Dashboard, running cables under & screwing things into

GoodOak

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportswagen
I'm looking to install a Scan Guage and a Ram Mount to mount my phone in on my dash. For both, I would like to run the cables under the dashboard or otherwise hide them so they are secure and not visually cluttering up the dash (any more than the interments they are attached to do!). For the Ram Mount, I'm probably going to use some self-boring screws to mount them to the dash.

Does anyone have any tricks for getting wiring under the dash? Can any panels be easily removed to make this easier?

Am I at risk of puncturing anything if I screw into the top of the hood over the instrument panel?

GoodOak

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportswagen
Why not use some good double sided tape to hold things down instead of putting holes in the dash.
I did also pony up for the adhesive base. But it has been my experience in the past the adhesive mounts for this sort of thing wobble and vibrate a lot. And or fall-off eventually. I will give it a go, but screwing into the dash has worked well in my other vehicles.

pmm

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen
don't screw anything into the top of your dash, you might regret it and it's not necessary.
Remove your A pillar and run any cables down the side and under your dash that way.

GoodOak

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportswagen
I have screwed things into the dash boards of two other vehicles I own and I can assure you I have zero regrets.

So, does anyone know a good way to run a cable under the panels from the cigarette lighter to the base of that driver's side A pillar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

TDI Kovács

Veteran Member
TDI
Two Preban TDI's; One "FIXED" TDI.
Tried this. Fell off the first time we used it, as expected.

Well, I guess you're next step is to put holes in your dash. :(

Guess if you ever sell, it'll only cost just over $1200 for a new dash to replace the holey one.

GoodOak

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportswagen
Well, I guess you're next step is to put holes in your dash. :(

Guess if you ever sell, it'll only cost just over $1200 for a new dash to replace the holey one.

By the time I sell this car the holes in the dash will be the least of its problems.