Battery drain only when doors locked

BCKCX2

TDI
2002 Jetta
Anyone have a idea where to start trouble shooting? 2002 Jetta TDI, my battery will completely drain overnight or after 12 hours at work if I lock the doors. Either with the key in the door, the remote, or the button from the passenger door. If I leave it unlocked though no problems. Thank you any input

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
A volt meter and a schematic and a few minutes work should find the problem for you.

SyNtAxx

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Tornado Red GLS TDI
When you lock the car...do you hear the horn beep to signify all doors are locked? If not, maybe one lock actuators is stuck or sticking causing a drain. Just a thought.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
There's a factory TSB on how to quickly track down current drains, using a multimeter across the fuses, so you don't wake any sleeping modules and chase red herrings. The old-skool method of pulling all the fuses and measuring the current at each fuse doesn't work as well.

Searching "current drain TSB" or something like that would probably help you find the threads here.

BCKCX2

TDI
2002 Jetta
I did check the amp pull using my meter between the battery and the positive cable and all was good. It seems to be intermediate, was hoping someone had this happen before with a quick fix. I'll keep looking thank you

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
The CAN bus isn't going to sleep, i.e., going into low current standby mode, after a period of inactivity like it should. Something is keeping the CAN bus alive when it should be in sleep mode. Check for one of more broken wires in the wire harness to the driver's door, the usual culprit.

Good luck.