custom sun shade for JW Pana roof now availble

Outrider6

Veteran Member
TDI
JSW 2011
Wow, that looks awful.

Ok, this thread begs the question .. why did you folks order a car with a panoramic sunroof in the first place?
If you close the OEM sunshade screen, you won't see what's in the posted photos. When you look up, all you see is headliner.

The pano is a great feature when the sun isn't so intense. Even if it isn't summer, most days when I drive to work in city traffic, I still don't want the noise and the pollution exposure you get when opening the panoramic sunroof. So if I'm not going to open the roof and don't want to roast the interior, this is $40 well spent.

Just buy the custom part, hide it above your OEM sunscreen, and don't worry about getting roasted from on top.

The other answer about why you buy options is in VW's hands. Want the NAV, you get the roof and wheels you don't want.

I'd bet most folks on this forum could put together much more appealing packages than VW has done for us, but that's way off topic.

Last edited:

m_skena

Veteran Member
TDI
Not Any More!
I really don't know what all the complaining is about. I find that as long as I close the shade that the car is no warmer than other cars in those really hot days. No matter what you do or how you do it, cars get hot in the summer. Always have, always will. Solution: buy a motorcycle.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I really don't know what all the complaining is about. I find that as long as I close the shade that the car is no warmer than other cars in those really hot days.
If I lived in a temperate climate like you do, I would agree completely. However the afternoon sun is nothing short of brutal when you live in the middle of a desert. Bring your JSW to Las Vegas (or Texas, or Arizona, etc.) in the middle of July or August and you would change your mind in one day. Without the heatshield (either this one or my bubble foil homemade one) the temperature (while driving) is at least 20 degrees hotter an inch below the sun screen than it is 6 inches below that. The amount of heat gain is amazing. This heatshield makes for several more miles per gallon due to less load on the AC system, not to mention much more comfort. Las Vegas and Maryland are worlds apart (in more than one way).

Ok, this thread begs the question .. why did you folks order a car with a panoramic sunroof in the first place?
I didn't order it. In fact I really didn't want it. However, I had no choice except to wait for 6 to 8 months for a custom order. I wanted a light colored (white, silver, etc.) JSW with a manual transmission. Manuals are hard to find in the US and I bought what I could get. That said, now that I have it I actually really like the pano roof about 8 or 9 months out of the year. It is just June through August that it causes problems.

Have Fun!

Don

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT; Black uni, Cornsilk
Ok, got it.

If it's just for three months and you hide that hideous thing under the screen, I guess it's not so bad (and it's cheap). I have never been one to use sun shields or anything like that so I just don't get it but I also don't live in a desert. ;)

I guess I am glad I live in an area where I can enjoy the roof all year long. I chose the cornsilk because I like the color, but also because I hate how hot black leather can get -- sunroof or not -- in any climate with sunshine, even wintertime.

Last edited:

Outrider6

Veteran Member
TDI
JSW 2011
As far as performance goals, what you're trying to do is to make sure the car doesn't get much warmer than the ambient temperature. So if the car sits in the sun for 10 hours and it's 100 degrees out, you want the inside to be closer to 100 than to 150. The custom sunshade helps because the pano makes for a pretty good greenhouse. So does your front windshield...so get that covered, too.

As far as the company is concerned, I got pretty good service. I ordered two windscreen sunshields on line over a weekend, then called them Monday morning PST to add the sunshade for the pano roof. Shipping took about a week from West to East.

BTW, my thanks to JonD for starting this thread and for getting the company to make the product...

Last edited:

TwoTone

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta (sold)
Hey at least you have an option now, vs. the $2500 to fix the shade when it rips out of warranty.

Outrider6

Veteran Member
TDI
JSW 2011
You Never See It...

Wow, that looks awful.

Order?

I wanted my TDI to come with NAV and 17s. VWoA decided I needed the pano...

Our 2.0 6MT SEL came used...no choice on paint nor on accessories for this rare beast. (One of the 1500 6MT EA888s that were built only for VWoA.) This pano has been a leaky PITA.

What the overhead sunshield does for you is to keep the car cooler when the sun is at its most intense. I'm very glad to have it.

TDIAustin

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW, MT, Red/Cornsilk
Just ordered mine for windshield and top. When you order two, you get $5 off each item which about pays for your shipping.

Yep, here in Austin, temps are normally 100 or more about every day in the summer. The one for the top will come in handy.

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 SportWagen TDI DSG (Buyback 2018.01.30)
Can someone who has the pano shade post a few pictures with it installed?

