Need more 12v outlets

TDIdaddy

I need more 12v power outlets. I always use a radar detector, and on longer road trips I also use a CB, and occasionally I need to plug in the cell phone.

Where can I tap power for a tripple cigaret lighter outlet? On my Pontiac Bonnivilles I just shoved the wire in a fuse and clipped groung to some metal. I don't think this would be a good idea in my Jetta.

------------------
2001 Jetta GLS Auto.
Met. Green/Tan Leather
Sunroof, Monsoon

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hi,

Why not go in behind the existing cigarette lighter and tap in there? Just remember that's a 15A circuit. But you shouldn't exceed that with your intended use. I'm not sure about A4s, but the cigarette lighter fuse is a real pain to access on the A3s.

If you're looking for a switched source, I used the "remote" for the stereo. It's the unfused lead from the ignition that stays hot until the key is removed. A word of caution: put a fuse in there. An accidental short cost me about $75 to get a new ignition switch (the electrical part, only) installed. The $3 fuse install will prevent future meltdowns.

Good Luck,

------------------
Scott's Jetta TDI Page and TDIClub.com Stuff
98 Jetta TDI w/100k, 802-mi/55-mpg (best)

STNK BG 1

Veteran Member
TDI
NB,2001,yellow
2001 NB has THREE "outlets", one in dash, one in center console, and one in hatch. Power outlet overkill!!!

------------------
2k1 NB 5 spd Yellow. CD changer, mud flaps. No engine mods
Putting my trust in German engineering.
Gisteren een droom...heden werkelykheid

The Ripster

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time
I had this same problem when I wired in a hands free kit, I did not want things hanging all over the place from outlets. If yours is close to my 99.5 Golf (I am betting it is) then under your feet, after removing the panels you will see three large bolts on the bottom of the beginning of the fuse panel with large red wires running to them.
Test them, you will find one is hot all the time, one is hot when the key is turned on.
FUSE all lines running to these points, but this will enable you to run anything within the car and hide all the connections.

GotDiesel?

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
I recently bought a duplex cigarette lighter adapter so I could charge the phone and run a GPS simultaneously. I saw a 3-holer while I was at the store, but couldn't imagine a use for the third spot so passed on it.

I think the 3-holer was about $20.