VW Rejecting Non-Clean Titles?

jp77texags

TDI
14 each, 2015 Touareg, 2015 Beetle, Passat, Jetta, Golf., 2014 Passat and Jetta, 2013 Passat and Jetta, 2012 Jetta 3 each, etc.
Hi all, first time here.
I just turned in 4 each VW TDI's to San Antonio, Rebuilt titles from Salvage, all 4 of them. Dealership was extremely courteous and helpful.

Question and statement: At closing I asked if I would be receiving restitution in Dec. after they close this out. They told me all Rebuilt titles from Salvage would NOT be receiving restitution. At approx $6K per vehicle I just lost $24K.
So question: Is anyone taking them to court over this?
Please advise.

jp77texags

TDI
14 each, 2015 Touareg, 2015 Beetle, Passat, Jetta, Golf., 2014 Passat and Jetta, 2013 Passat and Jetta, 2012 Jetta 3 each, etc.
Also FYI, on these 4 returns, I received my formal offer letters on 18 April 2018.

VW return to dealership dates 24th and 25th of July. Hair over 90 days.

jeffcapp99

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q7 TDI & VW Passat TDI
Hi all, first time here.
I just turned in 4 each VW TDI's to San Antonio, Rebuilt titles from Salvage, all 4 of them. Dealership was extremely courteous and helpful.

Question and statement: At closing I asked if I would be receiving restitution in Dec. after they close this out. They told me all Rebuilt titles from Salvage would NOT be receiving restitution. At approx $6K per vehicle I just lost $24K.
So question: Is anyone taking them to court over this?
Please advise.

Since you are new, you may not know VW is full of bad information. You may get restitution. Look at the 2/18 servicer report on the court website. If prior owner does not claim it, you will get it. I cut and pasted.

XXXX
(iii) Owners of used vehicles that were purchased with a branded title and had a “salvage rebuilt” or equivalent title as of February 26, 2018, are potentially eligible for Vehicle Value if all other eligibility requirements are met. If the previous owner of the vehicle does not submit a claim for Owner Restitution by the September 1, 2018 claim filing deadline, the consumer also may be eligible to receive Owner Restitution in addition to Vehicle Value.

jp77texags

TDI
Hi Jeff, thats the best news I have heard today. at least it gives me some optimistic insight to what might happen in Jan. 2019.

another Question: How is everyone providing "Proof of Operability".
VW has asked me to provide this for another of my cars. but some turkey
looked up my cars history and is asking for a specific date that it was in an Auction.

How do i search for, "proof of operability", on this site?
thank you,

jeffcapp99

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi Jeff, thats the best news I have heard today. at least it gives me some optimistic insight to what might happen in Jan. 2019.

another Question: How is everyone providing "Proof of Operability".
VW has asked me to provide this for another of my cars. but some turkey
looked up my cars history and is asking for a specific date that it was in an Auction.

How do i search for, "proof of operability", on this site?
thank you,

We all struggle with this one. If you bought the car from an auction, show that it 'runs and drives' off auction website.

jp77texags

TDI
Thanks Jeff, I will try that angle and get back with how it worked out!!

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
Whats fun is that VW is now also rejecting clean title cars that they think were not registered in Sept 2015 - June 2016. There is nothing regarding this in the settlement documents and even customer support is clueless why.

jeffcapp99

Veteran Member
TDI
Whats fun is that VW is now also rejecting clean title cars that they think were not registered in Sept 2015 - June 2016. There is nothing regarding this in the settlement documents and even customer support is clueless why.

VW makes things up as they go along. Clean title car needs to be taken off the road. That is the “spirit“ of the agreement. I feel like it’s us versus the world. Plaintiff counsel won’t even call you back or respond to emails.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Salvage Title 3.0 Touareg, sent to CRC.

Last week I received an email stating that my 2011 Treg with a salvage/rebuilt title had been approved by the CRC and that I "may be eligible for certain benefits". Today I received a call from a nice lady at the VW Executive Outbound team in Auburn Hills, MI. She advised me that I needed to go into the portal and create a new acct.

New account created, offer letter generated and documents loaded...now we wait!

