TDIFest 2013 coming to Sunday River Ski Resort (Newry, Maine)

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
Over 20 hours each way for me... not likely to happen. I don't expect that the rooms will be budget friendly either... That neck of the woods tends to be pricey!

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Lots of twisties, huh?
You bet. Same around here in southern New England but the roads here are pretty congested. Not the case in Maine, especially if you stay away from the coast. It's lots of fun.

Speaking of which, I'm going to look at the club schedules for NHMS for around the Fest dates and see if there are any track days we could camp on to, in case folks might be interested.

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Over 20 hours each way for me... not likely to happen. I don't expect that the rooms will be budget friendly either... That neck of the woods tends to be pricey!
Just drive faster:D You should be able to cut off an hour or two. The rooms are very nice and are budget friendly. Otherwise we would never gone ahead with the idea of the Fest being there. Wait and see what we can offer when we open registration before you toss out the whole idea.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
We're looking at a group rate of $105/night for the regular rooms (standard two bed hotel room or a Murphy bed and kitchen), which is pretty incredible for the venue and season. There are also several room styles available this year, including one and two bedroom suites. Get a few friends together and you can get nightly rates per person down to the mid double-digits.

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Sweet, only 9 hours from Toronto (about 850km). Count me in....

When does Reg open?:D

MrVermin

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Being 6+ months out, you can't switch with someone or request the time off? :eek:
There are only two of us that work here, so we alternate being on-call at night and work every other weekend. My co-worker is reluctant to 'mess up' the schedule by trading weeks or weekends. It's a possibility, and I'll see when it gets closer.

I also may be able to come into work and then head up after, since it's only 2 hours from where I live on the coast. I'd just get him to be on-call during the day.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
He wants to know if there will be additional mandatory fees for use of optional amenities like golf courses, ski runs, WiFi, etc. All the resort type places have these fees in addition to their excessively priced rooms (funny that non-resorts can provide WiFi free with their lower, more reasonably priced rooms). When negotiations for an event at one of these resorts are going on, it is best to get these fees waived. Once at a Miata event the resort decided to not waive these fees and those who had planned on coming told the organizers that we would not do so. They went back to the resort and told it either waive the fees or we walk. The resort waived the fees.

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
A trip up the Mt. Washington road for sure and I've plotted out 2 other tours through the western Maine mountains. Great drives, little traffic and lots of turns and scenic views.
Sweet- I've been really eager to do the Mt. Washington climb anyway. I see all the other "cool car clubs" doing Mt. Washington drives and videos...

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Road trip?

Hmmm...maybe a trip to visit my sister and nephews in Connecticut (and all my long lost drinking buddies?:cool:) (we gave that up a while ago!;)). All I have to do is convince the wife it will NOT SNOW that time of year in NE.

Might drive out in something other than the old TDI though (If accompanied).

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Another really cool drive idea would be to drive the Kancamagus Highway in New Hampshire (from Conway to Lincoln) through the White Mountain National Forest (where Mt. Washington is). It's not that far away and it is a spectacular drive. Labor day weekend is probably a few weeks too early for the peak of the foliage season, but it is still incredible scenery.

Have Fun!

Don

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
i can probably make this one :) kinda running out of excuses now :p

VeeDubTDI

TDI
He wants to know if there will be additional mandatory fees for use of optional amenities like golf courses, ski runs, WiFi, etc. All the resort type places have these fees in addition to their excessively priced rooms (funny that non-resorts can provide WiFi free with their lower, more reasonably priced rooms). When negotiations for an event at one of these resorts are going on, it is best to get these fees waived. Once at a Miata event the resort decided to not waive these fees and those who had planned on coming told the organizers that we would not do so. They went back to the resort and told it either waive the fees or we walk. The resort waived the fees.
Gotcha. This being a ski resort in the middle of the summer, you're not going to get any skiing in, so you don't have to worry about those fees. ;)

Golf course is not part of the resort, so they can't waive whatever fees are associated with golfing.

WiFi is complimentary in the entire hotel. Heated pool use and fitness center use are both complimentary.

Otherwise, event rates such as hotel room prices, food prices, food minimums, and other charges have been or are being negotiated. This isn't my first time at the rodeo. :) That said, you're right - hotels aren't cheap, but we can't really have TDIFest at Uncle Bob's Dive Bar over in the industrial park. The trick is to find a great venue that is in the off season and negotiate pricing accordingly... I think we've been able to so that with Sunday River. ;)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Another really cool drive idea would be to drive the Kancamagus Highway in New Hampshire (from Conway to Lincoln) through the White Mountain National Forest (where Mt. Washington is). It's not that far away and it is a spectacular drive. Labor day weekend is probably a few weeks too early for the peak of the foliage season, but it is still incredible scenery.
That's my new car test drive road. Great fun.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Gotcha. This being a ski resort in the middle of the summer, you're not going to get any skiing in, so you don't have to worry about those fees. ;)
You'd be surprised at what resorts try to do. I've heard that some have developed a non-snow use for their ski runs. Again it seems to be only these "resort" places that are so greedy.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Well, the topic of resort fees has been in the news lately. Also, in the last few years we've been hit with resort fees even at group rates in places like South Miami, Las Vagas, etc. Since, I'll be coming off a month trip to Alaska next summer, it was something I wanted to make sure I plan into the event and my budget.

I am very excited about this Fest. It is in a neck of the woods that I've longed to return to. As I age, my hopes to "thru" hike the Appalachian Trail dewindles. So, while I am up there, I'd like to swing by Baxter State Park and see what Mt. Katadin is all about.

My hat is off to all those who have worked so hard making arrangements for this Fest.

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
That's my new car test drive road. Great fun.
The Kancamagus is fantastic but wait till you try the "Height of Land" in Maine. Better views and a lot fewer cars. That said why not both and Mt. Washington too? After all we are a CAR club are we not?

baja_brewer

Veteran Member
TDI
1980 Rabbit Pickup (1.6 IDI), 1990 Corrado TDI, 2010 Audi A5
Hoping to make it in the Corrado! Hopefully putting the dash back together this weekend.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Only a possibility since it's snowed every month of the year up there and the snow in Tucks lasts until July.

I've climbed it a few times, but only in winter, when it's a lot more fun.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I'd love to do the climb in the winter - I'm a sucker for snow.