Transmission locked up, loud bang, and gear box oil on the asphalt :(

rice rocketeer

TDI
2002 Golf 2dr 1 owner/driver car (only options is Cruz and A/C) 2014 Passat Highline
Hello there,

A couple days ago I was pulling into a parking lot when my transmission (5 speed manual) locked up going about 25km/h. I knew by the sound it made and the gear oil on the ground, the repair will be $$$ :(

My car has 190,000kms, and it's chipped. I do tow a utility trailer with it from time to time and drive it hard (not stolen hard;)). I heard that the differentials grenade sometimes, or the rivets let go in the diff???

Does anyone know any more info on this? I found a tranny to put in for now but, I was wondering if I could beef it up a bit so this wouldn't happen again.

Thanks,

Last edited:

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
Yes your diff probably grenaded. Yours isn't rebuildable and a replacement rebuild would require a rebuildable core so you probably need to look for a used one.

Here's broke's page on 020 rivit to bolt upgrade. Yours the pin might have come out of the diff and broke the case though.

http://www.brokevw.com/020diff.html

Some guys on the vortex call this SMS (self machining syndrome)

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...ssion-Anyone-Know-What-Might-Have-Caused-This

Post #55 in the following thread shows a nice pic of the pin coming out of the differential.

http://forums.fourtitude.com/showth...problems-Dealer-diagnosis-claims-its-my-fault.

OMG! Heres a good one...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2896476/page1

Vw's have been doing this for years. First trans I changed out like this was on a 76-82??? rabbit and this was at least 19 years ago.

This is why I say.....(totally tasteless humor follows)

Last edited:

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
LOL, Sometimes you can't win. Should be able to find a good tranny about there used. Might be wise to to the bolts on the diff and to drill the 5th gear area out that scottdewitt does to his trannys to get oil in that area better.

rice rocketeer

TDI
2002 Golf 2dr 1 owner/driver car (only options is Cruz and A/C) 2014 Passat Highline
Thanks CoolAirVw! That was some very good info! I will do the bolt thing for sure as I would like to squeeze out another 200K min. out of her.

Thanks coalminer16, I will have to look into the 5th gear area drill thing. Do you have link or more info on this by chance?

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
SMS dates back in the 80s. My sciroccos original tranny grenaded like that yrs ago. It got replaced with an early gearbox from 81. The early ones used bolts before VW switched to rivets.

Keven

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
What year cars are problematic and can you do anything for preventative maintenance?

rice rocketeer

TDI
Update...

Just took out the tranny, looks like the diff cross shaft came out and shattered the case in a few places. Does anyone know if it's just pressed in? Or what holds it in place?

I'm thinking of forking out the $$$ for a 6 spd. I need to find out if they have the same problem or, if they can handle the extra few hp's and towing.

rice rocketeer

TDI
Thanks Nate for the info,

I looked into the 6sp conversion, it was even more than I thought! About $3000 for eveything!!! I guess I'll just stick to a 5sp. I found one for $850 with 120,000kms. Just waiting to see how much they will charge for a bolt kit install, maybe attempt it myself???

tdwesty

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Jetta TDI GLS Spice Red, 1.6TD Westy
SMS dates back in the 80s. My sciroccos original tranny grenaded like that yrs ago. It got replaced with an early gearbox from 81. The early ones used bolts before VW switched to rivets.
I've heard about this, but thought it was only specific 5 speeds, like those in the A1/A2 GTIs. We've had 7 A2s in the family (2 diesel, 2 16V GTX, 1 8V GTI, 2 gas Jettas) and have never seen it, just lucky I guess. All of them went well past 300k kms. I still have the trans from my first '85 with 480k kms, a bit sloppy, but still works great.

Should I be worried about this in the new '04?