Amsoil In this Thread only

Which AMSOIL?

• Total voters

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
The Amsoil 5w-30 European Oil will work fine for a TDI in a mild to cold climate like BC, even a PD, since your equilibrium oil temps will run a bit lower. For hot climates you'd be better off going with one of their SAE 5w-40's. I prefer the 5w-40, Premium Synthetic Diesel Oil (product code DEO) over their VW 505.01 oil. In my experience it holds up even better due to the higher additive levels. It's also a thicker forty weight, which is always a good idea in the Pumpe Duese (PD) engines.

TS

loudspl

Veteran Member
TDI
02 ASV w/ 02J
Question-

Does anyone know if the AME 15w-40 contains friction modifiers?

I'm considering running the old ARO 20w-50 since it says no friction modifiers and looks like a more robust oil compared to TDT or T-6. My new build is still breaking in and I want a good synthetic that can take a beating :)

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Question-

I'm considering running the old ARO 20w-50 since it says no friction modifiers and looks like a more robust oil compared to TDT or T-6. My new build is still breaking in and I want a good synthetic that can take a beating :)
I'd wait for TwoSlick to comment, but my guess is no.

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
No the Amsoil 15w-40 is not friction modified, nor is the ARO/20w-50 which uses a very similar additive chemistry.

The issue with the air filters was trying to sell an ultra premium, cleanable product for what most end users regard as a cheap, throw away item. It was also difficult to cover all the different filter designs out there while achieving economy of scale. That is to say there were a limited number of big sellers of a particular part number - mostly the air filters for turbo diesel pickups from what I understand. There are no performance or durability issues with the filters. Many of those remaining in stock, including the EAA 208 for VW/Audi applications, are being phased out at up to 50% off to dealers and preferred customers. These still carry the four year/100k warrantee.

I thought the idea of a better air filter was a good one, but the benefits aren't easily measurable unless you're doing oil analysis testing and looking at wear rates. The Donaldson commercial air/oil filters still use the nano fiber technology, which I believe Amsoil licensed from them.

(Sorry I took so long Bob, but it is 5:45 am down here in Dixie)

TS

Last edited:

loudspl

Veteran Member
TDI
02 ASV w/ 02J
Currently running the ARO 20w-50 now. Hope for 10k OCI.
Will do UOA on it when it's time to change. Engine seems happy so far :)

FWIW guys the EAA208 air filter (for MKIV) is only $13.00 ea or $72.60 for case of 6.

Get them while you still can!

Texan1983

TDI
2014 Jetta
Anyone using Amsoil injector clean and cold flow? Supposed to add lube to fuel, clean injectors and resist fuel gelling. Thoughts?

TDI
2009 Jeta
I use both cetane boost & diesel concentrate and I get 50 miles per gallon easly. I use 2 oz each per tank. I don't use cold flow as it does not get that cold and I have a heated garage. Bill

TDI
2009 Jeta
Question-

Why 20w50 if I may ask if this is for your tdi even modified that AME or I might suggest HDD would work. Before you jump on this post racing is a very good application for both oils.

Here is a tdi using HDD not modified though posted on this site years ago.

http://tinyurl.com/mu67ajs

I hope this helps.

Also one of our dealers has three treads that shows you our AMO can replace the 5w50 oil recommended.
GT500 UOA Thread
Boss 302 UOA Thread
Mustang GT UOA Thread
Bill

loudspl

Veteran Member
TDI
02 ASV w/ 02J
Why 20w50 if I may ask if this is for your tdi even modified that AME or I might suggest HDD would work. Before you jump on this post racing is a very good application for both oils.

Here is a tdi using HDD not modified though posted on this site years ago.

http://tinyurl.com/mu67ajs

I hope this helps.

Also one of our dealers has three treads that shows you our AMO can replace the 5w50 oil recommended.
GT500 UOA Thread
Boss 302 UOA Thread
Mustang GT UOA Thread
Bill
I've been running the ARO 50wt. for the past ~5k miles

I wanted a high HTHS oil for summer use with high EGT, high stress operation. 20w-50 works great in the summer....less potential for shearing down under hard sustained use. I spun rod bearings with an unnamed popular 40wt. that sheared under high load, very high PCP. Another popular brand 10w-40 sheared down a grade in a few thousand miles of hard use.

