Last production of tdis

KROUT

persona non grata
I have a question. I thought vw was not going to have any 07 tdi,s. I just tinted a new 07 jetta tdi. What year does the new one come out?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
'07 Jetta TDi? Very rare, Krout !! Very rare.

bigEZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen; 2006 New Beetle
probably a leftover '06 jetta that was sold this year. remember, they did extend the production run to have more 2006 a5's, since there would be no '07's.

Matthew_S

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS galactic blue
The 10th character of the VIN is the best way to determine model year. I'm willing to bet that car didn't have a "7" in the 10th spot.

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
My understanding was that the 2006.5's would still be "labeled" as 06's for sale to circumvent the new regulations, provided they were built in the 2006 calendar year, but that the cars would be provided with owner manuals that state 2007. Maybe this is where he got his info from.

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
Matthew_S said:
The 10th character of the VIN is the best way to determine model year. I'm willing to bet that car didn't have a "7" in the 10th spot.
It couldn't or it would violate the new regs.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Guys, everyone knows the TDi automobiles were going to enjoy an extended production run that would supply dealerships into 2007 and hopefully minimize the drought 'til the CRD cars are certified, produced and shipped. These cars are all 2006MY regardless of when sold. They have no way of circumventing this.

The only diesel VW for 2007MY is the Touareg V10.

KROUT

persona non grata
The door tag said 12/06 here is the vin 3vwct71k86m853875

The temporary tag said 07 also. It was the new body jetta.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
10th digit of VIN = 6, therefore it is a 2006 model year. Date of manufacture is equal or prior to 31 December 2006 which means it is legal for them to claim it as a 2006 model. The temporary tag probably only reflects the date of registration, but even if it reflects official model year, it's a mistake by the MoT people - certainly not VW's fault.

It's officially a 2006. Can't be otherwise.

KROUT

persona non grata
I thought if the car was made after the 6 month of the year it would be registered as an 07. I have seen alot of cars with a production date of 11/06 registered as an 07. I realize the car was made in 06. In January of 07 they are selling 07 cars. They hade to be made in 06 to get them there right?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
KROUT said:
In January of 07 they are selling 07 cars.
What if Ford had a field of Ford 500s in NJ that were produced in May of 2006th and that car was sold yesterday. Would that car be called an '07?

KROUT

persona non grata
Aparently you missed my point. What I said was the sell 07 cars that had to be made in 06 to get them to the dealer by jan 07.

KROUT

persona non grata
dieseldorf said:
What if Ford had a field of Ford 500s in NJ that were produced in May of 2006th and that car was sold yesterday. Would that car be called an '07?
And what if each car had a pink bunny rabbit in it then what.:eek:

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Krout, seriously, would it magically become an '07 just because of the date it was delivered?

KROUT

persona non grata
It has nothing to do with the delivery date.
Answer this do they sell 07 cars in january of 07?
If so when was that 07 car made?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
KROUT said:
It has nothing to do with the delivery date.
Answer this do they sell 07 cars in january of 07?
If so when was that 07 car made?
Scott, it's a function of the mfr. You can't set a single rule to apply to all vehicles sold in NAmerica. It doesn't work that way. It likely VAG is producing "2007MY" cars in June of the previous year. Don't try to apply that to TDis. They (VAG) can manipulate the rules legally to their advantage.

They could be selling an '05 or '06 or '07 model year car in 2007. It's a function of what's leftover. Just ask Peugeot ;)

Last edited:

KROUT

persona non grata
I do see your point. Here in fl the cars are registered as 07 cars if they were made after 06/01/2006 regardless of what year they were sold. This car in question was registered as an 07 by the state of florida.

bigEZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen; 2006 New Beetle
it may be registered as an '07, but it is an '06 model year. just b/c fl has a weird registration doesn't make the car an '07.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
KROUT said:
I do see your point. Here in fl the cars are registered as 07 cars if they were made after 06/01/2006 regardless of what year they were sold.
That rule must be unique to FL as it does not apply to the other 49 states. WJ, I'd like you to confirm that. Thanks.

Scott, more importantly, can you do a perfect, seamless back window :)

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Do y'all remember when VWoA got caught with that field full of Vanagons (Eurovans??) that they couldn't sell as the vehicles sat rusting pieces? Can anyone recall the VIN swapping ordeal?

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
dieseldorf said:
That rule must be unique to FL as it does not apply to the other 49 states. WJ, I'd like you to confirm that. Thanks.

Scott, more importantly, can you do a perfect, seamless back window :)
I am not so sure he is correct - but I will call title office on Monday and let you know

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
wjdell said:
I am not so sure he is correct - but I will call title office on Monday and let you know
Thanks, WJ, we appreciate the effort. :)

You understand that the KROUT is suggesting the car can change model years based upon when it's actually titled/registered, right? ;)

NFSTDI

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'98 Jetta
There are three key dates or years that may or may not correspond.

Model Year

Manufacture Date (month and year)

Date Sold (usually the registration date)

It's very common for auto manufacturers to begin producing next years models during the last quarter. This often has to do with quotas and government restrictions.

It's also common for vehicles to be sold six to nine months after they are manufactured.

Generally the manufacturer will offer a discount on last years models. For example if you go to the Ford dealer in may of 2006 to purchase a new car they may offer you an '05 model at a substantial discount. The registration will say 2006 but the car was designed and built as an '05 model during the 2005 model year.

As a locksmith I encounter the problem on a regular basis. The keyblank, method of generating a key, and lock parts are all model year dependant. Customers are often mistaken about what year there car is. They will often think that the year is the one that is on the registration. However the "model" year is when the car was designed and planned for sale.

About fifteen years or so years ago auto manufacturers stopped paying attention to calander years. Things still line up in a matter of speaking but they often don't jib with the manufacture date nor the registered year.

So the tenth digit of the VIN is the most accurate and reliable way to determine model year as the previous posts state.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I picked up my '06 TDI from Chris Farnham in late September. It was built in week 34 of 2006. I wanted to purchase an extra fuel filter and when the parts guy punched the VIN into the computer the car came up as an '07. Whatever.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
In Ohio which I am familiar no - now a car or truck can have many miles on it and be sold as new - simply because it never been titled. But its model year is decided by date, September being the beggining of model year. Now GM can call a vehicle for instance the New 88 chevy truck but the title would still reflect it as a 86 the year it was produced, not sold. Maybe you remember that.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Mine is not a limited edition. Chris Farnham said they were retrieving '07 owners' manuals out of the cars and replacing them with '06s.

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
Pink, but not a Bunny.

Quote from KROUT: "And what if each car had a pink bunny rabbit in it then what" :eek: ?__________________

Then the cars would be ready for EASTER, not necessarily 2007's but they would be definitely CUTE :D !

THEN, I would buy one pink one, imagine the COLLECTORS value :eek: !

Eh?