frequently asked torque specs

mk3

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta GLS 5-speed
Some ALH engines have different harmonic balancer and different torque

If you search for this part number N-103-036-03 you should find a posting by me explaining why on my 2003 ALH engine (and some others) the torque spec for the Harmonic balancer bolts is :

10 Nm + 90 degrees turn
Always replace!

VW dealers do not know this ( mine didn't)

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Thanks for tracking this one down... BTW: your other posting is in the A3 forum... you should really have it moved...

10 nm ??? That's not very much... 7.3756 ft*lb... even with the addtional 90 degrees...

We replaced my timing belt yesterday, and although I had replacement bolts, we re-used the originals... Since they weren't replaced during the first timing belt replacement either, I think one of these days I'll just replace them on principle... (They looked great, BTW...)

Yuri.

2003 TDI Jetta Wagon 196722 miles 41.5 months

Last edited:

mk3

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta GLS 5-speed
Thanks!

I did a search for "Harmonic Balancer bolt" and blindly posted that without noticing I was in the wrong Forum... Thanks for pointing that out! I think I fixed it now.

btw, 10 Nm + 90 degrees is a lot of tension, I can assure you because I just did this on my car. I was worried I would round out the hex keys. Try it and you will see ; )

akliven

TDI
2000 golf
injectors torque

I'm putting in pp520's and can't seem to find the 15mm injector "cap"? torque. the thing that holds the injector to the housing/spring assembley. any idea. thanks

rob

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
akliven said:
I'm putting in pp520's and can't seem to find the 15mm injector "cap"? torque. the thing that holds the injector to the housing/spring assembley.
The PDF says 33 ft*lbs - but that's not really enough... According to Kerma, "screw down the nozzle retaining nut with a wrench until it bottoms out on the injector and is "snug". Then take a deepwell socket and breaker bar and tighten it 30 degrees."

The injector hold-downs are only 15 Ft*Lbs...

Yuri.

akliven

TDI
2000 golf
ymz said:
The PDF says 33 ft*lbs - but that's not really enough... According to Kerma, "screw down the nozzle retaining nut with a wrench until it bottoms out on the injector and is "snug". Then take a deepwell socket and breaker bar and tighten it 30 degrees."

The injector hold-downs are only 15 Ft*Lbs...

Yuri.
thanks. Its been a long tedious process rebuilding this engine but since i have it apart i might as weel upgrade it.

rob

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
rawdon1 said:
torque specs front axle nut ?
Do you have a Bentley service manual??? Be careful not to have any weight on the wheel when you start loosening the front axle retaining nut !!!!!!

To install:

Tighten 12-point nut to 200 Nm and loosen 1/2 turn.
Turn wheel hub 180 ° .

Tighten again with:

50 Nm + 60 ° additional turn (make marks... 2 "corners" of the nut equal 60 °)

It also says to "Coat with oil before installing the axle shaft:
The splines of the outer joint
The thread of the outer joint
Wheel hub splines
The contact surface and threads of the 12 point nut."

(BTW: for those that have cars with a bolt instead of the 12 point nut: NO OIL on the threads of the bolt !!!!)

Yuri.

Vindiesel6

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Golf GLS TDI & 2015 Q5 TDI
What is the proper torque spec for the 6 front axle bolts holding the axle to the transmission flange? Thanks.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Vindiesel6 said:
What is the proper torque spec for the 6 front axle bolts holding the axle to the transmission flange?
According to Bentley, it's done in 2 stages... first tighten them diagonally to 10 NM (7.4 Ft*Lbs), then tighten them diagonally to 40 NM (29.5 Ft*Lbs) (that is: if those are 8 mm bolts... the 10 mm bolt cars are tightened to 70 NM)

Yuri.

Shainer

TDI
Jetta Sedan 2002 Black
What about the use of anti-seize and locktite? Are there locations either one of these products are required or banned?

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
I think it's high time this got a bump...

Keith_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta MT
Shainer said:
What about the use of anti-seize and locktite? Are there locations either one of these products are required or banned?
Most are clean and dry torque values. Well, not degreased but not dripping oil either The only place anti-seize is needed would be for glow plug threads. Thread locking? Not needed for most.

keggo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Personally, I'd replace all common hardware such as nuts and bolts, even if not specified or I just forgot to mention it. Obviously you don't have to replace things like the ball joints everytime you undo them.

Ball joint to spindle (self-locking nut): 45 Nm

Ball joint to control arm (use new bolts): 20 Nm plus an additional 90* turn

Strut retainer bolt and self-locking nut (bolt that goes through spindle, holding the strut in place; replace hex bolt. Bolt point must point to the front of vehicle): 60 Nm plus an additional 90* turn; Never less than 90*

Caliper to carrier (8mm allen; caliper->carrier pins): 28 Nm

Carrier to spindle ("ribbed combi bolts"): 125 Nm

Brake hose to caliper (banjo union and bolt): 35 Nm

Tie rod end self-locking nut: 45 Nm

Last edited:

Keith_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta MT
Havokk said:
the Benteley doesn't have all the torque specs?
Parts have changed. Some, like the gold IP sprocket bolts, are 18 foot-pounds and done instead of the green, necked bolts which are 15 foot-pounds plus 1/4 turn.

