VW Golf 1.9 TDI Match - Cam belt change

assetmover

TDI
VW Golf Match
I have a June 2008 Golf Match purchased from a VW dealer a year ago. It had one owner and 10,000 miles on clock. I have done 20,000 taking it to 30,000.

When I checked it in for a service last week the dealer wanted to change the cam belt and told me this is what VW advise at either 40,000 or four years. The cost is £335.

I see this is a common issue but should I change the belt and if I do perhaps I should go to a non franchised dealer. A few people seem to say change the water pump at the same time but there seems to be a variety of opinions about doing this or not. I realise that if a cam belt snaps it can do a lot of damamge so what is the best plan ?

Ian D - Bedfordshire

an60an

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI 5 speed 2003 Golf TDI 5 speed
I have a June 2008 Golf Match purchased from a VW dealer a year ago. It had one owner and 10,000 miles on clock. I have done 20,000 taking it to 30,000.

When I checked it in for a service last week the dealer wanted to change the cam belt and told me this is what VW advise at either 40,000 or four years. The cost is £335.

I see this is a common issue but should I change the belt and if I do perhaps I should go to a non franchised dealer. A few people seem to say change the water pump at the same time but there seems to be a variety of opinions about doing this or not. I realise that if a cam belt snaps it can do a lot of damamge so what is the best plan ?

Ian D - Bedfordshire
Welcome to the forum Ian.
To answer your question, yes VW did say that either 60K miles or 4 years whatever first. Water pump, it is a very good move, from the info over the years from UK members looks like you can get new WP for around £40/50 of your money :D so it is not a lot more. There is a guy here "MikeMars" he is UK member and very active so you could get in touch with him for some info, but your car is out of official warranty and looks like your dealer service is much, much better than ours here so perhaps you could do it there. One other important thing I have notice over the years for the UK is that some time if you go to a different VAG dealer (like Audi, Seat or Skoda) you could get the same job done for less, after all they all use the same parts and tools :D I wish we could have such a choice here.

eric.mathison

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat b5.5
the dealer will prolly do a better job then independent unless they have a guru at the independent.

HiltonjaceVwTdi

TDI
2000 VW TDI
i would say that you should buy and timing belt kit, i dont know that 335 euros translates into dollars but, i bought a timing belt kit from boraparts for $300 US currancy and it cam with all the rollers the stretch bolts and a cam seal and a metal impeller water pump as well as a new serpentine belt i upgraded the shipping and the threw in a kevlar enforce belt that is stronger then the stock belt, by installing this kit i increased my TB change interval from 60K to 100K i would look into this, i put it in myself no big deal but who you will have put it in is up to you,