I won't run the HDD 30wt. unless I'm aiming for easy driving, low boost, low EGT, going for mileage numbers. I don't want something that might shear under hard use.
There are more robust choices in Amsoil's lineup that still flow well even at cold temps....for example, AMO has a 4.3 HTHS and -47F pour point. Better protection than HDD AND still has good cold flow :)

TDI
2009 Jeta
I can assure you the HDD will not sheer the 7.3 is notoriously hard on shearing. I have close to 400 hp and have never had that show up on oil samples. The HDD is rated for 800 hp turboed gas racing. Anyway it is your engine good luck. Bill

Last edited:

FJR1300

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE 6 Spd Manual
Hello Everyone, I'm brand new to the website and brand new to the TDI, just picked up my first TDI yesterday October 30th...it's a 2015 Golf TDI SE with a 6 spd manual transmission. I'm a firm believer in Amsoil and use them on my auto's, motorcycles and tractors. I traded in my 2003 Acura RSX with over 271,000 miles, no hick-ups and was still getting around 33MPG. I'm expecting good things from this TDI with the new engine,
was wondering the VW manual says 5-30 oil, but from what a number of you are saying, you use 5-40 oil. I live in Texas and drive about 128 miles a day, 99% of that is highway,
it gets as cold as 10 degrees here in the winter and as warm as 120 degrees in the summer. I'm not towing anything, but myself to work and back with the AC on. Any learned suggestions on engine oil and transmission oil? I know when I'm supposed to change engine oil (every 10,000 miles), but how often do I change the transmission oil?
Thank you for your time and advice

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Hello Everyone, I'm brand new to the website and brand new to the TDI, just picked up my first TDI yesterday October 30th...it's a 2015 Golf TDI SE with a 6 spd manual transmission. I'm a firm believer in Amsoil and use them on my auto's, motorcycles and tractors. I traded in my 2003 Acura RSX with over 271,000 miles, no hick-ups and was still getting around 33MPG. I'm expecting good things from this TDI with the new engine,
was wondering the VW manual says 5-30 oil, but from what a number of you are saying, you use 5-40 oil. I live in Texas and drive about 128 miles a day, 99% of that is highway,
it gets as cold as 10 degrees here in the winter and as warm as 120 degrees in the summer. I'm not towing anything, but myself to work and back with the AC on. Any learned suggestions on engine oil and transmission oil? I know when I'm supposed to change engine oil (every 10,000 miles), but how often do I change the transmission oil?
Thank you for your time and advice

To maintain your VW warranty, use only engine oil that has been certified BY VW as meeting the 507.00 specification.

Amsoil makes fine products, but they are not on that 'list'. This is a warranty issue only (IMO).

Bill

FJR1300

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE 6 Spd Manual
I appreciate the gentlemen's concern and his (IMO) about maintaining my VW warranty. I went to the service department at my dealership and asked to see the manager, asked him what kind of oil is specific to the TDI engine and the manager went back and retrieved a bottle of Castrol Edge SAE 5W-30 and showed it to me, then he pointed to the bar on the back of the bottle that states VW 504 00 / 507 00; he said as long as the oil says that on the bottle you are good to go. I told him of my intention to use Amsoil and he stated that a number of his customers use the oil and it is "good stuff". Now getting back to my question and maybe I should address this to the two gentlemen whom are Amsoil reps or dealers (slick or bob?) in the Amsoil website the only oil they have listed as meeting the low ash and VW 504 00/ 507 00 is the European Car Formula 5W-30…is that what I need to stick to, and what is the recommended Manual Transmission Lube that meets VW specifications and how often do I have to change the transmission fluid?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Amsoil does not have any VW certifications. They write that their oil is "for vehicles that require...", which I think is misleading to lots of folks. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with their products, but if you're concerned about having lubricants that have met VWs certifications, Amsoil has none. The 507.00 number is the one that matters: the 504.00 is for gasoline engines.

Regarding your transmission, it's a "lifetime" fill. Most folks do change gear oil every 100K miles, however. The correct VW part number for your transmission is G 052 512 A2, I believe.

TDI
2009 Jeta
On my first oil change my VW Dealership ask me if I had AMSOIL for my Jetta willing to install it in my car. So IMO the scare tactics of some is unwarranted. Amsoil backs up there product any way.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
On my first oil change my VW Dealership ask me if I had AMSOIL for my Jetta willing to install it in my car. So IMO the scare tactics of some is unwarranted. Amsoil backs up there product any way.
They already knew you were an Amsoil dealer, right? No mystery there.

