Block Heaters

TDI
2002 Jetta 1.9 TDI
Hello, first time poster/member here at TDIClub.

Can anyone please help with my decision making process about block heaters.

I own a 2002 Jetta TDI 1.9

Last year in Rhode Island we had several days/nights were the temp was below zero. My car would not start, I would have to crank it till the battery ran out, then charge/boost the battery. After 15 mins of cranking, the engine would fire up. It was recommended that I get a block heater for my car.

This is where I am asking for your help. Does anyone know of a good type type of heater to get. Im looking for something inexpensive, but functional.
I plan on using the heater only when I know its going to get cold. and lso that is fairly easy to install. I am however open to any and all suggestions.

What do y'all use for your VW's?

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
curious is everything ok with your car? seems like it could be something else, mind you the coolant heaters are a fantastic thing to have in the cooler climates, still not a needed thing, just nice to have. www.frostheater.com has a full line.

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
The ones from frostheater are really the best and essentially the only option.

Your car defenitely has a problem though. It never got cold enough last year in RI that you car should have been that hard to start. Come to a GTG or bring your car up to Chris Hill's shop (mrchill) up in Braintree, MA and get to the bottom of the issues. Its probabily something simple like a few dead glowplug or a bad harness.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
For sure - your car has other problems than not having a block heater. These cars when running correctly should have no issues starting at -30, -40 F (assumes proper 5w40 or 0w30 oil, timing correct, and good glowplugs / harness. Also assumes proper starting technique - turn ignition switch on, WAIT until pigtail light goes off, turn key to starter position). I second taking your car to somone who knows what he's doing to get your car checked out / problems corrected.

Now the frost heaters ARE nice so you will have heat when you turn on the car immediately, but they shouldn't be a requirement for Rhode Island - after, your GAS car doesn't require them ?

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
MandyMandyTastesLikeCandy said:
Hello, first time poster/member here at TDIClub.

Can anyone please help with my decision making process about block heaters.

I own a 2002 Jetta TDI 1.9

Last year in Rhode Island we had several days/nights were the temp was below zero. My car would not start, I would have to crank it till the battery ran out, then charge/boost the battery. After 15 mins of cranking, the engine would fire up. It was recommended that I get a block heater for my car.

This is where I am asking for your help. Does anyone know of a good type type of heater to get. Im looking for something inexpensive, but functional.
I plan on using the heater only when I know its going to get cold. and lso that is fairly easy to install. I am however open to any and all suggestions.

What do y'all use for your VW's?
None needed and there's no place in the engine block to install one.

The NE area normally doesn't get cold enough to need a block heater of any kind. A TDI in proper running condition will cold start without a block heater at temps well below zero (F). TDIs are popular in Canada in places that get way colder than it does in the NE area....those of us in the "balmy" Boston area have nothing to worry about.

My 2002 Golf TDI is parked outside year round in NH. The coldest I've ever started it at was -17F without any problem.

From what you described about it not starting in the cold, you've got other problems that need to be taken care of before considering any type of heater. You might need a set of glowplugs or somthing else may be going on.

Has the Check Engine Light (CEL) been on? (The ECU should be scanned for stored code(s)).

What oil are you using? It's supposed to be a 5W-40 diesel-rated synthetic oil.

How long did you wait before cranking it after you turned the key to ON? Wait for the GP light to go out then wait a few more seconds.

Does it still have the original battery? It might be getting time for a new battery if it was cranking too slow to start in the cold.

How does it start when cold in warm weather? It should fire right up on the first or second compression stroke, i.e., "crank-crank-VROOM..." is all it should take. If it takes several seconds to fire up, then something is definitely wrong.

I suggest you find a local TDIclub guru in your area who can take a look at your car figure out what's going on. A TDI in proper running condition will actually start better in subzero temps than most gassers do. I've occasionally had a couple of co-workers try to needle me, poking fun at my TDI, thinking it's not going to start in the bitter cold because it's a diesel. They have all the typical anti-diesel prejudices. I end up having the last laugh though. LOL. :cool:

Find a TDIclub guru in your area who can help (there are several). Whatever you do, DON'T take it to a VW dealer. By far the number one problem with VWs in general is incompetent dealer service. Finding a local TDIclub guru is the way to go.

Good luck and Welcome to TDIclub.

B.L.T

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 A4 Jetta tdi
n1das said:
A TDI in proper running condition will cold start without a block heater at temps well below zero (F). TDIs are popular in Canada in places that get way colder than it does in the NE area....those of us in the "balmy" Boston area have nothing to worry about.
Had a couple -40* days out here where the tdi started without being plugged in. Took a bit, but she fired. That was when the timing was so retarded it wasnt even on the chart too!. I cant wait to see how it starts this winter with everything as it should be!

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
I have started my 01 in -0 % temps WITHOUT using the glow plugs to prove to a friend that these cars when tuned right will start in cold weather. Make sure the Battery is good have it and your charging system tested. Most places will do it free. Have someone with a Vag-com check your timing and make sure it is set above the middle line. Both of these things effect how the car starts along with good Oil.

