1999 golf

gunnerthesnowman

TDI
2004 diesel jetta
remove it not allowed, I have a 1999 golf with a 2.8L VR6 motor , it has two timing chains, looked a videos on changing these timing chains, in some they changed the sprocket and others they did not, what's the NORM.
I know as a dirt bike rider, if you needed to be changed the chain you did the sprocket as well, if not the chain would not last long, is this true with this car timing Chain ?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The I-shaft sprocket is pretty much always worn out on those.

There are also guides and tensioners that get replaced, rear main seal, valve cover gasket and intake gasket, etc.

Good time to rebuild the fragile thermostat and "crack pipe" as well as the oil cooler seals.

Big job, I've done a lot of them. Not bad, just time consuming.

MUCH easier with the front of the car off. But not necessary. An extra ~15 min is worth it though.

Last edited:

gunnerthesnowman

TDI
2004 diesel jetta
Yes, all the video,s on line that I seen so far has the motor on a stand changing the chains , have not found one yet on what is involved in changing when the motor is in the car ?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Well, the basics are:

Remove the transmission.

Remove the clutch/flywheel (or flexplate if automatic).

Remove the intake manifold.

Remove the oil pan.

Remove the valve cover.

Remove the chain covers.

Then everything will be exposed. There is a camshaft setting bar that lines the cams up at TDC, and a crankshaft holder that holds the crank at TDC. The I-shaft is not timed directly as it just runs the oil pump, however the gear does have timing marks that get lined up to insure that both chains are timed properly to run the camshafts.

I think once you get in there you'll see it isn't all that difficult. Just a job getting TO the chains. On a stand or in the car really makes no difference, as you have to strip the engine down pretty far to do it in the car anyway. Which is why I provided that picture (sorry it is not any clearer, lens must've had something on it).

Any you said "1999 Golf", which could mean an A3 car (like a '98) or an A4 car (like the 2000 pictured above). The cars are different, but the AAA (A3) and AFP (A4) engines are mostly the same, and the same procedure applies.

Last edited: