Random long crank?

GTPlus

TDI
2013 Jetta
Mine did. Though I have greatly improved it in two ways.

1. I added a thin coating of permitex silicone gasket to the main flange of the fuel filter housing. I am guessing the o-ring is not sealing well, even though it is new. This seemed to take care of almost all occurrences. Only one in the last two weeks vs nearly every morning.

2. I make sure that the fans are not running after I turn off the vehicle due to an interrupted regen. I just restart, idle for a few minutes and then turn off again. This keeps my battery from being run down, which seems to exacerbate the long crank. Probably from low voltage available for the glow plugs. FWIW the battery is new and has been tested by three different shops along with the alternator.

ricohman

TDI
2013 Golf Wagon
I had this problem when I bought my car in August. I replaced the battery 4 days after buying the car.
No problem since.

Jaxon

Hi all,

Symptoms of on my car have gotten to the point that it's every cold start now, and it's embarassing to start my car after work.

I've changed the fuel return line, and replaced glow plugs.

Next step is the local VW mechanic, but anything else to check before?

I watched that video posted earlier, but that's a different engine - I don't believe ours have variable valve timing.

Thoughts?

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
Prior to engaging the start button or key, tap the throttle two or three times to floor. Does it still crank longer?

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Mine cranks long at times too. Seems totally random. Spins over normal. Just extended cranking. No codes. So idk.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
My long crank on the first start of the day returned with the very warm weather, but I have a trick that really does seem to work and it also makes sense if it's related to oil pressure as noted in earlier posts and also in other threads. Instead of churning for lots of cycles, if I turn off the car after 1 or 2 turns, then it seems it fires right up on the first restart. I don't like letting it churn.

Good luck!

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
I get that at the end of day after having driving to work in relatively cool temps and then sitting for 9hrs in 30C (86F)+ temps. I now just cycle the key 2-3x much like the really cold mornings and it seems to alleviate the dreaded long crank.

That said if I miss it sometimes I have to sit and wait for a bit before trying again or else it's like I have no spark or no fuel and it just cranks & cranks with no start.