2011 TDI Oil Consumption

vwnut20

TDI
2011 Jetta TDi 6spd DSG
Hey guys and gals,

How many of you out there have noticed your TDI's oil consumption. Had my first oil change done 3 months ago at it's recommended interval. I have currently 6500kms+ of oil life according to the MFD. I just happened to check the dipstick and I need to add a quart. Now I know it sounds paranoid but this is my first new car(ever). I'm unfamiliar if TDI's use any amount of oil in between oil changes. I'm use to the old TD which would use maybe a qt every 5 or 6(even more).

No evidence of a leak underneath the car. I have spoken with other TDi drivers which have told me that their car's barely use any oil. I don't drive my car like if I was in the TDI cup race.

Should I be worried or start approaching the dealership about this.

Cheers,

Simon

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
My Jetta hasn't used any oil in 40,000 miles (my spare refill liter remains in the trunk, unopened). If it were me, I'd have the car checked. Doesn't sound right, especially for such a new car.

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
First, I hope you didn't add a quart of oil. All VW 507 approved oils come in containers measured in liters. Therefore I really hope you added a liter of oil.:rolleyes:

Second, my Jetta didn't need any oil until over 25k miles, but every car is different. The most important thing to know is the correct method to check oil level. You want to shut off the engine and then wait at least 5 minutes before checking the oil level. This gives the oil a chance to drain back down into the oil pan before you measure it. Looking at the dipstick immediately after turning off the engine can result in over filling the engine. If there are no signs of leaking oil, I wouldn't be too worried unless it gets worse. Sometimes new engines will burn some oil until they are properly broken-in.

Have Fun!

Don

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
No evidence of a leak underneath the car. I have spoken with other TDi drivers which have told me that their car's barely use any oil. I don't drive my car like if I was in the TDI cup race.
Not saying you should be driving like a racer all the time but perhaps drive more aggressively at times with the right foot. When the engine is warmed up try to get the trans to shift as close to 3000RPM as possible and when getting up to 60MPH or whatever highway speed put your foot down (don't want to slam foot down under 2K RPM) and build the revs close to redline. Do this occasionally. I don't have an exact number of times, but you want to build boost so that the piston rings are well seated. This could help limit oil consumption.

Also, to add o JSWTDI09's comment you are checking the oil with a warm engine? The oil expands quite a bit.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Your oil usage does not sound excessive. What is normal depends on you and your specific car. I would watch it, but not worry about it. Watch it means checking the oil level and adding as needed. Needed. Don't overfill it. It would better be a little under than a little over.

It appears that you are not in the habit of checking your oil. I suggest doing it very often to start. Then after a month or two, you may cut back a little. Get to know your car.

Yes, it could have a leak, but the apparent amount of oil that is being used, is within the normal range. Also you may find that you car may end up using less oil as it is broken in.

Also as JSW suggested, make sure you are using the recommended measuring technique.

Don't forget that if the car had not been parked with the engine off for a few minutes or if it is parked on a hill, the dip stick may be inaccurate.

NickBeek

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI 2006 Dodge Ram
I check my oil at every fuel fill up (around 500 miles) after completing the fueling. This gives the oil a chance to drain back into the pan. The factory fill was up to the top groove in the dipstick and never moved over the first 10k miles. The dealer did my 10k service and filled the oil to the mid way point on the cross hatch area of the dipstick. So far (1200 miles since change) the level hasn't changed noticeably.

I did and still do use some spirited driving to ensure proper break in.

vwnut20

TDI
2011 Jetta TDi 6spd DSG
Thanks everyone. I actually spoke with one of the techs at my dealership and then verified my findings afterwards. With these TDI's it is better to check the oil when engine is cold. If checked when hot they will always read lower. Also, it is quite possible that the last time the oil change was done the, not enough oil was added. According to the tech there is some confusion in between the 06-09'(take only 4.0L) and 10'+(take 4.2L) at there shop. I can believe this, because the now oil level in my car is at 3/4 of the way up the marked on the dipstick and engine is cold.

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
Not true!!!

I checked my oil before a drive, just below top groove, then after my drive with a warm engine and letting it sit for 5 minutes or so the oil was up at correct level. Oil expands with heat. I know the manual has errors, but it also says check with warm engine and letting it sit a bit - that is NOT an error in the manual.

Now if you check your oil while engine is running or right after you shut it off of course it will be low and is not the correct procedure.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
sounds like a high consumption.....you cant say for sure till you measure exactly time and distance with accurate measurements for different timelines. check and report back...doubt it chews that much....just drove mine 15,000kms before 1st oil change and dipstick never moved....

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
If you are worried I think you can ask dealer to perform consumption test. (not sure if dealers do this or not.) I just remember that MB dealer did it for my dad's car...

PaulGiz

Veteran Member
TDI
None any more. My heart couldn't take it.
A single occurrence is not an indicator. You may have measured incorrectly, oil may have been underfilled, plenty of possible reasons you measured low once.

Keep an eye on the oil level (yes you should check oil often, I do almost every time I fuel up).

If you see a trend, then you can take action. New cars sometimes start out with some oil consumption, then settle down. It could be as simple as that.

P.

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
I've got 12,000 miles on mine and it hasn't used any oil.....I do drive spirited quite often :D

Karlman

TDI
2006 TDI DSG,2011 TDI DSG
2011 jetta 2490 miles driven.... used 3.5 quarts of motor oil. Please do not reply with the liter and quart or don't know how to check oil level lectures.This engine burns oil.
No leaks or drips anywhere. Sucking oil like a camel water. The oil consumption is less now (than early on) but still very alarming. My maintanance log is reflecting miles driven, motor oil used, month and day. I have had four TDIs, a 2006, two 2009's (sold) and one 2011.
None of the older TDIs used any motor oil. Otherwise, the car is flawless.

marc77777

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf GTI black/black
2011 jetta 2490 miles driven.... used 3.5 quarts of motor oil. Please do not reply with the liter and quart or don't know how to check oil level lectures.This engine burns oil.
No leaks or drips anywhere. Sucking oil like a camel water. The oil consumption is less now (than early on) but still very alarming. My maintanance log is reflecting miles driven, motor oil used, month and day. I have had four TDIs, a 2006, two 2009's (sold) and one 2011.
None of the older TDIs used any motor oil. Otherwise, the car is flawless.
If I drove 2490 miles and went through 3.5 quarts, my car would be sitting in the dealers garage as we speak.

Karlman

TDI
2006 TDI DSG,2011 TDI DSG
Hello marc77777
I did call the selling dealer and voiced my concerns. The oil consumption has slowed down to half a quart per 500 miles.So, there is some hope the engine is settling in. I read in Wards automotive that VW group and Mercedes is using a new low friction piston in their production of engines but were not specific whether this applies also to diesels.The oil is getting by the valve,or turbo seals or piston rings and is burned up. My experience with VW dealers here in the Baltimore arena is not positive,they are excellent in making a single problem into multiples. I hope the trend of improvement continues. Keep my fingers crossed.