Curiously the offer letter includes 1/2 of the restitution money

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
VW makes things up as they go along. Clean title car needs to be taken off the road. That is the “spirit“ of the agreement. I feel like it’s us versus the world. Plaintiff counsel won’t even call you back or respond to emails.
Exactly... it even says blah blah blah registered owner OR "NON VW DEALER WHO PURCHASED AFTER SEPT 2015" which is exactly what I did..

Will be submitting claim to CRC.

Jkhalil123

TDI
golf
I have also submitted my vehicle information to allen and got a email saying that they received and will contact me in the future, I have tried to send emails after but no answer as of yet.. are you a dealer? because there is someone else dealing with dealers, if yes pm me

Radek

TDI
2015 Passat SEL
No, not a dealer, individual

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Jkhalil123

TDI
golf
Have anybody submitted their case to them ?

I have but no confirmation or anything at all from Allan , even after emailing him

I have also submitted my vehicle information to allen and got a email saying that they received and will contact me in the future, I have tried to send emails after but no answer as of yet.. are you a dealer? because there is someone else dealing with dealers, if yes pm me

CalGuy

TDI
Q5
Procrastination

I bought a salvage title, running, licensed insured car from Nevada in January. I didn't register it in California until June so I now have a salvage registration dated long after the February deadline.
It had been salvage registered in Nevada since early 2017 but I have no documents from the previous owner (CA DMV keeps). The CarFax does show NV salvage registration early 2017.
I haven't submitted to VW yet.
Any opinions on the hassle ahead?
Thanks!

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
I would count it as likely that you will end this process owning a salvage car. Doesn't hurt to try though.

yurkin89

TDI
2015 GSW TDI x2
I would strongly suggest anyone with limbo account to open a new one ASAP, cut off date getting close. On of the cars my account was in limbo for over a year, created a new one account with new email I received an offer letter within a month and turned the car in already. Old account still showing under review!!!

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
I bought a salvage title, running, licensed insured car from Nevada in January. I didn't register it in California until June so I now have a salvage registration dated long after the February deadline.
It had been salvage registered in Nevada since early 2017 but I have no documents from the previous owner (CA DMV keeps). The CarFax does show NV salvage registration early 2017.
I haven't submitted to VW yet.
Any opinions on the hassle ahead?
Thanks!
The main issue is going to be that you were required to register your car in California within a couple weeks of bringing it into the state (or transferring it if you stayed in Nevada) but, since you didn't do that, you now have no way to prove it was legally on the road during that eligibility window (and it wasn't).

That means anyone evaluating your case is going to assume that it was not capable of being on the road legally rather than concluding it was but you were driving it without lawful authorization. Do you see the problem here? Your only explanation of why you are eligible for the money w/o those records is by establishing that you were breaking the law while driving the car (that is, *if* you fit into one of those relatively common scenarios of driving it under the old registration in Nevada or waiting until that registration expired before titling it in California).

halbert

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 sportwagen
I would strongly suggest anyone with limbo account to open a new one ASAP, cut off date getting close. On of the cars my account was in limbo for over a year, created a new one account with new email I received an offer letter within a month and turned the car in already. Old account still showing under review!!!
So, if a vehicle has all green checkmarks but no offer--or is under review by CRC, which deadline applies? The Sept 1 deadline for filing or the Dec 1 deadline for having an signed offer letter at VW?

yurkin89

TDI
2015 GSW TDI x2
So, if a vehicle has all green checkmarks but no offer--or is under review by CRC, which deadline applies? The Sept 1 deadline for filing or the Dec 1 deadline for having an signed offer letter at VW?
Sep 1 is the deadline for filing a new claim, there was another member here that posted that he even recieved a call from VW after an appeal with CRC to open a new account after the appeal was ruled in his favor. Just posting what worked for me, good luck!

