PD 150 intake manifold on stock A3/AHU

otm646

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 AHU Jetta.
I recently acquired a PD 150 intake manifold and an ALH race pipe from Peter at TDI parts.

Note I sawed a stock manifold in two. I will post photos of the flow restriction shortly.

Installation: fitment is a stock drop in with the EGR Deleted. I did not attempt installation with EGR installed.

The ALH race pipe will work with no modification but is not optimal. The race pipe is to long which moves the upper charge air pipe about 3/8ths of an inch towards the drives fender. This prevents the installation of the screw, nearest the fire wall, which secures the charge air pipes together.

Note Inability to insert screw.

I will have the revised race pipe fabricated within the week so peter can make the manifold completely drop in.

Performance gains: On a stock tune I was not expecting much. I was significantly surprised. A stock tune falls on its face with a rapid drop in power at 4k rpm.

With the only modification being the addition of the manifold the car pulls to 4400-4500rpm.

Economy: previously the car averaged 48.6. I am interested to see if the average changes with the new manifold installed.

Specifications:
1998 Jetta AHU 210k
EGR delete
Original injectors
Stock downpipe, stock flow replacement CAT, 2.5 stainless straight pipe from the CAT back

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
Hmmmm, that car looks familiar ;). Did you get the last hangar welded on?

Very nice to hear the gains! I'm sure they would be even more apparent with a tune.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hello,

Can the screw misalignment be minimized by shoving the hose further on to the racepipe or perhaps cutting the hose? I'm expecting to have one of these intakes soon. I suspect I will need to get it beadblasted before I install it (looks like it has a good coating of soot/oil/goop). Given the gains you report on a stock tune, it'll be interesting to see if I find an improvement at the top end with my mods. It would be REALLY cool if smoke is reduced even a little. I'm a freight train at WOT! :D

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
you don't need that bracket.. have cars running for years without, doens't hurt anything..

aside from that, I have the same manifold, also inlet to drivers side, and with mine the stud is at the top of the 90° bend, more like the oem location.. stange yours is different..

otm646

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 AHU Jetta.
I'm looking to make the solution 100% drop in.

I'v measured the amount i need to turn off the race pipe to make it fit. No reason to go thru all the work to procure and install it to not finish the job and make it totally drop in.

I'v got a guy locally to weld that hanger.

Jon Linn

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle 160,000 miles
With the PD150 intake, did you completely gut out the EGR cooler and all its hardware? Also, I have thought about using 2" Stainless Steel for the double intercooler piping that runs from the intake to the intercooler? That would fix the problem as well, but be a little more $$$. Also, what made choose to use that intake rather than the AFN style that the euro A3's used?

thanks,

validius

Lacking in ZDDP
TDI
1997 GTI TDI
Jon Linn said:
With the PD150 intake, did you completely gut out the EGR cooler and all its hardware? Also, I have thought about using 2" Stainless Steel for the double intercooler piping that runs from the intake to the intercooler? That would fix the problem as well, but be a little more $$$. Also, what made choose to use that intake rather than the AFN style that the euro A3's used?

thanks,
I'm working with Tom on this project so hopefully i can speak for him here.

the EGR cooler and all its hardware is gone, there is a blockoff place on tghe exhaust manifold.

Stainless would be nice for those pipes.

I got these manifolds because a rough visual inspection of pictures on the internet made them look better. Also, the PD150 manifolds support 150HP stock and the AFM manifold supports 110HP stock. It seemed like the logical thing to do...

Jon Linn

Veteran Member
TDI
validius said:
Also, the PD150 manifolds support 150HP stock and the AFM manifold supports 110HP stock. It seemed like the logical thing to do...
Support; as implying that just by switching out intakes to the PD150 a person could gain 50-60 hp? Could you explain a bit more, please? Aso, what is the cost comparison between the AFN and PD150 manifolds?

otm646

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 AHU Jetta.
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=66969

I'm assuming this is an AFN manifold. If I'm mistaken let me know.

The AFN manifold looks to be similar in design to the AHU. The AHU/AFN manifold has almost no runners.

The AHU manifold has a large restriction where it makes the 90 degree bend down into the plenum. The PD 150 manifold has no such restriction.

With the PD 150 manifold the EGR is removable eliminating the intake restriction of the EGR assembly.

TDIparts is looking at making a custom race pipe for this application. durring fabrication, or even after, it is simple to make the length adjustment.

The cost is likley similar for either manifold if you could source them used.

validius said that the PD manifold flows enough air for a 150 HP stock vs 110 hp for the AFN manifold. This would infer that the PD 150 manifold is better flowing to to support the higher hp output. I agree.

Last edited:

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
More like support, as in implying that the factory motors that these intakes are installed on are rated to 150hp. vs 110hp for the AFM unit.

Not implying that by just changing the manifold you are gaining any huge amount of power. but you are gaining the ABILITY to support the airflow to make 150hp.

validius

Lacking in ZDDP
TDI
1997 GTI TDI
Jon Linn said:
Support; as implying that just by switching out intakes to the PD150 a person could gain 50-60 hp? Could you explain a bit more, please? Aso, what is the cost comparison between the AFN and PD150 manifolds?
Not sure about the cost. Every order of these i can get are going to cost a different amount of money as exchange rates change as well as the cost of the parts themselves.

