Adblue vs Blue Def

naturist

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jeep Libby CRD, 2012 BMW X5 35d
There's a lot of difference in the quaility of the DEF fluid out on the market but as long as you're buying a good quaility ISO certified DEF in a sealed container you should be fine. Contamination is the biggest issue with DEF. VW can only deny warranty strictly related to the part failed so if like your HHFP went out they can't use DEF as an excuse to deny warranty of a totally un-related part.
Sorry, nonsense. The composition of DEF is specified in the EPA regs. They are required to make it to spec, and they can't add any "special sauce," not even dye, to distinguish theirs from all the others. It is ONLY urea and distilled water, at a fixed ratio, and there are no variations allowed. The result is that DEF is a commodity, one brand is the same as any other. There is NO difference in quality. Buy the cheapest one you can find; you are getting exactly the same stuff as the most expensive brand you can find.

As for DEF vs. HPFP, at no point does the DEF come in contact with the HPFP, so there is never any reason why the one should have any bearing whatsoever on the other.

The only issues with DEF is (a) whether you are actually buying DEF, as some folks have been known to buy a jug, pour it into their truck, refill with tap water, and return the jug to the store for credit; and (b) when pouring it into the tank, some idiot has managed to add grease, oil, or plain water in the process. Some folks can't take a whiz without hosing down the entire room, you know what I mean?

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
The system itself isn't the problem, it is that "no start" "no more driving" bullsheit that they are putting into the program. If there is an electronic way around that or they weren't so draconian, then these systems wouldn't suck so much. But the programming takes the position that if the vehicle is allowed to exist AT ALL without this tank of piss, then thousands will die, polar bears will melt, and the sky will fall.

Yes, the VW management lied about the pollution levels, but 12 times almost nothing is STILL almost nothing.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
I just put that Supertech from Walmart in my Golf a week or 2 ago - screw the flexible hose on the outlet of the jug, insert hose into DEF fillup port of car, then lift up and pour DEF into car until jug is empty. Easy peasy.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I get DEF at Rural King. They've had several different brands (and, yes, they've been ISO blah-blah), and it's $6.99 for 10 quarts. Cheapest place I've found, and the car seems to like it just fine.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
I just put that Supertech from Walmart in my Golf a week or 2 ago - screw the flexible hose on the outlet of the jug, insert hose into DEF fillup port of car, then lift up and pour DEF into car until jug is empty. Easy peasy.

Just wanted to reinforce the "easy peasy" use of using the Peak DEF 2.5 gal fill I purchased at Walmart. I had gotten down to 800 miles to no start. I went to Walmart and picked up two 2.5 gal. containers. My 2015 just about swallowed all 5 gals. (I'd guess less than a half gal left over). The fill tube with its breather hole made filling so easy peasy. Placed a rag around the fill hole, removed the carpet and sound insulation on the DEF reservoir side and filled with a couple of drops splashed at the finish. I very much doubt the Kruse bottle that many tout is any better. Huge thumbs up for the Peak DEF ease of use. BTW, the directions--say to leave the bottle in the box when pouring, but that made little sense to me, as the bottle was easy to handle and manipulate. Highly recommend this system, and just to point out the obvious: the fill spout that comes with the DEF is expandable to allow excellent positioning of the container while pouring. Total cost with tax with $27. XX.

andymac

TDI
2015 Golf TDi
Sez who? :confused:

Adblue and DEF are one and the same. Brand doesn't matter. DEF is made to an ISO standard (ISO 22241) and is a commodity item and used worldwide. I buy my DEF at my local Walmart* store and have used enough over the last few years to cover over 120k miles of driving.

Bottom line is DEF is DEF is DEF is DEF... is DEF.

What VeeDubTDI said.

I recommend not using bulk DEF fill pumps at truck stops and only fill from an AdBlue bottle or fill from a 2.5 gallon jug with a funnel. What I like to do is fill once from a 1/2 gallon AdBlue bottle and then cut a hole in the bottom of the bottle and use it as a custom funnel to fill from a 2.5 gallon jug of DEF.

The issue with filling from a bulk fill pump at a truck stop is the DEF tank can get damaged from the "water hammer" effect upon the tank going full. DEF gets blown out through the air stone vents when the tank gets full and the vents can get clogged after the DEF crystallizes as it dries up. The tank then gets collapsed and cracked during the next DEF pump-out by the SCR system. Gravity filling with an AdBlue bottle or 2.5 gallon jug with a funnel is safe to do.

BMW dealers have been replacing cracked DEF tanks under warranty because of dealers using bulk fill pumps until BMW issued a Service Information Bulletin (SIB) warning not to do a DEF fill if the level in the tank is above a certain level. The bottom line is only gravity fill with an AdBlue bottle or 2.5 gallon jug with a funnel. I DIY all DEF fills in my BMWs.
Not to beat a dead horse post here, but…

You could also watch the tank fill with any decent OBDII SmartPhone App.

I use the blue background with white check engine logo called “Car Scanner ELM OBD2” on iOS. It has the PID for “reagent tank” that can be seen on live data if the car is Engine off Ignition On. I use the Kiwi Bluetooth OBD2 adapter and can see the % to full level. I’ve never added more than a single 2.5 gal jug, but have been wondering if the truck stop DEF pumps were safe. Sounds like overfilled tanks are an issue outlined above, so perhaps carefully monitoring the %full with the App would alleviate that issue. I’m going to give it a try… truck stops are 1/2 the retail price on bottled DEF.
As long as it’s ISO standard stuff (which I can’t imagine why it wouldn’t be as every on the thread states “it’s a commodity”), nothing special about it. It’s distilled water and urea.

andymac

TDI
2015 Golf TDi
The system itself isn't the problem, it is that "no start" "no more driving" bullsheit that they are putting into the program. If there is an electronic way around that or they weren't so draconian, then these systems wouldn't suck so much. But the programming takes the position that if the vehicle is allowed to exist AT ALL without this tank of piss, then thousands will die, polar bears will melt, and the sky will fall.

Yes, the VW management lied about the pollution levels, but 12 times almost nothing is STILL almost nothing.
Vote conservative (otherwise all this is your fault, you voted for it).

Don’t let lib California continue to control the nation’s automotive emissions designs.

Defund the California Air Resources Board!

JPM

TDI
2013 Passat
A few weeks ago my dash dinged and it said add adblue-1500 miles till empty(or whatever it says). I added 3 gallons and all was well-no more reminders,etc..... till this morning. Started car up, it dinged again,but now it said 600 miles till no start:mad:. This was on my way to work,so after work I stopped by WalMart and bought a 2.5 gallon jug of the Peak DEF and a gallon of the Supertech DEF. I opened the 2.5 gallon jug in parking lot and put spout on and started to put it in. After maybe 30 seconds,it splashed out of the filler hole,I added maybe a quart total:confused::confused::confused::confused:. So I get in car and do what manual says,30 seconds after hitting button I start it and the yellow exclamation mark is still in dash,along w/ maintenance wrench that goes out. Drive home after a couple more stops and the yellow exclamation point goes out. I start car up tonight and no reminders or exclamation marks come on dash, so keeping fingers crossed.
Did this work for you? I had a similar problem last week.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Did this work for you? I had a similar problem last week.
Haven't had any issues since then. I made it a habit of adding a 2.5 gallon jug of DEF after each oil change. Sometimes it takes it all, sometimes it doesn't. If any left over I just dump it on grass....