Jetta rear brakes

tobsav

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I need to do rotors and pads on the rear brakes of my 03 Jetta wagon.
What is the special tool needed?... and do I really need it?
thanks
T

Andrewh

Veteran Member
There are a couple of choices for tools. The caliper "piston' needs to be turned as it is pressed in. The one I see listed has a spreader and rotate part built in.
With a little skill, you can use the cube turner from autozone or napa, and push as you turn to get the piston back in. They may also rent them there, but the cube was like 12 bucks. Works on multiple applications. Not sure how much the "correct" tool costs.

Also you should open the bleeder when you do this and let the old fluid out that way. You should not push old fluid back into the system if you can help it.

rjr311

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon , 1996 Passat sedan
An easier way to state the fluid comment is:

If you are replacing pads, change the fluid as well.

You are already in the right positions for 50% of the work.

Andrewh said:
There are a couple of choices for tools. The caliper "piston' needs to be turned as it is pressed in. The one I see listed has a spreader and rotate part built in.
With a little skill, you can use the cube turner from autozone or napa, and push as you turn to get the piston back in. They may also rent them there, but the cube was like 12 bucks. Works on multiple applications. Not sure how much the "correct" tool costs.

Also you should open the bleeder when you do this and let the old fluid out that way. You should not push old fluid back into the system if you can help it.

pruzink

Veteran Member
TDI
GLS, 2004, silver
Just a few other quick things on doing the brakes

I just changed the pads front and rear on my daughter's Jetta this past weekend. I'm used to working on American cars and there are a few other things that you should be aware of. The bolts that you remove to get the rear calipers off are only about 1" long (The head is 13MM), you need to put a wrench on the slide bolt to stop them from turning as you remove these bolts (I think it was a 15mm wrench, or maybe 14). Normally, I clamp off the hose going to the rear caliper when I screw the piston back in, but I just could find a pliable rubber hose to do so so I just went with opening the bleeder valve as I screwed the piston back in. Being as that VW recomends flushing the brake fluid every 20K miles that is a good time to do so (they tell you to use DOT4 fluid, there have been previous posts where the newer synthetic Low Moisture Absorbance fluids are ok too, they say they meet & exceed DOT4). You definitely need a tool to screw the piston as it is compressed back into the cylinder.
If you do the front pads as you do the rear be aware of one thing. Only the front driver side inboard pad has the wear sensor. If you look at the other 3 pads they all look pretty much the same. They are not. The retaining clip for the inboard pad on the passenger side is just a tad bigger than the outboard pad retaining clips (as I found out the hard way). If you install that pad into one of the outer pad slots it will not fit quite right and you will not get the slide bolt holes lined up. There are plastic protector tubes around the front slide bolt heads, the plastic end to this tube pops off to allow access to the torx head slide bolts.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
The inside of the slides is a NARROW 15mm. Most normal box wrenches don't fit in there. Oh, and change the brake fluid FIRST. Never just leave the bleeder open, you risk too much air getting in the system.

tobsav

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
thanks everyone for the info....
couldn't quite tell what the "tool" did, and wondered if I could do it with my usual vise-grips and coat hanger technology!
all your input greatly appreciated!
cheers
T

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
No, you can't but others here have tried. Sometimes it works but it usually destroys the boot or the piston. Much cheaper to get the tool than the $130 caliper.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus