OEM MKV Sat/GPS antenna is not good as AM/FM radio antenna

CountryGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2008 E320 Bluetec
Last night I finally installed MKV shark fin antenna in my 2003 Golf. I used FARKA to OEM antenna adapter to connect new antenna to the existing cable. Of course, I get no AM reception. FM reception was not great either. So, for now I hooked up old OEM antenna and left it hidden under the roof. At least it gives better FM reception.

I'll be installing interior Bosch antenna. Shark fin will be there only to justify money I spent on it :cool:

Summary
Do not install MKV OEM shark fin antenna unless you are prepared to loose the reception or/and add another antenna.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
The mkV shark fin is only for sat and nav. All AM/FM reception is with a built in wire antenna in the windscreen......
On the new Passat wagons, you can see the antenna in the rear most side windows.....

CountryGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2008 E320 Bluetec
Thanks for the response.

Well, first I bought the shark fin antenna, then I started to read and realized that the AM/FM antenna is built-in rear window on new Jetta/Golf. Until yesterday I thought that FM reception should be OK ... Now I know it's NOT.

I am just trying to warn people about this MKV antenna (as well as other shark fin antennas). That's all.

2002 TDI

Veteran Member
Shark Fin Antenna

All,
It is my understanding that all of the MK5 "Shark Fin" antennas are for the Sat and AM/FM. On the cars that there is no Sat Radio, then they use the Rear Window antenna only. The radios are set up for a diversity antenna arrangement. What this means is that the radio can choose which signal is the strongest and the best based on the situation that the car is in. it does this automatically. There is also a signal filter and amplifier that is mounted in the rear headliner on the MK5 cars with the ”Shark Fin” antenna and this boasts the signal. The boasting of the signal is due to the short length of the antenna. The OEM “Fuba” style antenna has the boaster built into the bottom of the antenna and boasts the signal and makes the antenna appear longer than it actually is and this allows the better reception for both AM and FM signals. The MK5 antenna has this, but it is located in a different place (under the headliner) and this is the reason for your poor reception. If you were to purchase the correct items and add them to the antenna circuit ,then your issues would more than likely go away. Now interestingly enough, if you want satellite radio, this is a good antenna to have since the satellite antenna is built into this version. It would provide a very clean installation and look good too. I did a similar installation with the VW triplex antenna. I took the GPS antenna out and replaced it with an XM antenna for satellite radio reception. I also wanted the AM/FM and Cellular antenna and this was the easiest way to obtain it. I hope that this helps understand the principle of the antennas and that you sometimes cannot just replace them and expect everything to be just fine in terms of the reception and application.

Thanks,
Greg

CountryGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2008 E320 Bluetec
Greg,

Are you saying that adding an amplifier will help to get better FM and some AM reception out of MKV shark fin antenna? I don't want to spend any more money on this unless it is going to work for sure.

There are 2 types of OEM MKV antenna:
- Sat/GPS (aka "telemetric")
- Sat only

I have Sat/GPS version.

Does someone know the VW part number for the amplifier in MKV?

Thx, MF

CountryGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2008 E320 Bluetec
The part # for the booster is 1K6035577AB (right) and 1K6035577AC (left). Dealer's price is Cdn$88+tax. There are 2 boosters: one for each side of the window in MKV. Does anyone know if they are identical or one is for AM and another one for FM boost? What type of connectors do they have?

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
CountryGuy said:
The part # for the booster is 1K6035577AB (right) and 1K6035577AC (left). Dealer's price is Cdn$88+tax. There are 2 boosters: one for each side of the window in MKV. Does anyone know if they are identical or one is for AM and another one for FM boost? What type of connectors do they have?
Connectors are most likely Fakra