Is there a difference between truck diesel and auto diesel

Biesel

I went to fill up at my local diesel distributor and they had pumps labeled Diesel for trucks and another labeled diesel for autos. Both cost the same but I was wondering if there was a difference and if I could use the truck diesel in my New Beetle TDI.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
In some states there are specified "tax exempt" pumps. To use these requires a valid tax certificate to be posted on the vehicle being fueled. Refueling from these pumps without a valid certificate for that state is illegal and carries hefty fines. You and I would not be able to use enough fuel in a year to recoup the certificate cost.
The fuel has the same properties. The truck nozzles are larger and will fill more rapidly, too rapidly for our relatively small tanks. That and the possibility of the previous tax issue are the only differences.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
#2 diesel fuel is #2 diesel fuel regardless of how the pump is labeled. The difference is the size of the pump nozzle.

There is one thing to watch for when filling up at the large filling stations that have separate auto pumps and truck pumps. Sometimes they will charge more for diesel at the auto pump side.

I've seen several places like this that have one or two "auto" diesel pumps mixed in with the gasoline pumps. The same diesel fuel was priced higher on the auto side as on the truck side. They figure that most people with diesel cars and pick-up trucks don't want to fill up next to the big rigs and won't check first. I always drive around both sides and check.

Brian, 97 Passat TDI