Golf tdi transmission to a 01 Jetta TDI?

300hpg5

TDI
01 Jetta tdi
I'm looking at at Volkswagen Jetta TDI only needs a transmission, so I've been looking on eBay and the cleanest one I've found is a golf tdi transmission but eBay says it will work. I'm wondering if anyone has done this, knows if it will work, or has found any other 01 Jetta automatic transmissions under $1000.

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
No. Wont work. Gearing is all wrong.
Best deal is to rebuild it. It's not that difficult on these transmissions compared to the older o2a and o2j.
The problem is the auto trans all are just horible. Swap to a manual if you must swap trans.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Jetta and Golf of the same vehicle generation ("model year" but not quite always) and engine (TDI versus gasoline) have exactly the same mechanical parts. The TDI transmission is NOT the same as the comparable transmission from a gasoline engine vehicle ... but the transmission from a Golf TDI is exactly the same as that from a Jetta TDI of the same vehicle generation.

Just FYI the 4 speed automatic transmission from back then is generally regarded as a ticking time bomb.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
I'm looking at at Volkswagen Jetta TDI only needs a transmission, so I've been looking on eBay and the cleanest one I've found is a golf tdi transmission but eBay says it will work. I'm wondering if anyone has done this, knows if it will work, or has found any other 01 Jetta automatic transmissions under $1000.
I have a 5 speed swap kit that you can have for less than $1000!!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The 01M is not a very good unit.

But the Golf/Jetta are the same car mechanically, they use the same transmission. All the ALH cars would have used the same 01M although you can verify with the 3-digit code.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
I will sell my 5 speed alone with Wavetrac for maybe $550 + shipping from Duluth MN

Dayum! Now there's a deal, lol, I've already got a Peloquin,,,,,,,,,,,,
And now a Jeep CRD, I'm no longer looking for a 2nd VW TDI.
Hmmm, wonder if I could get that linked up to the VM motor.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Hmmm, wonder if I could get that linked up to the VM motor.
Um, yeah, no, a front wheel drive transmission from a transverse-engined VW isn't going to work in a (primarily) rear-wheel drive, longitudinally-engined Jeep.