Re-setting to original pre-emissions scandal settings?

Matthewhovis

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
Has anyone successfully reset their TDI to pre emissions scandal settings? We have a 2010 sportwagon that was totally ruined by the new modifications. We want our old car back, can it be done?
The car only gets 28 mpgs, has lost 40% of power, and worst of all it regens the diesel participate filter every time we drive it.
I am wondering if there are any aftermarket re-maps available?

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Not legally permitted. It sounds like a problem with specific cars not affecting every one after the fix. Edit: I haven't read this forum in a while, seems like those doing the fix have fallen into two camps, fairly minor differences and nuclear war. Shrug.

Last edited:

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
You have a problem with the vehicle that either showed up coincidentally with the fix, or was pre-existing but revealed by the fix.

Plenty of aftermarket re-maps are available, but they won't fix something that's broken.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
You have a problem with the vehicle that either showed up coincidentally with the fix, or was pre-existing but revealed by the fix.

Plenty of aftermarket re-maps are available, but they won't fix something that's broken.
I agree

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
I have the stock tune file for my car. I could probably reflash it using my Powergate, but I’d rather have a stage 2 tune.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
Have the DPF loading checked. Are you driving such short distances that the DPF burnoff never finishes?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Have the DPF loading checked. Are you driving such short distances that the DPF burnoff never finishes?
Bingo. You have to let it finish, otherwise it will just keep trying and wasting fuel.

Matthewhovis

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
The car is driven two hours a day, to and from work. I would think that would be sufficient time for the dpf to regen. I have been looking into the Malone stage 1. Anyone have it that can give feedback?

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Bingo. You have to let it finish, otherwise it will just keep trying and wasting fuel.
A couple times this past month I've noticed the fans going full blast for a good 5+ minutes after I've turned the key off and started to walk away.

Is that indicative that the regen was just getting started, in the middle, or cooling down at the end? I never know if I've just missed one or if it just finished, but I sure do hear this happening a *lot* more frequently than my pre-fix 2012. I don't even remember hearing that ever in my 2012 and I drove that for years. I've only had this post-fix 2015 a couple months and it almost seems like a weekly basis.

I've even hopped back in and drove back on to the freeway for a few miles round but I don't know if that did any good.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The car is driven two hours a day, to and from work. I would think that would be sufficient time for the dpf to regen. I have been looking into the Malone stage 1. Anyone have it that can give feedback?
That isn't enough necessarily. If those hours don't coincide with a regen then it won't complete at times. I use VAG DPF to monitor mine. Even with a 45 minute one way drive I find it usually happens when I get ready to stop. It pays to monitor this to insure it regens for the health of the system. The few dollars it costs to do this vs the hassle of not knowing and having something happen is worth it to me. Once you see how often it happens you can plan a little better for them without excessive time or effort.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW

I agree with this. Fixed cars don't regen significantly more often than pre-fixed cars, and the FE loss, if any, is minor. It's also possible that something went awry with the fix. I'd take it back to the dealer and let them know what's happening.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
Fixed cars don't regen significantly more often than pre-fixed cars
That's surprising you believe fixed cars don't regenerate more frequently. The entire scandal was about the emissions systems not operating as much or even at all under daily driving circumstances.

It seems pretty clear that the software fix is increased regens with more adblue consumption and different shiftpoints. The power exists, but it's more difficult to get to (with a DSG, at least). It's much more difficult to hop from light to light now than before. The pedal is spongier, but exactly as one would expect if one was in an economy mode.

Anyway, meeting the extreme position of, "my car is ruined" with, "nothing substantive has changed" seems silly.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I said "significantly." They may regen more often, although we haven't experienced that with the fixed cars here at IDParts. What we definitely haven't seen is a significant increase in fuel consumption. The combination of more fuel used and more frequent regens indicates to me that there's something wrong with the OP's car.

demagxc

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
I also do not notice "significantly" more regens. I did notice the car allows a regen to begin sooner after it is initially started. I have not noticed a huge jump in the number of regens.