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 SportWagen TDI DSG (Buyback 2018.01.30)
thx @Outrider6! missed those images.

with the shade closed, it looks fine! i'm sure it will also marginally help minimize sound.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
My homemade one you never see it from May to late Sept with the screen pulled fwd.
I made a homemade sunscreen for my JSW too. I made mine out of 48" wide stuff and it was not very snug in the opening (it was easy to slide in and out with the regular sunscreen retracted only about 1 foot or so). The reason I "upgraded" to the commercial one in this thread is that when I went to remove my homemade unit and I opened the regular sunscreen a bit, the add-on homemade screen moved backwards with it and tried to get rolled up with the stock (perforated) sunscreen. It almost ruined my headliner. I learned to never completely close the factory sunscreen - always leave enough room to stick your fingers up there and hold the homemade heat shield while you retract the factory sunscreen. It could prevent a disaster if yours fits like mine did. This commercial heatshield fits so snugly, it couldn't move if it wanted to.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. I might have to put mine back in soon, it hit 102F today, 103 tomorrow. It's too early in the year for that kind of stuff.:confused:

cwescapexlt4x4

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (previous 2011 JSW TDI)
Good point/tip - as I (from your earlier postings) also leave the small gap at front to hold it when rolling the screen back.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I am guessing that most of the trouibles with the destruction of the OEM shade is extreme heat over a long period of time,or Have others had the same issue in more moderate climates.

I think the Germans don't have any concept of the pressure some of these vehicles get in either extreme heat or cold. Europe is rather moderate all the way around.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Got two babies sitting in the backseat rear facing (I have no idea how to get A/C cold air to them any ideas?) . Summer is here and those babies are gonna fry! I hesitated buying this Heatshield, but we put it in yesterday with 93*F and my god, it actually works! It's amazing how much cooler it is when the car has been parked in the sun. The A/C cools the cabin much faster and isn't fighting for long. I didn't want to admit it, but it's a huge difference.

Like Don said, I want my panoramic sunroof, and I will use it for the 9 months of the year and enjoy it. The babies love watching trees pass by, and I love seeing their face with the extra light in the cabin.

When the temperature stays above 90*F I will keep this Heatshield in place and give my children a fighting chance of not sweating like a prostitute in church. I'm still hesitant to get the windshield piece, as the the wife won't be interested in the process of putting it up and putting it away.

I do love my ceramic tint, and my aspherical mirrors, and my Polar FIS MFD, and my euroswitch, This has gotta be one of the best purchases for comfort ever.

Last edited:

cwescapexlt4x4

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (previous 2011 JSW TDI)
The windshield sunshade makes a HUGE difference for sure... you aren't fighting a super heated dash along with everything else.

bmc1980

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI DSG (bought 5.29.2019)...2002 VW Jetta wagon GLS 2.0L (gas) RIP 5.19.2019 due to accident
Is that using a regular windshield sunshade? I was thinking the same thing, as I have a two-piece windshield sunshade (from Walmart) that is just about the same width as the opening of the pano-sunroof. I wonder - could I just carefully tuck the two pieces between the headliner and sunroof? They would be easy to remove, and not too difficult to install. And they should be thin enough that I could still close the OEM sunshade. For my windshield, I can just buy another sunshade.

bmc1980

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI DSG (bought 5.29.2019)...2002 VW Jetta wagon GLS 2.0L (gas) RIP 5.19.2019 due to accident
Ordered my windshield sunshade from HeatShield for my 2014 JSW. The sunroof shade looked like a conventional sunroof, not for the pano.

bmc1980

TDI
I received my Heatshield Sunshade for my 2014 JSW - I'm really impressed with the material and construction quality, especially compared to the standard sunshades you see at most retailers. However, mine seems to be a bit big. I checked the part number - 1307 - and it seems to be correct, but the sunshade does have to sag a big in the center to fit, as it's too long (referring to the distance between the base of the dash, and the top of the headliner). Does anyone know if this is designed to be that way, or should the entire sunshade be in direct contact with the windshield?

ewdysar

TDI
2014 JSW TDi 6m
i have the heatshield windshield shade in my ‘14 JSW. i find the if i push the shade downward, with a little side to side wiggle, the shade slips between the windshield and the forward edge of the dash. once it slips down, the top edge of the shade just barely touches the edge of the headliner. if you don’t do this, and you look at the shade from outside car, you can see the forward edge of the dash exposed to the brutal sun, even with the shade up. pushing it down covers that edge, to me, that’s a good thing.

bmc1980

TDI
i have the heatshield windshield shade in my ‘14 JSW. i find the if i push the shade downward, with a little side to side wiggle, the shade slips between the windshield and the forward edge of the dash. once it slips down, the top edge of the shade just barely touches the edge of the headliner. if you don’t do this, and you look at the shade from outside car, you can see the forward edge of the dash exposed to the brutal sun, even with the shade up. pushing it down covers that edge, to me, that’s a good thing.
Thank you for your reply. I'll definitely try this tomorrow, as I just tried the sunshade out this evening when I got home from work. Maybe the fit is just extra snug.

Are you able to fit the sunshade around your rearview mirror?

ewdysar

TDI
2014 JSW TDi 6m
yep. during the side to side wiggle, you can slip past the mirror with just a little bending of the corners.

bmc1980

TDI
yep. during the side to side wiggle, you can slip past the mirror with just a little bending of the corners.
Okay, so I tried that this morning. Even with wedging the sunshade between the base of the dash and the windshield, it still rests beyond the point where the top of the windshield meets the headliner. In other words, that area where the headliner meets the windshield is still exposed to the sun. Is that the case with yours? Would you mind offering me a measurement of your sunshade? Maybe from top to bottom. I’m wondering if my pattern was cut too big.