The "What did you do to your B4 today" thread...

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
What brand are the master and slave? OEM? ATE? I had a bad new master before. No visible issues, but the replacement definitely worked better, same brand same vendor.

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
It's the Doorman CS360038 that I have. I'll look at alternates.

If the external seal fails on the slave, brake fluid dumps onto the clutch. I'm not the first it's happened to.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
It's the Doorman CS360038 that I have. I'll look at alternates.

If the external seal fails on the slave, brake fluid dumps onto the clutch. I'm not the first it's happened to.
Eww Dorman! Come on man. ATE TRW OEM FAE that's who I'd trust with seals.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
Personally I would only buy Dorman for "inert" parts with no mechanical function. Definitely not hydraulic parts...

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
There's a reason we don't like dorman window regulators , or meyle harmonic balancers, or Meyle control arm bushings , or sway bar bushings, or motor mounts . Moot point because one item, I'd say otherwise.

You know prothe sells a windshield washer reservoir cap that doesn't self destruct.... ;)

*elbow into ribs*

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Different type of parts so it's apples to oranges. Prothe also isn't a brand :p. Jeremy, I'll pay you a $20 is switch out the master cylinder does actually fix the issue. If not, you owe me a $20. Deal?

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
All the meyle parts I mentioned were rubber.

And no, chase your own clutch issues on this one ;p I'm not touching that dorman. Watch, that Dorman has casting issues around the seal where the reservoir is , IF everyone else is right.

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The one I mentioned was rubber too.

I opened up both I had and there were no casting or machining issues with either. I'll post back when I get to this tid bit of the car.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Dormann didn't make it so I don't really know if a person can label all Dormann stuff as bad.

I have little experience with their hydraulic stuff but I can say I've used some really lower end stuff in the past and it has surprised me how well it lasts. Seems to me I bought a slave cylinder from RA that was allegedly Exedy and although it arrived in a no name box I used it and it has held up for I think 3-4 years now. IIRC I paid all of $12 for that slave....

Checked intercooler today on the B3V for oil, there was perhaps 1/8 cup of oil at the cooler, just about 14,000 miles since it went on the road last April. I can't say I'm concerned about the quantity but I'd be ok if it had a separator attached to it. I've considered moving the separator from the Mk3 to the B3V.

Trans drain port is moist, cleaned and tightened a little more. still have a small oil leak but it's gotten a lot less since the valve cover gasket was replaced.

Steve

Last edited:

Bullet Tooth

TDI
96 B4 wagon 97 B4 sedan
Put in a new power steering pump and took her on her first ride since I got it back in November. Runs great, hard to believe it has almost 300k on it. Also it makes me happy to have gauges in it now. Now I have to adjust the pulley mount in the pump since I pressed it in a little too far, but I just had to take her out since she's been sitting for far too long.

tigers2007

Veteran Member
TDI
'97 Passat TDI Sedan (B4)
I haven't logged into TDIclub since November 2016. Glad to see the familiar names still in the game. I just put the battery back in it (stored in the garage with a Noco genius charger) and the old '97 fired up on the first turn of the key. I haven't driven this car since October and it drove just fine today. Such an unbreakable machine. Price lowered to $1000 .... $100,000 worth of blood, sweat, and tears into this jalopy. I seriously considered buying a couple fenders and donating two days worth of work to sand it down and give it a fresh coat of base/clear. Maybe I'll do that on my next days off. I'm tempted to call my insurance agent tomorrow and get it legal for highway use.

nh nam vet

Veteran Member
TDI
2- 97 Passats , 02 Jetta
Today I pulled my back up plan (BUP) B4 TDI sedan into the garage onto the Rhino Ramps to accomplish three tasks. First, I wanted to remove the 4 old and tired Runway RWT-1 snow tires on factory steel rims (that I mounted when my DD started leaking G12) and remount the excellent condition Kumho Solus KH16 tires mounted on OEM/Votex 7 spoke mag wheels. Next, while the front wheels were off, I wanted to mount front wheel splash guards (aka mud flaps) which I never got around to doing after the 2015 eBay sight unseen purchase. And, finally, while up in the air, I would remove the plastic belly pan and investigate the source of an engine oil leak.

I bought the new OEM front splash guards, ZVW-166-305, from Quirk Parts on eBay. Here is what my driver's side looks after being mounted on my BUP:

Here is what my previous project car's front fender well looked like without the benefit of front splash guards for 18 years:

Coincidentally, with so much rust, I decided to donate that B4 TDI to the National Veterans Service Fund for a $500 credit on my 2016 Federal Taxes, although, in hindsight, the street legal rolling ride was worth more than that. Life is short however, and I'm not getting any younger pushing 67 years old.

I have an extra set of new, unopened OEM front splash guards and a set of used front splash guards, minus packaging and hardware, shown here. PM if interested.