New grey engine mount bolts are 74 foot-pounds and done where the old greens are 44 foot pounds plus 1/4 turn or something like that.

Unless you get updates to your Bentley, this list is the best.

ta79pr

Veteran Member
TDI
02 TTQ (BEW)
I have a bolt question and figure this is good a place as any. What is the proper jargon name for the bolts (or "screws if you want to be technical) that have a smooth portion on the tip to guide the initial threading? Many of the VW TTY bolts are like this.

mk3

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta GLS 5-speed
good question! I have tried to figure that one myself so I could source one from China for my job (our factory is in China). Whenever i ask for something new in China, the factory team tells me "we cannot get that here"!!! Of course you can get everything in China because that's where we get all of our stuff.. I digress..

The closest I can suggest is "Piloted bolt", "Pilot bolt", "Pilot screw" or "Piloted screw"

I would confidently say that the feature on the end of the screw is a "pilot".

TDI
None
Engine and Transmission Mount Torque Specs

Can someone verify the torque specs for the Engine Mount, Engine Mount Alignment Bracket, and Transmission Mount Bolts please? Bought a new bolt kit with my mounts and I'm unsure of the correct torque values. Your clarification / corrections would be appreciated!
  1. Engine Mount to Body Bolts - 30lb ft + 1/4 turn?
  2. Engine Mount to Engine Bolts - 74lb ft?
  3. Engine Mount to Alignment Bracket Bolts - 18lb ft?
  4. Transmission Mount to Transmission Bolts (manual) - 74lb ft?
  5. Transmission Mount to Body Bolts - 74lb ft?
Vielen Dank!

Last edited:

carusle

TDI
03 NB TDI
Can anyone verify the torque value for the accessory bracket bolts (6) to engine and if they are one use bolts?
Thanks
Found an answer. The dealer parts guy says these bolts are not stretch bolts and the research dept at Haynes says the torque should be 33 ft lbs.

Last edited:

rand442002

TDI
04 Jetta TDI
Maybe I'm missing it somewhere but I'm going to be changing the oil pan in my 04 Jetta BEW tomorrow (hopefully it'll stop raining so I can) and I can't seem to find the torque values for it. I'm able to find the values for the ALH but not the BEW. Are they the same?

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
I think you may need a long reach ball-allen wrench for the pan bolts between the engine and transaxle. Check into this!

Here it is for the BEW engine (from Bentley):

Volkswagen > A4 Platform > 1999 - 2005
1.9 Liter 4-Cyl. 2V TDI PD Engine Mechanical, Fuel Injection Glow Plug, Engine Code(s): BEW
17 - Lubrication system, servicing Oil pan, removing and installing

Use Silicone sealant D 176 404 A2

Removing
Remove center, left and right sound insulation trays:

Drain engine oil.

Remove securing bolts for oil pan.

Loosen oil pan with light blows of a rubber-headed hammer, if necessary.

Remove oil pan.

Remove sealant residue on cylinder block with a flat scraper.

Remove sealant residue on oil pan with a rotating brush, e.g. a drill motor with a plastic brush (wear eye protection).

Clean sealing surfaces. Surfaces must be free of oil and grease.

Installing
Note: Observe the use-by date of the sealing compound.

The oil pan must be installed within 5 minutes of applying the silicone sealing compound.

Cut off tube nozzle at forward marking (approx. nozzle diameter: 3 mm).

Apply silicone sealing compound, as shown, to clean oil pan sealing surface. Sealant bead must be 2 to 3 mm thick

Run along inner side of bolt holes

The sealing compound bead must not be thicker, otherwise excess sealing compound will enter the oil pan and may block the oil suction pipe strainer.

Apply silicone sealant bead carefully as shown to areas marked by arrows. (Illustration shows position of sealant bead on cylinder block).

Install oil pan immediately and tighten all oil pan bolts lightly.

The oil pan must be flush with the cylinder block.

Tighten oil pan bolts to 15 Nm.

Tighten oil pan/transmission bolts to 45 Nm.

Let the sealing compound dry for approx. 30 minutes after installing the oil pan. Only then fill the engine with oil.

Further assembly is basically the reverse of the disassembly procedure.

--Nate

Last edited:

BioDan

TDI
2000 golf TDI 2002 TDI Jetta 91 1.6 TD Jetta
Lots of good correspondence here ! Thanks for all the torque info. As for the oil pan replacement turn the flywheel till you see the cut outs in it and this will give you good access to the rear bolts

Deezleer

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS, Green sold it in 2018 with 260,000 miles on it!
ALH Injection pump bolts torque

Howdy all,

Can someone tell me if 18 ft-lbs is correct for the replacement (NON-Stretch) inj pump sprocket bolts that the kit sellers are providing in the timing belt kits for an ALH?

Thanks,

Rick