Gear Shift indicator lights in panel all solid flashing

fuforums

TDI
2004 New Beetle GLS TDI DSG, 2006 Touareg V10 Tdi
I just got my 04 with DSG and it has done this to me 3 times already. Goes into neutral (or clutch in) and all the gear indicator shift lights in the digital panel on the instrument cluster start flashing. I had to shut down and restart and it seemed ok but I don't want this to keep happening. Anybody know why it would do this? Otherwise seems to drive great so far.

fuforums

TDI
No codes at all with an OBD2 scanner. I don't have VaGCOm so not sure if there are any secret codes but otherwise all clear.

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
Dsg

My 04 has a triptronic transmission. Didn't think DSG was offered until 05 or 06.:confused:

fuforums

TDI
As far as I know it was only offered on the TDi Beetles. Can you say "rare"? It even has OnStar (which is now useless) to boot. Awesome to drive!

chinaloy

Veteran Member
TDI
1999,2001 Jettas
on the old 01m 4 spd auto, when the drive indicator blacked out, it indicated a transmission fault.
You need to get a vag reading. the code is probably stored in the transmission computer.

fuforums

TDI
Do you think the demo version will do that? I hate to buy the whole full version for a few things.

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
VagCom

Go to autozone or advanced auto to have them read any codes. Doubt that any "Demo version?" will help you.

fuforums

TDI
I finally got a code. It does it about once every other day or so. P0701 which is transmission control rangegperformance. Ok what does that mean and where do I start to fix it? Thanks.

chinaloy

Veteran Member
TDI
1999,2001 Jettas
might be the speed sensor.
I think a vag com will give you a more definitive readout.

fuforums

TDI
Ok got VAG and got the same code:

Friday,15,August,2008,10:27:07:26648
VCDS Version: Release 805.0
Data version: 20080730

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address 02: Auto Trans
Control Module Part Number: 02E 300 041 H
Component and/or Version: GSG DSG 0617
Software Coding: 0000020
Work Shop Code: WSC 44551
1 Fault Found:

17085 - Transm. Control Module Range/Performance (SAE) or Control
Module Defective (VAG)
P0701 - 004 - No Signal/Communication

So that's the code. Maybe a module failing? Or maybe a plug going bad or needs cleaning and diaelectric grease? I just got the VAG so I don't really know where to start. I just hope its simple to fix. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

JetterBug

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI Manual 2001 Jetta GLS TDI Manual 2004 Beetle GLS TDI DSG 2010 Jetta TDI DSG
I am currently working on exactly the same problem on exactly the same vehicle. Please let me know if you figure anything out. I will do the same. So far:

I bought the car (2004 Beetle TDI w/DSG) used and drove with zero problems for days except that lights seemed a little dim.
I changed the battery and the problem started.
Considered battery issue and changed for genuine VW 72 Ah battery from dealership.
Following low voltage thought, removed alternator and had tested by multiple pros who said it had no issues.
Maybe some settings need resetting or tweaking after battery replacement? Many people here say no, but the dealership, along with others, say that it does.
That is my next step. check settings and then check for shorted or weak wire between alternator and battery, under battery box, leading to trans, etc.
Flashing shift indicator (PRND123) and P0701 code.
Vag Com shows nothing but same code. Trans temp is normal. (Considered trans temp sensor issue found on later models)
Problem seems to come and go with no rhyme or reason.
Sometimes is perfect for only a minute and sometimes a week or more.
I am a mechanic but not very familiar with these cars yet.
I do, however, have someone helping me that is very familiar with them.
He has not, unfortunately, seen this particular issue before.

fuforums

TDI
I am currently working on exactly the same problem on exactly the same vehicle. Please let me know if you figure anything out. I will do the same. So far:
I bought the car (2004 Beetle TDI w/DSG) used and drove with zero problems for days except that lights seemed a little dim.
I changed the battery and the problem started.
Considered battery issue and changed for genuine VW 72 Ah battery from dealership.
Following low voltage thought, removed alternator and had tested by multiple pros who said it had no issues.
Maybe some settings need resetting or tweaking after battery replacement? Many people here say no, but the dealership, along with others, say that it does.
That is my next step. check settings and then check for shorted or weak wire between alternator and battery, under battery box, leading to trans, etc.
Flashing shift indicator (PRND123) and P0701 code.
Vag Com shows nothing but same code. Trans temp is normal. (Considered trans temp sensor issue found on later models)
Problem seems to come and go with no rhyme or reason.
Sometimes is perfect for only a minute and sometimes a week or more.
I am a mechanic but not very familiar with these cars yet.
I do, however, have someone helping me that is very familiar with them.
He has not, unfortunately, seen this particular issue before.
Turned out it was a bad mechatronics unit. There is no way to fix them. They have to be replaced and ordered from Germany and coded to your vin. Back then it cost me 1800 just for the unit plus labor. The idiot dealer tried an alternator swap that wasn't necessary so I ended up spending 3200 total. Needless to say I'm no longer a VW owner but I miss the the styling and handling. I need something dependable so I got rid of them. I feel sorry for someone who needs a mechatronics unit because the dealers usually don't have any clue what they are doing so you have to teach them how to be mechanics.
The car will go into limp home mode if this happens to you again it will give you first and third gear only but you can get home that way. Mine started doing it daily so I'd drive and it will have to nearly redline then it shifts to 3rd and you can Rev to about 45 mph, pop it in N, coast till you slow down, go back to D, then repeat till you get home. Drove it that way while I waited 7 weeks for shipment. I had to call and scream at VW Care to finally get it shipped. After it was replaced it was fine till I sold it.