Towing

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
...and, having just driven my car up some little driveway ramps...scary af. :eek:

Z85rado

TDI
2015 Sportwaged TDI
I already purchased a 2019 leftover it’s a fx with the 1800cc rather than the 1050cc. I bought it late in the year for a better deal. I haven’t ridden it yet which is horrible cuz I look at it in the garage everyday lol. That seems like it would be a good one to take your kid out on. I like going fast so I bought the middle of the road one.
I'm sure you'll have yours out before/if I pull the trigger. I had a polaris SLT 780 way back in the day and replaced it with an SLX 1200 which at the time was a 60MPH ski. I like the lightness of the EXR, i remember riding one of the early seadoo with a ton of power and it was so heavy it felt more like a boat.

2015Golftdi

TDI
2015 Golf
I would be interested in your experience now that you have the tune(which I presume included the DSG tune).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I filled up with one tank on the stage 2 tune and it didn’t seem to be as bad. It seems like the stock tune it’s on now almost over fuels. I’m going to run a few tanks on each tune and pick the best overall economy and performance. I will let you know what I find out. I have a stock tune, stage one, stage two and stage three.

2015Golftdi

TDI
2015 Golf
I'm sure you'll have yours out before/if I pull the trigger. I had a polaris SLT 780 way back in the day and replaced it with an SLX 1200 which at the time was a 60MPH ski. I like the lightness of the EXR, i remember riding one of the early seadoo with a ton of power and it was so heavy it felt more like a boat.
I hope to have it out ASAP lol. Looking at it everytime I pull in the garage stinks. I have a feeling this one will be quite heavy on the water. I did just buy an older yamaha 760 just so I could have friends ride that and not tear up the new one lol. It was also a good deal.

2015Golftdi

TDI
2015 Golf
Back to the original topic, I ended up ordering a hitch from uhaul and am going to have them install it next week. It seems like the car should be able to handle it, but if it can’t handle the ramp I’ll just haul around my utility trailer.

Uno’15TDi

TDI
2015 Golf SEL
Back to the original topic, I ended up ordering a hitch from uhaul and am going to have them install it next week. It seems like the car should be able to handle it, but if it can’t handle the ramp I’ll just haul around my utility trailer.

I think if I can tow a Uhaul containing a heavy 5 cylinder Mercedes Diesel behind a Prius (from BELLINGHAM ,WA to LA) you should be able to tow behind your TDI.

Last edited:

TDIForumMember1

TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Towing- potential drivetrain damage and emissions warranty

Hi all- I thought I’d ask since this seems to be a pretty active thread. I now have a ‘15 Golf TDI (6 speed manual) and have been wondering about the towing rating on it. The owners manual- there are so many pages about how to tow, what to tow, how to hook up a hitch etc., but then the tow ratings for the manual transmission just say “not available at time of printing.”
It looks like someone did tow with my car in the past, I found a wiring harness in the trunk and a loose carriage bolt off of the rear frame. Anything I should be concerned about with the transmission? The clutch seems fine, the shift into second is a little clunkier than my Mazda, but I’ve heard similar reviews about the transmission...
And if I’m the future I did decide to tow, would that hurt the emissions warranty?
Also, it’s been great reading everyone’s experiences with the car!

2015Golftdi

TDI
2015 Golf
I think if I can tow a Uhaul containing a heavy 5 cylinder Mercedes Diesel behind a Prius (from BELLINGHAM ,WA to LA) you should be able to tow behind your TDI.

I’m mainly worried if the boat ramp is wet/slick if I’d be able to get the jet ski up out of the lake. I don’t think it will have issues driving through town or the highway.

2015Golftdi

TDI
2015 Golf
Hi all- I thought I’d ask since this seems to be a pretty active thread. I now have a ‘15 Golf TDI (6 speed manual) and have been wondering about the towing rating on it. The owners manual- there are so many pages about how to tow, what to tow, how to hook up a hitch etc., but then the tow ratings for the manual transmission just say “not available at time of printing.”
It looks like someone did tow with my car in the past, I found a wiring harness in the trunk and a loose carriage bolt off of the rear frame. Anything I should be concerned about with the transmission? The clutch seems fine, the shift into second is a little clunkier than my Mazda, but I’ve heard similar reviews about the transmission...
And if I’m the future I did decide to tow, would that hurt the emissions warranty?
I have test driven a couple manual tdis and I didn’t like the way they shifted through the gears compared to a gas car. It does seem like the last one I test drove had the same clunking you speak of.

As for towing with the manual transmission the hitch would be rated the same 2000 pounds. I don’t think it would be any different than the automatic car. I wouldn’t think it would effect the warranty if there still is a warranty.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
@airstreamer started this thread for his MkVI TDI Golf.

@DerekG also is in that thread with a MkVI TDI Golf (on about page 10 I think) Notice the picture in his sig

Jason