I am only one data point but the "more adblue consumption" seems to be insignificant and not noticeable. Up until my lost oil change I had been topping off the DEF at every oil change. I decided to see how long it actually lasts post fix, and skipped the top off at my 60k service. I am pushing 63k now and still haven't received the low DEF warning. To me this says the average driver will never notice the increase.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I have a little over 6k miles on my new left over 2015 Beetle and haven't had the warning for def come on yet. My old 2013 Passat made it at least 10k between fills. I will see if this one does.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Has anyone successfully reset their TDI to pre emissions scandal settings? We have a 2010 sportwagon that was totally ruined by the new modifications. We want our old car back, can it be done?
The car only gets 28 mpgs, has lost 40% of power, and worst of all it regens the diesel participate filter every time we drive it.
I am wondering if there are any aftermarket re-maps available?

take it back to the dealer and tell them to fix it.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a little over 6k miles on my new left over 2015 Beetle and haven't had the warning for def come on yet. My old 2013 Passat made it at least 10k between fills. I will see if this one does.
You both can quit waiting for a very long time if you topped it off. The tank is 5 or more gallons and the sensor will read as 100% full all the way down to at least 3 gallons. You wouldn't have normally seen the light on before the fix and you won't ever see the warning now so long as you continue filling the DEF tank.

That's ignoring the obvious problems with comparing different model years of completely different models to one another.

If you want to gauge consumption drive a set amount of miles pre-fix, measure how much you fill the tank, then drive the same path under the same conditions post-fix and measure how much it takes to fill the tank up...just like checking fuel mileage. An entire range of dummy lights have next to worthless relationships to the things they are gauging and this one isn't any different.

It's a factual observation that more regens and their requisite increased fuel consumption are a natural byproduct of the accepted fix. It's a subjective claim as to whether it's enough to bother you. Trying to qualify an argument around something's significance is ridiculous and, at least in this thread, a strawman of the person's feelings anyway. Attempts to convince people of a fact who are unwilling to be convinced of a certain fact or unwilling to accept that that fact might bother others more than them is a fools errand.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I am not comparing mine to anything. Just want to know if the light comes on before 10k miles. Doesn't really matter to me one way or another. When it comes on or I do a regular service it will get topped off. Mine has only been filled once by the dealer when I bought it.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
I am not comparing mine to anything. Just want to know if the light comes on before 10k miles. Doesn't really matter to me one way or another. When it comes on or I do a regular service it will get topped off. Mine has only been filled once by the dealer when I bought it.
Your post was literally one sentence describing what your 2015 Beetle does, a second sentence describing what your 2013 Passat did, and a third sentence stating that you were curious to see if your Beetle was going to do what your Passat did. That's a comparison in the English I speak :D

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Nope you added in something I didn't.

"and a third sentence stating that you were curious to see if your Beetle was going to do what your Passat did."

All I said is I will see what the Beetle does. Just 3 statements no comparisons.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
Nope you added in something I didn't.

"and a third sentence stating that you were curious to see if your Beetle was going to do what your Passat did."

All I said is I will see what the Beetle does. Just 3 statements no comparisons.
There's something peculiar about this particular forum that I never see anywhere else, and of which I fall into myself, about nitpicking the most ridiculous points in posts.

That culture seems to have been well cemented before I joined and presumably will persist long after I'm gone. So with that out of the way, let's see what we can see:

"My old 2013 Passat made it at least 10k between fills. I will see if this one does." is literally a comparison between whether your Beetle is going to do what your Passat did.

If you wrote, "I will see if this one does." in a vacuum no one would know what you are even talking about. If you actually did write, "I will see what my Beetle does" (you didn't, but you write in this latest post that you did), no one would know what you were waiting to see your Beetle do.

If you wanted a non-comparative, stand-alone statement it would have to be written thusly, "I am curious to see how much Ad-Blu my 2015 Beetle consumes." If that was your intention the inclusion of your 2013 Passat's Ad-Blu consumption in the same paragraph is superfluous in addition to being a non-sequitur to the question of how much your Beetle consumes.

Now you have a complimentary English composition lesson from your local professor. What you do with it, however, remains to be seen...

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
There are lots of technical topics, without specific precise details, information gets skewed and its tough to peg down possible solutions.

I've been digging through the EA888 Gen3 1.8T information, its just as frustrating the engine assembly of the Jetta/Passan't isn't 100% same as the Golf, this causes a lot of of confusion as well.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
If the car has really lost nearly half its power, there is a major problem somewhere. If the dealer can't find and fix the problem, I'd sell the car. Maybe see if they have any other fixed tdi's on the lot they'd let you use for a day or two for comparisons sake.