Unless i can get one extremely cheap shipped with an order of other parts coming from .de i will not be getting an AFN manifold. I can tell just by looking at them they suffer much of the same restriction at the 90 degree bend that makes the stock AHU manifold so bad.

If anyone disagrees they are more then welcome to buy me some time with a flowbench and i'l find out for sure :D

Jon Linn

Veteran Member
TDI
Growler said:
More like support, as in implying that the factory motors that these intakes are installed on are rated to 150hp. vs 110hp for the AFM unit.

Not implying that by just changing the manifold you are gaining any huge amount of power. but you are gaining the ABILITY to support the airflow to make 150hp.
Ok, I understand better now. Thanks. This only means as you said before, that the PD150 has better air flow than a normal 1z/AHU manifold. Got it.

Has anyone done a before and after dyno on a stock car or decently modified car with the PD150 vs the stock A3 intake?

validius

Lacking in ZDDP
TDI
1997 GTI TDI
Jon Linn said:
Ok, I understand better now. Thanks. This only means as you said before, that the PD150 has better air flow than a normal 1z/AHU manifold. Got it.

Has anyone done a before and after dyno on a stock car or decently modified car with the PD150 vs the stock A3 intake?
Nope, other then the 5 that we (Otm646, Matt|98AHU and I) ordered i know of only one more of these in the USA and the owner did not do before and after runs.

I sent one to StealthTDI who had it on his doorstep this mornin. Hopefully he will post his experience.

I am working on getting more of these but right now i cannot put fourth any time line for when more will arrive. All 5 i have now are spoken for.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Hello,

Yes, I received my PD150 manifold. It has some soot build-up from the EGR. I'm going to have it bead blasted before installing it. I may have it installed and running by the middle of next week. I'll be sure to report if I feel a difference.

On a side note, I'm looking to relocate my W/M nozzle to just above the intercooler (post IC). Then I may be able to see how the W/M affects IAT. I do not plan to tap into my race pipe.

Later,

Scott

cog

Veteran Member
TDI
98 GT.TDI 11O
it depends what youre after . i think it made a difference to me mainly becuase the pd 150 intake was cleaned and my old one was coked up. the main benefit seemed to be shifting tourque from low to mid and high rpms . it deffinatly goes much better in the mid range from 3krpm

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
numbnuts said:
I fitted this manifold onto my modified 1z and the butt dyno says no much difference to be honest if any:rolleyes:
Numbnuts you would needs a head job cam and plenum intake to feel/see any benifits m8:rolleyes: :)

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I have the same manifold. Combined with my other mods the car really pulls to redline. I bought mine 2-3 years ago off a european Ebay for $20 with $50 shipping. A friend made the race pipe before anybody had them commerially available in the states for the PD 150/130 intakes.

Engine specs:
1.9L AHU TDI(from a 1998 Jetta), European PD 130 Intake Manifold, Kerma PP764 Injector Nozzels, Custom 2"od Intercooler pipes, Slowe Racing EGR Delete, Techtonics Borla 2.25 Cat back, G60 fuel pump.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Whoa!

DbLog said:
Scott,
Where's the nozzle going? Before or after the MAF?
Goodness, definitely AFTER the MAF! I do not subscribe to the thought of injecting anywhere before the turbo, and possibly not even pre-IC. I'm considering locations between the IC and IAT sensor so the ECU (and I) can see the IAT drop.

I have my manifold/EGR apart for inspection. Check out cellphone pics: (this isn't a complaint, BTW)

I want to chuckle when I think back to our pre-ULSD days and how many here were certain our days of clogged EGRs/Intakes would be over once we had the good stuff here in NA. ;) I've pressure washed the manifold. Dang, I forgot what a messy job that is! I'll clean up a tad more tonight and then take it for bead blasting tomorrow to get it looking as pretty as Frank's above. :cool:

Later,

Scott

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Ah... My point wasn't clear. This manifold is from Germany where they've had the "good stuff" for years. The joke is on us Americans... the grass is always greener someplace else! ;) I look forward to testing. I'm STILL cleaning up the mess from cleaning the manifold. This stuff is EVERYWHERE. I've even washed the bottoms of my shoes since I think I tracked some onto the carpet. Ughhh! :D

Jon Linn

Veteran Member
TDI

Jon Linn

Veteran Member
TDI
Personally, I don't think this one looks to bad for a lot less. But, I am still learning when it comes to performance upgrades...

Only $35 a person would just have to get it shipped over here.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Jon Linn said:
Personally, I don't think this one looks to bad for a lot less. But, I am still learning when it comes to performance upgrades...

Only $35 a person would just have to get it shipped over here.
horrible airflow to 1&4, keep looking

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I bead blasted and then painted ;)

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
I just noticed/remembered something. This SMALL POTATOES. Is this actually a PD130 intake instead of a PD150 since this PN is from a Passat w/PD130? Or is it also featured on a chassis with PD150? Are we just calling it a PD150 since it's just about a mirror image of a PD150 intake.

Either explanation is cool with me. I just like to keep the details straight on my website. Thanks.

vin-diesel

TDI
98 jetta tdi 170k kms
a little off topic, but it looks like there is a hole ontop of your airbox.. mistake or is there a purpose if it really is a hole and not just my eyes.