As far as I'm concerned, the rear splash guards are pure Bling. They look cool and nicely flaunt the VW logo, but offer little protection and are hard to come by these days. The two sets that I've purchased for my DD and BUP were bought on eBay UK. The P/N is: 3A5-075-101. Vanity is expensive. I paid $68.00 for a set of rear mud flaps in 2013. Shown here:

My most important improvement to both my DD and my BUP was the addition of LED lights for both B4's. I went to this web site:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/veh...hicle-led-lights?make=79&model=1252&year=1997

I ordered: LED tail light bulbs, LED back up light bulbs, LED brake (STOP) light bulbs, and LED license plate light bulbs for both rides. I avoided flashing bulbs, e.g. turn signals, etc. for the moment. I wanted to see what level of difference I was going to visually achieve. So far, so good; I have much greater visibility, and hopefully I reduce the risk of getting hit.

When installing the upgraded LED license plate bulbs, I found that some bulb sockets simply fell apart. I ordered some used from eBay and new from Jim Ellis VW in Atlanta, shown here:

Also, a couple of the license plate light lenses were opaque, and basically toast, so I found new items available from Jim Ellis VW, shown here:

So now I can more easily be seen from the rear with bright LED lights, but it looks like I need to replace the O ring on my oil cooler if I want to slow down my oil leak.

Doing my part to keep IDParts and the global economy running. Jeff

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Jeff-I think I may have an o-ring for the oil cooler-I need to check my stash of extra B4 stuff.If I do,I can throw it in an envelope and send it if you need one....Update 3/21/17- I don't have an o-ring in my stash-must've went to the local guy that bought alot of my parts....

Last edited:

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
Ripped in to my Jetta to yank the motor for the Passat.... Lock carrier is out, nearly all the wiring is out, all fluids drained, exhaust unhooked... About 1.5hrs work left then my AHU is free of its former home. Then I'll have to start on the B3... Little less excited to disassemble Petra but the end result will be worth it.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
Nice :) Could you post a picture of the new lighting? interested to see the difference

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI
'67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '10 Cup Edition
Changed the oil on the mk3 on Sunday morning and realized I have a pretty nasty leak of some sort. Got to looking around and realized that my power steering fluid reservoir is cracked. :( New one should be here tomorrow...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
My B4 is going to Kraftwerke today for a new A/C Condenser. I'm going to put a new radiator in while it's apart. Even though it's not leaking, seems like a good idea after 20 years.

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
its been more than a few days since ive kept up with this thread. i did some research, came up with an old mk4 over-heat topic, and a cool running looks like it was a mk3 like me -us :p. so looks like water pump is ok, gets warm, but takes way long to get some heat in it. she heats up to about oh 140dg and if still @idle it will warm up more, but as soon as air gets across radiator, it cools back down(140dg or so). heater works, although i need to fix/seal blend doors, get some heat out of heater. does not over heat, wont heat up, and like i said, takes some time, and then some to get some heat(registering on gauge). main hose to upper rad is warm, but not hot, lower hose from rad to thermo is Cold! :eek::confused:. other hoses, are warmer than upper hose(coming off head to rad), connector pipe, which (obviously) comes from heater core, and also reservoir is warmest, bordering on hot. i was going to put in a new thermo, have one im going to get tomorrow, and a new thermo plastic housing on order, should be able to pick it up tomorrow as well. just am going to have to make an extra run to get new 6m screws and such, and a housing o-ring.

Last edited:

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You used the shift key to capitalize the word "Cold" and select parentheses. If you're in your 30's or later on in years, go back to school. If you're younger than that, I'd like to ask if you dropped out. Yeah, I know this is a touch rude, but your writing is difficult to read...

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
this is a forum right? not an english class, i mean im not looking for such sarcastic replies,
anyways sorry for de long post, it was a pretty straight forward post above, kind of could use some input; before (i did it again, mis-puncuation :eek: ) i go and try a new thermo. (as if mis-puncuation is even in the dictionary :p).

Last edited:

thechoochlyman

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
Conciseness (using fewer words to express what you're saying) would go a long way. The grammar makes your posts difficult to understand, but you could use 1/3 of the words and still get your point across more clearly.

Having said that, I think it sounds like you should change the thermostat and see what happens.

Col Sanders

Veteran Member
TDI
97 B4 Green And it's Possessed 2001 Audi A4 AFN SWAP
WOW! Reading all the post of work members have done, I feel ashamed. I have did nothing, nothing, nothing! Turn the key and away I go. ID Parts will probably go in chapter 11. I know Steve Addy is glad. PM about everyday for something I was stuck on! Good times. TDI on.

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
yea, goin to get into thermo soon, looking at it, posts here, manual, and having done one, i kind of botched before; im trying to figure what to do with the p/s bracket, may try to rotate it out of place 1st. take adjustment bolt out of front adj bracket, loosen a few other bolts, maybe have to remove one or more, take the 2 bolts out of bottom of bracket, one long, one med, you should know the bolts im talking about, and see if i can get space by rotating pump along with bracket, use something 'soft' or otherwise to hold it up to get into thermo housing, etc. gonna reuse the 'new' coolant i catch, always lose some by draining, but i simple filter it, and it has always turned out alright after, good for re-usage; as long as its not old.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
WOW! Reading all the post of work members have done, I feel ashamed. I have did nothing, nothing, nothing! Turn the key and away I go. ID Parts will probably go in chapter 11. I know Steve Addy is glad. PM about everyday for something I was stuck on! Good times. TDI on.
I never minded that you PM'd me every day...lol :)

Steve