CalGuy

TDI
Q5
The main issue is going to be that you were required to register your car in California within a couple weeks of bringing it into the state (or transferring it if you stayed in Nevada) but, since you didn't do that, you now have no way to prove it was legally on the road during that eligibility window (and it wasn't).
That means anyone evaluating your case is going to assume that it was not capable of being on the road legally rather than concluding it was but you were driving it without lawful authorization. Do you see the problem here? Your only explanation of why you are eligible for the money w/o those records is by establishing that you were breaking the law while driving the car (that is, *if* you fit into one of those relatively common scenarios of driving it under the old registration in Nevada or waiting until that registration expired before titling it in California).
Thank you for a well reasoned reply.
I will say - nobody knows when this car was brought to California. I didn't drive it. The registration in Nevada was good beyond when I switched to California. All available paperwork (DMV kept bill of sale from NV) shows that it was registered in Nevada until I registered it in California. Legally on the road in both states with no lapse.
Anyway - I'll submit and we'll see what happens.
Thanks again.

CalGuy

TDI
Q5
I have an appeal submitted to CRC 3 months ago. (Not NV car from prior post) No word. I'm tempted to open a new account but...........has anyone had success with this?

halbert

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 sportwagen
Sep 1 is the deadline for filing a new claim, there was another member here that posted that he even recieved a call from VW after an appeal with CRC to open a new account after the appeal was ruled in his favor. Just posting what worked for me, good luck!
I'm creating for myself a Nov 15 deadline to receive a new offer letter. If one doesn't come by then, I will submit the 'eligible owner restitution' offer letter shortly after that, to make sure it's in their hands by Dec 1. At least that way I'll get something.

Anybody want to bet whether the CRC will have finished their work by then?

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Thank you for a well reasoned reply.
I will say - nobody knows when this car was brought to California. I didn't drive it. The registration in Nevada was good beyond when I switched to California. All available paperwork (DMV kept bill of sale from NV) shows that it was registered in Nevada until I registered it in California. Legally on the road in both states with no lapse.
Anyway - I'll submit and we'll see what happens.
Thanks again.
You'd have to cross reference Nevada's laws. My prediction is there will be a string of laws that address people expiring the previous owner's registration before paying for their own. It might be something like in California you have two weeks to register the vehicle. Then you say well it was in Nevada for those months, but Nevada probably has some law requiring you to declare residency within some short span of time (like two weeks) and mandating you get a license. People do this all the time, but the laws don't allow it even though they don't usually get busted. Submit your claim and best of luck to you but it's not clean cut.

yurkin89

TDI
2015 GSW TDI x2
Dear X:

Based on the documents and information you have provided as part of your claim with Reference No. Xxxx, you are not eligible to participate in the 2.0-Liter Settlement Claims Program. The reason(s) for your ineligibility is described below.

Vehicle is not eligible - Your vehicle is not eligible to participate in the Settlement Program.

Just got the email. This is for stage 2 fix, purchased the car a week ago.
Stage 1 was done with previous owner, than was wrecked and ended up on IAAI.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Dear X:
Based on the documents and information you have provided as part of your claim with Reference No. Xxxx, you are not eligible to participate in the 2.0-Liter Settlement Claims Program. The reason(s) for your ineligibility is described below.
Vehicle is not eligible - Your vehicle is not eligible to participate in the Settlement Program.
Just got the email. This is for stage 2 fix, purchased the car a week ago.
Stage 2 was done with previous owner, than was wrecked and ended up on IAAI.
If the car already had both fixes done already, why did you think it would still be eligible for buyback? It is either the fix or buyback not both. I see nothing wrong with rejecting this claim if it is as you just stated.

If I understand correctly the previous owner had both fixes done and collected his money. Then crashed the car and you ended up buying it. Then you tried to submit it for buyback.

Last edited:

Jkhalil123

TDI
golf
hi guys deadline is coming find out what we can do about all rejected claims as soon as possible before we lost everything.

yurkin89

TDI
2015 GSW TDI x2
If the car already had both fixes done already, why did you think it would still be eligible for buyback? It is either the fix or buyback not both. I see nothing wrong with rejecting this claim if it is as you just stated.

If I understand correctly the previous owner had both fixes done and collected his money. Then crashed the car and you ended up buying it. Then you tried to submit it for buyback.
Applied for stage 2 fix, not buyback. Previous owner had only stage 1 fix done.