There hasn't been any Amsoil scare tactics (Pro OR Con) on this board for a long time, so lets leave it that way.

We have some trustworthy fellows that give us good, unbiased oil advice on here and I thank them for their time and efforts! (and some of them are Amsoil dealers)

Bill

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
No scare tactics from me. I have no axe to grind with Amsoil, other than their marketing materials. I agree that many members here have good luck with their products.

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
This is what I call scare tactics. IMO

its not scare tactics, its simply stating the owner's manual. personally I would use a 507 approved oil until the warranty expired then purchase something else like an Amsoil product

its excellent oil and I use it in my PD jetta but only after the warranty expired

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
This is what I call scare tactics. IMO
In order to maintain the VW warranty, use oils approved by VW (i.e., certified by VW as meeting the 507.00 specs).

If you are content to rely ONLY on the Amsoil warranty, use Amsoil products.

Nothing scary about it. Just the facts. I repeat; Amsoil makes good products, but they are not approved by VW.

Bill

Last edited:
TDI
2009 Jeta
What I was trying to say is it does not have to be approved by VW all it need is to meet the specs and AMSOIL does that. That is why the dealer was willing to install our oil and yes they knew I was a dealer that bears no weight on the facts.
I am 67 years oil I have been told all my life you can’t do that or something like that. I have found that you need to do your research based on facts and that is all. I never meant to upset anyone but others read these post with more or less of an understanding of cars or how to work on them or what oil does.
Example when I bought my f250 7.3 I was told I could not extend my drain intervals or it would void my warranty it never did. All I had to do is prove with oil samples the oil was still good for continued use done.
Other example I wanted to build a pond I was told it would never hold water guess what is has for now 15 years. Don’t let anyone tell you can’t find out for your self do the research there is too much that is just not true or wrong.

This is not meant to flame any one please don’t take it that way.

SuburbanTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle TDI, and two Jetta TDI
What I was trying to say is it does not have to be approved by VW all it need is to meet the specs and AMSOIL does that.

No, it does not. Nowhere will you, or can you, find any VW documentation to support that.

VW issues the certification and your product has none from VW.

It is a VW spec, there's just no way around that.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

TDI
2009 Jeta
No, it does not. Nowhere will you, or can you, find any VW documentation to support that.

VW issues the certification and your product has none from VW.

It is a VW spec, there's just no way around that.

The fact is our oil meets VW spec's plain and simple for more info AMSOIL FAQ Page
We use
[FONT=&quot]the top-performing, and usually most expensive [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]additives. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]These additives have already passed all of the API licensing requirements in a petroleum- or synthetic-based formulation. The real fact we exceed all [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]API requirements.
Bill[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

Last edited:

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium

The fact is our oil meets VW spec's plain and simple for more info AMSOIL FAQ Page
We use
[FONT=&quot]the top-performing, and usually most expensive [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]additives. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]These additives have already passed all of the API licensing requirements in a petroleum- or synthetic-based formulation. The real fact we exceed all [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]API requirements.
Bill[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

Stop being an Amsoil salesman for a second and try to understand the reality of the situation.

(BTW, this was all hashed out here before you became a member, and Amsoil reps acting as you are now is the reason that all AMSOIL discussions are confined to this ONE THREAD.)

Here are the facts:

VW publishes a list of acceptable (for warranty claims/purposes) oils to use in their engines.
There are NO AMSOIL PRODUCTS ON THAT LIST, period.

No wise up and stop making your company look stupid.

This has nothing to do with the quality of your product.

Bill

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
I will go through this thread later.

FWIW, some of Amsoil's oils are API, BMW, and MB official. Some are not.

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Since 2006. You should have seen the oil threads in the earlier days.
Same on any forum. Yup, lots of non-scientific talk based on nothing. Like, "this oil is so much more slipperier". Oh boy! :rolleyes:

People worry too much. In over 40 years of vehicle ownership, I have yet to have an oil related failure and I keep my cars long enough to know (last one 15 years since new). But then I used Mobil 1 in my last car and presently use it in my Porsche.

Even more hillarious is all the oil talk ad nauseam and then talking about saving a few dollars by getting a cheap oil filter. :rolleyes:

I sure hope aliens do not monitor the internet, because if they do, they'll know how incredibly stupid the human race is.