Best headlight bulb?

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Yes, i know you cant touch the bulb!

As i stated i drive alot!!! and the bulbs never last. If you dont drive that much they will certanly last longer. I switched back to the standard replacement and they have already exceeded the silver star's life. Also, i cant tell a difference in the qaulity of light output!

I thought the DRL feature was required by law?
DOT-approved Silverstars are terrible. They are coated to enhance color, but that hurts light output. They don't last for crap either.

I stand by my recommendation of the Osram Hyper (rallye) 65W bulbs. I've used them for no less than 4 years in 3 or 4 different cars and never had one blow.

DRL is not required by law in the USA, only in Canada. It's a standard feature on North American VWs, but we all know it's a checkbox in VCDS that can change it.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
I also am done with the SilverStars as they do not last worth a hoot. Thanks for the info on the Osrams.:cool:

TDI
06 Silver w/ 5 speed..
Nobody has tried PIAA bulbs?
I am about to swap out my highbeam only for a set of PIAA's....
standard wattage with 110 watt equivalant.. It's all in the glass and the gas.

Mind you thay are pricey, I agree..

Q-Ship

TDI
2009 Jetta, U Boat Grey
Thanks for the input. I just did my 70k timing belt (OUCH$$$) and when I went to leave the dealership, wouldn't you know, I lost the left front. Was considering silverstars, butv will look at something else. I also turned off my DRLs for this reason and also to torque off the Protecting Us From Ourselves Department. Are OSRAM available retail?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)

Q-Ship

TDI
2009 Jetta, U Boat Grey
From everything I've read, the timing belt for 2009 vehicles and newer should be replaced at 80k. I put a lot of miles on the vehicle and travel a lot. It was more convenient for me to have it done now versus wait. Where did you see "the recommended 120k"?

bakdoor

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta, 2006 Jetta (gone), 1999 Jetta-blue (gone,) 1999 Jetta-green (gone)
I'm going to give a +1 for the Osram Rallye 65W H7 as well. Been using them for about 2 years now, and even though they're $20 a bulb, they do light the night better than the stock bulb. I haven't had anyone flash at me either, despite the "off-road only" rating. I don't think the Po-Po have the time, inclination, or equipment for pulling you over for a bulb that's 10W over stock. My only complaint is having to replace them yearly, but that's largely because I'm in and out of my car 10 times a day, and all the "DRL on, DRL off" cycles prematurely shorten their life. I know I should turn them off, but I don't have a VAG-COM and my dealer won't do it for me. I am tempted to try an LED H7 but I don't know if they have the necessary light output.

Elfnmagik

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently De-Dub'd
From everything I've read, the timing belt for 2009 vehicles and newer should be replaced at 80k. I put a lot of miles on the vehicle and travel a lot. It was more convenient for me to have it done now versus wait. Where did you see "the recommended 120k"?
Is it not listed in your manual in the Maintenence Schedule?

Back to bulbs.

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
Any updates on the light bulb situation. I'm about to install I believe a Wagner and a friend suggested the Silver Stars.

He just installed them in a non VW and is impressed. But he certainly hasn't been running them long enough to knowlongevity.

And the car he installed them in is much easier to change bulbs that a VW.

I happen to have a Golf.

Andy_2009_JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI (DSG)[SOLD BACK], 2012 Golf 2.5L Gasser (5MT), 2017 Alltrack S (6MT)
My personal favorite is the Osram Rallye 65W H7. I've ran them collectively for at least 3 or 4 years in different cars and the output is excellent and they LAST, most importantly. The marginal increase in wattage isn't a problem either.

http://store.candlepower.com/osraulhiouh7.html
This was a great recommendation. I had one of my headlights burn out recently and based on the comments in this thread bought some of these Rallye 65W ones. I've had this new 65W one on one side and an original (3.5 years on it, but with the DRL option off) on the other for a few weeks -- this new one is definitely better. It fills the area with more light, and seems to be just slightly whiter.

Thanks again. If it lasts 3+ years I'll be more than happy.

backhoeken

Veteran Member
Will the wiring of a 2009 jetta be able to handle the increase in current draw. I know the 2000 jetta wiring would not?

digitalextremes

TDI
2k10 Jetta Sedan
This was a great recommendation. I had one of my headlights burn out recently and based on the comments in this thread bought some of these Rallye 65W ones. I've had this new 65W one on one side and an original (3.5 years on it, but with the DRL option off) on the other for a few weeks -- this new one is definitely better. It fills the area with more light, and seems to be just slightly whiter.

