PO322 fault code and starting problems

Brasil

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta wagon silver-Sold, now MINI Cooper S Clubman
After cranking my starter many times due to a weak battery, the CEL light came on with a fault code of PO322-no signal. If reset, it will come back on when you try and start it again. The car starts 95% of the time now with the new battery, with occasional long crank times. It intermittently also sets the glow plug fault code for cylinder #4 (PO674). The dealership replaced the crank sensor G22 but the problem still persists.Dealer thinks it is a short somewhere in the wiring. Any ideas? Thanks, Mark

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
Signal [edit]
Possible Symptoms

• Engine shuts off
  • Engine doesn't start
  • Speedometer inoperative
  • Glow Plug Indicator Lamp (K29) flashes
[edit]
Possible Causes

• Engine Speed Sensor (G28) loose
  • Engine Speed Sensor (G28) faulty
[edit]
Possible Solutions

• Check Engine Speed Sensor (G28)
[edit]
Special Notes

• The Engine Speed Sensor (G28) is also used as a reference sensor for the crankshaft position.
Retrieved from "http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/16706/P0322/000802"

Was wrong sensor replaced?:eek:

Brasil

Veteran Member
TDI
Good catch! I called and he said they actually replaced G28, not G22 as he mistakenly told me. Thanks! Still looking for an answer...

gquenstedt

Veteran Member
TDI
'06, '03 x 2, '00
I am getting this same code. PO322 Engine Speed Input Circuit No Signal. And the engine will not start. ASV is good, fuel appears to be good, and glow plug light comes on as normal.

Any Ideas? How hard/expensive is that sensor to replace?

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
The sensor rarely fails. It seems (from reading on this site) that the wiring fails more often than the sensor. The wires often chafe in the protective housing and wear through. This is best found with a visual inspection.

Another problem could be with your grounds, particuarly the ones under the battery, on the bellhousing, and beside the ECU.

While in the plenum housing with the ECU I would also clean the ECU connections with deoxit and treat them with Deoxit Shield.

I think I have some resistance and voltage readings for the crank speed sensor around somewhere. Let me know if you need me to look for them.

Brasil

Veteran Member
TDI
As a follow-up: All my problems went away with a rocket chip tune...he also noted that there was a file problem with the original chip, and gave me a different one before re-programming it.