Xylene vs Acetone for TDI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyperhyper

TDI
2014 Passat TDI Manual, Malone Tuning 1.5
I've seen some posts on the use of acetone as a diesel fuel additive. Anyone with experiences or knowledge about using Xylene? I've heard it's used in a lot of gassers.

highender

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
yes, you can add a little bit of xylene or acetone to diesel...or even biodiesel....to improve combustion and clean out the nozzles and chamber. with low sulfur diesel....there is less or no need to add this in any frequency.

however, if one chooses to add other chemical additives, only a small amount is needed. I add no more than 4 oz to the whole tank...so only 4 oz to 12 gallons.

you are your own warranty in doing so.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Unless you are using some kind of junk fuel, chances are you are getting all the additives you can use right now. Of course there are exceptions. Do you have any reason to believe you need something more?

naturist

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jeep Libby CRD, 2012 BMW X5 35d
Please understand that xylene has an octane rating of around 120. It is one of the aromatic compounds best removed from diesel fuel, and in fact removed from the best diesel fuel. Its addition is as bad an idea as adding racing gas. In fact, racing gas is likely to have elevated levels of xylene, since it has such a high octane rating.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
Acetone is a banned subject.

Xylene has a very high octane rating and no lubricity, bad for diesel fuel. Xylene is highly toxic if one inhales any vapors and is also easily absorbed into the skin, bad for humans.

Status
Not open for further replies.