Kreen---internal engine cleaner

dparnell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I put a hole in my oil pan @4000Mi( rough dirt roads). I put a new one on and filled up with 15-40 reqular oil. I also added 16oz of Kreen which is supposed to keep your engine clean. The oil was dark @ 4000 mi but not pitch black. I figured the engine couldn't be very dirty inside @ 4000 mi but since I was adding a thicker oil than I wanted, I'd add the Kreen also. Checked the oil a couple of times after that to make sure of level and the oil was the only very slightly darker. After about 650 miles, the oil is darker than it was at 4000 miles.
There was more crap in the engine than I thought.
Conclusion:
It works.
Also put some in the fuel and noticed increased power.

------------------

dparnell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Kreen is made by Kano Labs @ www.kanolabs.com I've been using it for about 6-7 months now. It's not like any other cleaner I have used. It's a dirivative of one of their other products, Kroil---which is the best nut/bolt loosener I've used. I've had many customers use WD40 as a lubricant. While it has some lubricating properties, it's really a solvent---if you get reral greasy, spray WD40 on your hands before using any cleaner---it will dissolve most of the grease.
The consistency of Kreen is that of WD40. The way I think it works is that it gets into all the nooks and crannies the the detergents in the oil miss and gets the crapola suspended in the oil before it evaporates in a short time. I have used it in all my cars, trucks and generators. You also put it in your fuel and it decarbonizes and cleans it. After running 50 gallons of treated fuel thru my Onan generator, I had a TREMENDOUS amount of soot at the exhaust point. The engine was more quiet and ran better.
The same time I put it in the oil of my Golf I also put it in the fuel---I noticed more power. The current tank is treated with DEE-ZOL and I have noticed a decrease in power. I have noticed increses power in the gas vehicles as well. Mileage is tough to calculate since my fuel comes from my own tanks(the local gas stations' cheapest gas is $2.12.9). I like it so much, I went thru 2 five gallon pails in the first 6-7 months and just received a 55 gallon drum.

------------------

lundgrji

Engines do get dirty inside, even with regular oil changes and more so with dino oil. I've taken apart high mileage engines which appeared clean inside, except for the varnish coating the parts. No sludge, just a nice even carmel color painted over all the surfaces. Hot oil breaks down into carbon and varnish. The varnish restricts oil passageways and insulates internal engine parts, reducing the heat transfer to the oil, which increases oil temps and causes even more oil break-down and varnish formation. The condensation within the engine combines with the varnish and carbon, creating sludge. Additionally, condensation mixes with combustion by-products, including sulphur, to create acids which attack engine metals.
Once I became convinced that regular oil changes were not enough I started flushing my engine perodically. In fact, my VW dlr has a Bilstein engine flushing machine. I choose to add 8 oz of Gunk engine flush and let the engine idle 5 minutes. I drain the oil and then add 4 qts of cheapo, on sale, rebated, can barely give it away dino oil and agressively drive the car for 10-15 minutes. Afterwords I drain the oil again and replace the filter. The oil in my TDI does not get black for seveal thousand miles after flushing it. Without the flush it was black almost immediately.
I'd be concerned about leaving a strong solvent in the crankcase for extended periods, however.

RedTDIowner

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi A6 3.0 TDI
I hate bumping a thread after this many years but I have always heard that you should only use synthetic oil in our TDI's and never use an oil additive to it. Do you all agree or do you suggest adding things like Kreen, Marvel Mystery Oil or Auto-RX to clean out the inside of your diesel engine?

patbob

Veteran Member
TDI
was a 2013 Jetta TDI
I wouldn't bother, certainly for the newer cars. The oil gets black from the soot in the blowby, and no amount of engine flush is going to fix that. If you want clean-looking out, install a bypass oil filter that filters the soot out.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I agree that Kroil works very well as a penetrating oil for rusty bolts or any other stuck fastener. Now that is were I will stop agreeing. All these additives to the oil including Kreen are just making your wallet thinner. If you ran the correct synthetic in your engine and changed your oil at appropriate times you don't need any of that stuff. Following these forums how many oil related damages can you count being reported here?

Last edited:

RedTDIowner

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi A6 3.0 TDI
Thanks guys. That is what I thought. I have always used synthetic 5w40 oil and changed it at 5,000 miles so even though I am almost at 300,000 miles I won't worry about it.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Kroll, good stuff. Kreen, probably snake oil. Don't use it. Using the correct oil for your engine is all you will ever need to do.

Changing oil at 5K miles is a waste of resources. Look at your maintenance schedule. I believe it says 10K miles for oil changes. If nothing else on your engine breaks, you could easily go 400K miles without oil change issues at 10K intervals.

Last edited:

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Changing oil at 5K miles is a waste of resources.
It blows me away that people just can't shake the 3k mile oil change that has been pushed on the public for decades.

Especially when they are blowing sometimes $10 a liter on the stuff.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Yup. I remember 3K oil changes and 10K tune-ups. The past is what it is, the past. Time to move on to modern times..............