Peugeot and Citroen to make comeback in the US?

Willy den CGI

Veteran Member
PSA Peugeot Citroen is considering returning to the US
car market before Renault SA, France's second-biggest
carmaker, is able to establish a presence there.

Just Auto

Maybe you can start to hope for this beauty shown in Frankfurt last year?

Elixir

Power for the 407 Elixir is provided by an all-new, 6-cylinder 2,700cc HDi diesel engine. This engine features the latest-generation particulate emission filter, ensuring automatic regeneration without any mileage limitations. The maximum power developed by this DT17 type diesel engine is 148 kW (more than 200 bhp), with a maximum torque figure of 440 Nm.

ksharrington

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Won't happen any time soon. Both Peugeot and Citroen are Euro based companies and due to their extended absence from the US, they are not properly hedged. The current exchange rate will effectively kill off any chance of them being able to market their cars in the US with any sort of profit margin.

Remember, both these brands are considered in the US to be about on par with the Koreans for quality. Unless they can significantly alter that opinion, they will have to compete at the Korean price point. That is not going to happen.

All that said, I have driven both brands recently and I agree they are fine cars with some of the best style in the world. Too bad they already have 2 strikes against them in the US market.

AutoDiesel

Veteran Member
That could change if they would invest in the U.S. and build a factory here. Probably would never happen as even VW refuses to do so.

I've made the decision that if the vehicle isn't at least assembled in our country I'm not going to be buying it.

Pretty soon that might only be the Japanese makes as they keep investing here and creating jobs and even the "American" makes are leaving in droves and laying off more and more people.

christi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Peugeot 806, 607
I am quite happy with my Peugeot people carrier. It has had some problems (but then it has been a taxi for 130,000 miles). I think that it has had less trouble, and worn better that a friends VW people carrier.

The quality of French cars has improved dramatically since they were last sold in the USA.

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
[ QUOTE ]
The quality of French cars has improved dramatically since they were last sold in the USA.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would tend to agree with this. I lived in France for a year and had the opportunity to drive many different (tiny) cars. One of my favorites was the Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD. I would buy one if I could. /images/graemlins/smile.gif