Thanks again. If it lasts 3+ years I'll be more than happy.
Don't compare a brand new bulb with an older bulb specially when they are different brands and types, the color of light may change over time.

You have to allow time for color shifting before you can compare the light colors, google "HID bulb color shifting" for more info.

Vipervnm

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Package 1
After 3 sets of Sylvania Silverstars in under 2.5 years I'm on to try the Osram Night Breaker Plus H7s. Here's hoping for more longevity!

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
I found one of my headlights burnt out this morning and have been searching to see what the best replacement is. As I've found most of the threads to be outdated. Seems like most prefer Osram silver stars or Phillips X-treme power H7's.

I'm ok with stock H7's just though I'd change both out anyhow as they both are original to the car. Figured I'd see what everyone that's change them went to before I buy. I will have to buy and install what I can find locally today.

Thanks, and sorry if I missed any pertanient threads while searching. This thread has given me the most info but it's almost 5 yrs old, http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=171320&highlight=brightest+H7.
The Best Headlight Bulb is the one that Lights up at Night Time.

redvw

TDI
Jetta
After 3 sets of Sylvania Silverstars in under 2.5 years I'm on to try the Osram Night Breaker Plus H7s. Here's hoping for more longevity!
I have been using Osram Night Breaker Plus H7s for the past six month. The light is a great improvement over the OEM bulbs. I am hoping they last at least 12 months.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I bought some.cheesy h7 ultra silverstars from sylvania back in 7/14 from poopzone.. One finally popped called and got 2 new replacements from manufacturer for free.

Not sure to ride out these freebies or try the mentioned 65 watters in previous posts

I like the 4k color spread. nice at night and surprisingly bearable in snow
. Just wish they last longer. Only made 15k miles drl on. But I drive so close to dawn/dusk drl off wouldn't matter.

Opinions?

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Hmm. Interesting. Maybe the 65 want element can handle more vibration and shock? Reason people have had better results?

Quick and cheap way to brighten a bulb is to over-amp/over volt a wire. Or make the wire lighter.

Seems like "off road" elements are beefier?

edge130

Veteran Member
TDI
Wife's 2009 Jetta TDI sedan (2009 - 2017)
Osram Ralle 65w H7

I also use and like the Osram ralle 65 H7 bulbs.
They seem to be lasting good for me.
Got them on Ebay

Like to smear a small amount of bulb grease onto the tabs, also I use a latex glove so that I don't contaminate bulb glass with oil.

I replaced high beams and low beams with same lamp

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
i haven't had a hibeam burn out yet. since you used the same bulb in both style fixtures, how is one brighter? does ecm do something with the trigger/voltage? or is the reflector actually made different to reflect light differently?

one of my 2009's got whacked up pretty good in an accident. not worth repairing for road use. so decided to use it for some offroad play.

curious if they make h7's without the metal tit covering on the glass tip, i was going to try and find any bulbs like that, and remove the 'vw' cover inside the lens, better light at night when playing through the bushes.

ideas?

http://www.amazon.com/MTEC-4X-Super-White-Wattage/dp/B004N2T5NE
100 watters, those even legal? i doubt 90% of vehicle spaghetti harness out there can even handle that amp draw?
probably a package label scam.

Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Going off road, I would look at some nice off road LED packs mounted to a roof rack.

Tony_agr

TDI
2012 Jetta,2013 Jetta
Front Headlight Buld replacement

Forgive me if I sound stupid, But how do you go about changing a headlight bulb? the bulb that was out was the daytime running light on Driver side and the same side main headlight, how do you get to them??? I tried removing the Plastic cap? which it says in the owners manual, No Joy... taking the air box cover off gave a little more room but removing the whole air box,again No Joy VW had some weird looking fasteners that apparently don't come loose.
this is a 2013 Jetta TDI BTW.. while I'm on it VW doesn't make anything easy.. Ireally think it was designed so the layman doesnt have a chance.. my Daughter ended up taking the thing to a dealer and they had to remove the bumper to replace the bulbs ($285!) it says nothing about removing the bumper in the owners manual. We just got my wifes 14 Jetta "Fixed" mileage is down (we'll know how much after this tank of fuel) and I heard what sounds like an injector(s) clattering from dead stop take off 2 times right after the "fix".
I got to say, as much as I liked these cars ,I dont believe VW built in much owner serviceability so that they can increase their bottom line many times over after the original sale.. also the fact that State a federal Gov't got millions of dollars from the settlement and we got squat is total BS also
Ok I'm done for now but will be back for some smarter than me "how to's"
Thanks