German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
There is a new hybrid diesel that saves $60,000 per day in fuel consumption- its a new drill ship. I was at a place that builds power systems and they built this one that regenerates power from the anchor system that tethers a ship in place over a drill.

They had banks of large capacitors in a panel the size of a very large refrigerator, each capacitor was about 4 or 5 inches square and about 3 ft long I'd guess.

They used banks of lithium batteries, not ion though, and they could be drained and recharged quickly. They build systems for hybrid tugs, instead of running 4 large diesels all the time, mostly at part power, they run one diesel at full power and use electric motors as needed. Huge payback from fuel saving.

The advances in battery technology will get us to full electric with the range of a diesel and the ability to recharge quickly, plus half the weight of current batteries. I'm thinking maybe in the next 10 years. No more sensors or oil changes.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
I wish I could have gotten a diesel in my new Outback. The 3.6R is a great engine, but under 22 MPG average I could do without. But having EyeSight makes up for it somewhat.
Eyesight is awesome. My wife has it on her Forester - very nice.

fordt

TDI
03 Golf, skid plate, lift kit with Bilsteins, now +250K
I can get you everything but the 2doors....

Hybrid...doesn't that dictate automatic transmission? I'm assuming soon I will be having to sell my 2011 Golf TDI, 2-door, 6 speed manual back to VW. (No sunroof, too!).
I'm suffering a crisis in choosing what car I want going forward. (a) I want it to be a 2-door. (b) I want it to be a 6 speed manual. VW seems to have given up on these two basic choice combinations.
(3) I want it to be a diesel because of the low end torque. My present car doesn't feel tin can-ish like oh so many small small cars with high revving 4-cylinder engines.
Except for the Beetle VW won't even be making 2-doors. And I heard rumors the Beetle will be discontinued. And manual transmissions are being dropped, AFAIK. (I'm holding back a major cursing fit.). Broadly, 2-doors are being dropped, too.
I'm in a real dilemma. What automobile can replace my VW Golf...the car that in my life I've enjoyed the most?
Chevrolet Cruze diesel.....a 4 door hatchback (a little bigger than my 300K 03 Golf hatch) and a 6 speed manual.....you can even get the rarest of American car options with an upgrade....NOT black or dark grey seats....like, almost light brown!!!

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
GM stopped offering the Cruze TD with manual trans this year.

Billion003, why do you think you will "have to" sell back your TDI? Buyback is an option, not a requirement.

fordt

TDI
03 Golf, skid plate, lift kit with Bilsteins, now +250K
GM stopped offering the Cruze TD with manual trans this year.

Billion003, why do you think you will "have to" sell back your TDI? Buyback is an option, not a requirement.
This year? As in 2018? They’re all over dealer lots as 2018’s.....maybe after this year?

Graham Line

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Golf TDI 6M
I still have my '12 2-door, manual trans, sunroof-free Golf. No one came and took it away. VW 'fixed' it and mailed me a big check. Bosch sent a little one. I figure it's good for another 10 years.

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
Are you kidding me ? VWoA has never had competent technicians to repair / maintain their diesel engines so what makes them think that this will be any different ?

VW screwed the pooch on diesel engines and let the best diesel engine they ever produced (ALH) slip away. It's time that VW just let diesels die.

They were on the right track a few years ago to steer clear of hybrids and just go with full electric or gasoline models. That is the best move that VW could make to reclaim their reputation.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Eh, the CR motors have proven themselves to be pretty solid.

I'd like to see a car like the volt, but diesel. Maybe an electric golf will come across my path at some point and get a little kubota genset stuffed in it.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
I drove an E-Golf (2015 I believe), and overall was very impressed. But the range is (in my opinion) still too low for comfort unless your typical daily drive is under 50 miles. Now that the newest model has an EPA range of 125 miles, it's quite a bit closer to what I would be comfortable with as a daily driver. But I would want that as a real world range in the middle of winter with the heat on full and blower on high. Tesla has that range, but for a lot more money.

I would be happy if VW offered a hybrid Tiguan, or a TDI (I wish) for that matter. I love the new version of the Tig. But I just couldn't get the trim level I wanted when I had to buy last fall. Just because I'm in a Subaru right now doesn't mean I wouldn't jump back into a VW when I next desire to change vehicles.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Too much complexity for the shade tree mechanic, IMO.......
not really, I'd bet they're just as easy to get into the ECU on as the ALH cars are
the engine itself is the same with a few more wires and an extra camshaft
emission systems are a bit over the top, but they can be lopped off as they get in the way
better HPFP can be had from any of the very abundant CR trucks here in the US

Though I suppose I've never been the type to actually buy speed parts, just the tools to make bigger stock stuff fit.

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (sold); 2012 Tesla Model S

Greendog_TDI

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I'd consider one of these, I like the TDI platform unless VW comes up with a full-on Hybrid Diesel.

MP517PRCT

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI Sportwagen, 2011 Touareg TDI Lux
Subaru? You mean this Subaru? https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1006756/diesel-engine-car-UK-Subaru-sale-ban The writing is on the wall for diesels in Europe. People are abandoning them in droves and used prices are collapsing.
I just spent the last month in Europe, don't believe the fake news, not only are new diesels being sold on dealer lots, my friends did not notice any change in value of used TDIs.

I would absolutely love one of the numerous Passat Alltrak TDIs that I saw. :eek:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Trucking companies will do whatever is most cost effective.
100% correct. I think it will be purely the economics that will drive electrification of short and medium haul trucking over the next 5-10 years. And long haul trucking over the next 7-15 years.

Warthog

Veteran Member
TDI
see Bio
Concerning Diesel cars in Europe: I just rented a rather new Nissan SUV in Germany (only 17K Km on it) and it was a Diesel....6-speed stick shift too! Lots of NEW Diesels still being sold there. It was called a Qashqai and had a 1.6L engine. Very snappy although I didn't drive over 135kph most of the time...well....maybe 140 one or twice.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Concerning Diesel cars in Europe: I just rented a rather new Nissan SUV in Germany (only 17K Km on it) and it was a Diesel....6-speed stick shift too! Lots of NEW Diesels still being sold there. It was called a Qashqai and had a 1.6L engine. Very snappy although I didn't drive over 135kph most of the time...well....maybe 140 one or twice.
A light duty diesel drivetrain is the best fit for an SUV if you want to optimize efficiency and performance (torque).

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
The Qashqai 1.6 diesel comes with a CVT too, but only in FWD. You can have FWD/stick, FWD/CVT or AWD/stick. They are all made in the UK.
There's also a less powerful 1.5 diesel, a 1.2 turbo gasser with 115hp (FWD manual or FWD CVT) and a 1.6 gasser with 163hp (manual FWD only).
I have driven a bunch of CVT Nissans and IMO the manuals are vastly superior. Even though they are a bit rubbery... My wife has the 1.5 diesel manual Juke.

America gets a similar vehicle (made in Japan) which is called the Rogue Sport. (small moonroof instead of full glass roof, 2.0 naturally aspirated engine with the same acceleration figures as the Euro 1.2T). Canada gets the same thing, but there it's called the Qashqai.

Status
Not open for further replies.