DIY: 2" Lift Kit for Under $40 - EASY!

cumminsfromthecold

Veteran Member
TDI
'84 Toyota 1Z 4WD x-cab, '13 Jetta Wagon
MK4 R32 lift

Lots of good info here - thanks everyone. If anyone's got any thoughts or, better yet, experience with putting a 1" or 2" lift an a MK4 R32, I'm all ears.

Was a fordie

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
if only u could buy the metalnerd ones and have them keep the deposit.. they make it so hard to get those!!! UGH! gosh darn.

mixedgas=hauledass

TDI
2004 Volkswagen Beetle TDI pd
Did you need to get an alignment after you installed the lift? What size of tire have you had success with? What do you think now, since driving the vehicle with the lift installed? I have an 04 dark grey, Beetle gls, turbo diesel. I am really interested in this mod. Thanks

clove5

TDI
99.5 golf 1.9l, white, two door
Frankencar is awesome! I opted for the cheap cheater method. Franken car did it right.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Frankencar is awesome! I opted for the cheap cheater method. Franken car did it right.

Put your cad up agains the frankenbuilt lift.... Handling is far and away better with the purpose made springs and Bilstien HDs.

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
NB, 2002, green, Eurotek STG1
Back onto doing this project for the bug. Instead of lifting the bottom shock mount, has anyone just found a shock that is taller than original and will allow for the extra travel, or is there a simple reason that won't work?

clove5

TDI
I don't see why it wouldn't work.
I already bought new shocks and didn't want to buy another set.
When I called bilstein they were offering to sell me a longer shock.

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
I know a lot of guys have said the wagon springs (so then shocks, too) are longer, so in theory if I called Rock Auto and said I needed two springs for my bug that were say 2-3" inches taller than stock and then got some shocks that could be determined to offer 2-3" more travel (both ways) and then when I get new struts put on next week I could have stock struts with some strut spacers providing some additional height...(and here is my question and then hopefully I will be done if the answer is simple...) how many strut spacers can be stacked to level things...4-5 or more? Does each shock manufacturer make its own spacers or are they just generic like hardware washers, assuming the hole in the middle will fit the strut post?

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
HOLY SPRING PERCH, BATMAN! (mouth agape)

I decided to replace rear springs today so I went to O'Reilly's and got the oem replacement shocks which he said were sourced by Moog. Ok, no problem, the number covered a bunch of NBs and Jettas, etc. When I went to put them on they were more tussle going in than the originals were coming out but I figured worn out springs, not as tall as they used to be. ( I didn't bother comparing until after the first one went in). After I got one in I compared them and they were a couple of inches taller, lol. I called O'Reilly's and they confirmed the springs were right (picture). So I put the other one on, and after it was back on the ground I couldn't help but laugh because the rear looked so high.
Original springs on...ground to inside rear fender well above tire was 26 7/8.
New springs on...ground to inside rear fender well above tire was 29"!!!
OK it was out of fuel so I drove around a bit, double checked both springs were seated properly and then got some fuel. Full tank of fuel...28 3/8".
Looks funny, feels like I am driving downhill, lol. I had thought about not bothering with spacers in the front before this but now I think it is almost required. Going to have new struts (or quick struts) put on Thursday so have that long to think about using the pipe spacer discussed on this thread or possibly some strut spacer washers, although at 10 mm each I am not sure how much work it will take to compress the springs in order to have enough strut rod to go through the tower. I assume these springs will settle some but jeez, Moog must use lumber measuring, lol. 1 inch is really 1.5 or more, lol.

Last edited:

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey Poopie, you know they had a wide range of coverage for jettas and new beetles, I suspect they split the difference and called it good :).

They feel better, have to admit, although I feel like I'm sliding down the seat, lol. Trying to figure out which strut assembly to install on front, read many opinions on Monroe Quick Struts versus the KYBs, etc.

I went to Lowe's today to look at black or galvanized pipe and it got confusing. I thought I saw someone post the specs of the front 2" pipe the OP used as spacers as 1.5" diameter but the largest I could find was 1 1/4". That looks a bit wide for the picture the OP posted so I was wondering if someone can share what they used as the front spacer and what the OD was and if it was allthread on the outside or inside or what, thanks. It seems the strut rod will just sit in the middle of all the open area of the pipe and the pipe will be held in by...inward pressure all around the perimeter of the spacer?

Update: just went back and re-read and realized OP called for 1" pipe.

Last edited:

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
Epilogue: upgrade complete!