Canadian_Grizzly

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI
As above...the most important thing is a good running car prior to the cold weather, and THE most important thing is a good battery with the proper rating. I prefer the OEM one. I've done the last two winters with no block heater and zero issues... but I broke down and ordered a zerostart from frostheater.com for this winter. Can't wait to install and give it a try...weather permitting.

Last edited:

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
There is no need at all for a block heater there, to start your car. It might be useful for getting heat sooner after you start, but if your TDI is not starting under those conditions, you have other problems.

I have had no problems starting VW diesels to 27F below.

JettaTDIMKV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
I had a coolant heater installed simply because I want to have heat as soon as I get in the car. It is a 1000w heater/pump to heat and circulate the coolant to peak operating temp. I don't have heated seats so I really don't care to freeze my *** off, I had to pick one up.

I ran a heavy duty extention outside and used a heavy-duty exterior timer in the house to set it the night before if I know I need to go out.

I just put mine in, so I will see how it works as soon as it starts getting really cold out.

Last edited:

RT1

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf 1.9 TDI w/tiptronic 09A
Have yet to have a hard start in winter even at 0 degrees. You might want to winterize by changing out your fuel filter in the fall, fuel up only at busy truck stops and add PowerService diesel additive Diesel Kleen at each fill to keep the fuel from gelling. Stay away from mom and pop stops that sell a tankful every week or so. They're probably still selling summer fuel at Christmas. I don't think there's enough appreciation for the fact that diesel fuel starts to precipitate out wax under forty degrees. That can clog the filter in a hurry. It doesn't go back into solution once it's wax (without a heavy dose of solvents) so keeping the fuel from getting in that condition is the key. Biodiesel is even more succeptable. And yes, the fuel can get so thick it doesn't pump properly. Additives keep it from turning into jelly. Pep Boys in my area has started carrying PowerService products and they're available online too.

Cranking and cranking your starter is likely to bring premature death to the starter and battery. Keep the fuel good and it will start.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Oh I have Terry's coolant heater installed in my car and I used it when I lived in MN. I had it on a timer and 3 hours before I would leave for work it turned on the heater. The car starts very merrily and I have cabin heat right away. Of course at -25 F I did have to drive right away as the engine would start to cool off. Nothing quite like having heat right away in the winter.

Gothmolly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
YMMV, My 02 Golf has always started like complete crap in the cold. True zero degrees will usually kill it (possible fuel issue, thought, I run B20 + double PS all winter)

Canadianram

TDI
2001 Jetta
I have a zero start heater (1500 watt) installed and have started the car in -40 weather. I have started it in -20 with it not being pluged in. Good battery makes all the difference. People always talk about how well the cars start in cold weather but do not forget that starting any engine in cold weather can and will cause premature ware to the motor. If you live in a temps that drop below -10 a heater would be a good investment.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Gothmolly said:
YMMV, My 02 Golf has always started like complete crap in the cold. True zero degrees will usually kill it (possible fuel issue, thought, I run B20 + double PS all winter)
Yep - use B0 during cold weather, and do the other checks.

YellowBugGirl

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB
I also think there is another problem. I usually don't know enough to contribute on technical issues but I live in a place that's a lot colder than RI. So far, my car has started up fine in -40f with no block type heater. I have been driving mine since 2003. I did manage to gel my fuel once. It didn't start 2 other times and it was the battery or the glow plugs. I do buy batteries with the highest CCA(cold cranking amps) available.

I work nights and my car is in an exposed outside lot. So it's probably the worst possible conditions. When I first got my car, my coworkers speculated about how many days they were going to have to give me a boost. Since then 2 of them have bought diesel cars.

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
WHile Herm is truely a respected Guru whom I would take my car to in a minute if he was a bit closer one thing he said on taking care of batterys Link above is wrong now.
The OEM battery is NOT Maintenance free. You need to remove the "plastic tape" that is covering the cell caps.
The VW battery in some cars mine included is truly maintenance free. There are no cell caps under the tape there is a big EYE staring at you that is suppose to tell you when the battery is dead but I would guess you would know before looking at it that is is dead by the sounds of an engine not starting. This is a Pita and would not have been put in the car had I a say in the matter but was done after a car hit me and drove the first VW battery across the car. There is no way to read the different cells with a battery like mine which is also a pita. I would recommend anyone getting a new battery to make sure there are caps on the battery so you can maintain it properly. JM2C

jbrone

Veteran Member
TDI
R.I.P.: '98 Jetta TDI
I have no block heater, and the car sits outside in a very windy area totally unprotected. It starts right up in as low as -30F (the coldest we ever see). One single time it did not, and my 7 year Duralast battery was too far gone even with a jump. I relaced it with an Interstate for the same $ and it fired right up the same morning. Suggest their megatron MT91 with at least 700 CCA. I paid $84 at the distributor. Another good choice are the Optimas, like the 9020-164 with 720 CCA ($140 to 160). Go to an auto parts store to get a battery check now bwefore winter to see how it's doing. They can also spot starter or glow plug issues. And they are free.

I use B20 with PowerService added in winter. After all the no-start school buses last year, I might consider switching to D2 this year!