a vague shifter. Also the DG unit eliminates the biggest weak spot in the whole shifter mechanism - the plastic shift cable ends.

Have Fun!

Don
Yeah that was my biggest :confused: when we got it apart. There is that HUGE heavy piece of metal with a strange weight on the end and then three very flimsy plastic bits that hold it all together. A very inelegant design. The DG kit is very simple and it works very well.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Nice video. I liked the before and after side-by-side comparison near the end. I also removed the battery and battery tray to give me more room to work when I did mine, but this simpler method probably would have worked. VW must have moved the motor/transmission mounts between the Jetta and the Passat, because my only obstacle in removing that second old shifter part was the battery tray, not a motor mount. This video will probably help a lot of people. Thanks.

Have Fun!

Don

eatpasta

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Nice video. I liked the before and after side-by-side comparison near the end. I also removed the battery and battery tray to give me more room to work when I did mine, but this simpler method probably would have worked. VW must have moved the motor/transmission mounts between the Jetta and the Passat, because my only obstacle in removing that second old shifter part was the battery tray, not a motor mount. This video will probably help a lot of people.
I was hoping it would. If I would have thought it out more carefully I would have included more steps but it was pretty much a last minute thing. I figured if I could help out a few people it would be worth the time.

eatpasta

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
The guys at Diesel Geek just contacted me and asked me if I would pull the video until I change it....

Apparently if you remove that plate that holds on the pivot piece, you can screw up the shaft, necessitating the REMOVAL of the transmission. Furthermore, if the plate isn't correctly reinstalled, you can have a gear oil leak etc etc etc.

So.... DO NOT remove the plate that holds on the pivot piece.... you can remove the pivot without moving the baseplate.

So im going to edit the video when I have a sec and un-private it.

that is all...

ChillerK

TDI
2009 JSW TDI 6M

Have Fun!

Don
Hey Don-

I just picked up an '09 JSW TDI this week, and am looking at this as my first mod.

I'm curious how long it took you to install, and if you have any nuggets of wisdom in doing it.

Which other mods have you done to your JSW?

Thanks in advance!

-Kurt

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hey Don-

I just picked up an '09 JSW TDI this week, and am looking at this as my first mod.

I'm curious how long it took you to install, and if you have any nuggets of wisdom in doing it.

Which other mods have you done to your JSW?

Thanks in advance!

-Kurt
OK, once I got past a problem with getting the air filter box off (this has been fixed in the new version of the instructions), it only took about 2 hours. It would now take a lot less since I have done it once.

As for "nuggets of wisdom" I only have two:
1) Read the instructions carefully (I suggest more than once) before you start doing anything. Then follow them exactly. They are excellent instructions, but you must follow them exactly (especially the adjustment part).
2) The left front mount is tricky because there is a large bolt that blocks access to one of the bolts you must torque down to set one of the rivnuts. This large bolt is one of the bolts that holds on the front bumper. You can use a 17mm (I think) socket on a 10" extension stuck through the left lower grill and back off this bolt to give you much easier access. I do not think that this "trick" is in the instructions.

You will need:
A torque wrench to properly "set" the rivnuts and to tighten a few other bolts/nuts.
Also a battery terminal puller is also useful, but not usually necessary (less than $5.00 at most auto parts stores).

Aside from this all you will need are standard metric sockets and allen wrenches (Hex keys).

Again, the most important step it reading, understanding, and following the instructions.

Have fun!

Don

trentf

TDI
MkVI Golf 2 Door 6M. Black
Thanks for posting the video. Good to see the side-by-side comparison. I just ordered a Sigma 6 for my Golf today.

Cheers.