Well, got 'er done! The "oem" O'Reilly's springs in back and Monroe Quickstruts with a 1.5" high by 1" diameter pipe piece as suggested by OP in front. Everything went on nicely, ride is MUCH less pounding and bumpy and after bashing it around on some bumpy roads and such to settle it all in the alignment will happen in the morning. The whole thing is very tight with no hint of spacers. I am relieved the rear spring increase in height allowed me to bypass the fabrication because the rear shocks appear to handle the two inch increase without topping. Highly recommend just based on the way the ride feels now :)

clove5

TDI
Finally got the general grabber at2 205 75r15 I wanted to fit my DIY 3" lift.

The bottle is 10" tall. I have about 10" clearance in the front and 11"in the rear

mintyepicness

TDI
03 Golf
Finally got the general grabber at2 205 75r15 I wanted to fit my DIY 3" lift.

The bottle is 10" tall. I have about 10" clearance in the front and 11"in the rear

Tires look good. I wish they made the Blizzak's a size up for 15's that would work. 205/65/15 is all I find. What did the tires and lift do to your mpg?

clove5

TDI
I haven't calculated mpg yet. But it takes a lot more energy to turn the wheels.
If general made a 205 65r15, i would get those instead

The4ork

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk1 AHU (in progress) Mk2 GTi 8V MkIV Jetta12VR
Is there any off the shelf parts from lowes or home depot I can get for the front spacer? Like 1" black Iron pipe or something like that?

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle

Gluckmysock

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 1.9
Well, Finished my budget lift. The 2"x4" bushing was found here: www.supplyhouse.com I also picked up a piece of 2" pipe 3" long and cut it in half. The strut spacers are 1" black pipe cut 2" long. The shock spacers were from 1"x1" square tubing from lowes. I drilled and fitted everything, then had it powder coated. Should survive many salty PA winters. Tires should be on this week.

Last edited:

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta wagon, 1949 willys cj3 ALH TDI swap
looking good man!

Well, Finished my budget lift. The 2"x4" bushing was found here: www.supplyhouse.com I also picked up a piece of 2" pipe 3" long and cut it in half. The strut spacers are 1" black pipe cut 2" long. The shock spacers were from 1"x1" square tubing from lowes. I drilled and fitted everything, then had it powder coated. Should survive many salty PA winters. Tires should be on this week.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Ok, I've been watching this thread for a good while, and had a question that I don't remember having seen yet.

How much of a difference do the larger tires make in the daily driving behavior, when you go from 195/65-R15 to 205/75-R15?

I did some digging and looking at the ratios/speedometer error numbers, but am curious if anyone has personal experience that they would share.

My car is stock at the moment, but as soon as I can find my timing belt tools, is going to be getting an 11mm pump, Sprint 520 injectors, and a Malone stage 3 tune, so I'll have some increased torque to play with.

I've already replaced one oil pan, and don't want to replace another. This led to my plan to lift the car at least 1", but might go for a 2" lift and the larger tires, depending on drivability.

Gluckmysock

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 1.9
I have my tires, 215/75/15 air pressure set to 40 on the front and 35 on the rear.

Car rides very nice and smooth. Handles very well.

I'll probably drop the front to 37-8 and the rear to around 33. Only because I thinks the air pressure is just a little to high.

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta wagon, 1949 willys cj3 ALH TDI swap
Hey Allen, My car is axacly the same as what you describe... I have 11mm pump, sprint nozzles and stage 3 tune. I am running 215/75-15 grabbers. I love them but they definitely do throw off the gearing. It still has the power to turn them but it take a bit of a hit. I notice that I am always between gears unless I really want to put the boost to it. Then it doesn't really matter.. I only notice it when Im just chugging along and I come to a hill. I dont want to always have to hit 20lbs of boost to hold a gear on a hill. I didnt have to with the stock tires, but I do with 215's. I also dont love how close they are with a 2" lift. I loved my rear mud flaps, but cant fit them with the big tires. That being said. The grabbers ride/handle fine, they look AWESOME, the clearance is great, and the lower RPM on the hyw is nice. This is just my .02. I hope it helps. :)

Ok, I've been watching this thread for a good while, and had a question that I don't remember having seen yet.

How much of a difference do the larger tires make in the daily driving behavior, when you go from 195/65-R15 to 205/75-R15?

I did some digging and looking at the ratios/speedometer error numbers, but am curious if anyone has personal experience that they would share.

My car is stock at the moment, but as soon as I can find my timing belt tools, is going to be getting an 11mm pump, Sprint 520 injectors, and a Malone stage 3 tune, so I'll have some increased torque to play with.

I've already replaced one oil pan, and don't want to replace another. This led to my plan to lift the car at least 1", but might go for a 2" lift and the larger tires, depending on drivability.