A/c ?

Berlinbuick

TDI
2002 jetta/2006 jetta
06 tdi// When I turn on the a/c it will not actually start working till I drive about a mile. At idle in park I can see that the a/c clutch isn't engaging but after driving it works perfect?? Any clues!

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition
Maybe the fans are not working to cool it off, that's why when the car is not moving you don't have AC, and when is moving the air forced in the radiator area is producing enough cooling for the AC system to work.
Start the troubleshooting by checking if the fans are turning while the AC is on. If they don't move, you've found your problem. If they do, but with a long delay after turning on the AC, the RCV valve inside the compressor is the culprit. You can also check if the fans are functional with VCDS, great tool to have.

Berlinbuick

TDI
2002 jetta/2006 jetta
i just glanced under the hood, So yes i wasnt aware of no clutch. Ill chcek the fan Thanx for the help, I have a directiion to go!

epssax

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW, SEL, 74K
There is a solenoid on the compressor that controls the swashplate. They start to go bad and act exactly as your describe.
I ordered the solenoid off Ebay and my mechanic put it on my compressor and the system put out chilled air instantly.
Estimates of $2000 from dealers or a $68 part. You decide. LOL
ps this was a 2009 Jetta tdi

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
epssax: I think you're referring to the refrigerant control valve (RCV). This is a known weak part on the compressors VW puts in their cars.
$50-70 part, system needs to be evacuated, sometimes compressor bracket (depends on which compressor is in the car) needs to be moved to get to the part. IIRC, labor around 1.5-2 hours

lamboworld

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I can almost guarantee you that your problem is with the RCV. Take it to a shop that can remove your coolant, replace the valve and take it back to the shop to put coolant back into your car. It literally takes about 3 minutes to remove and replace the valve. There are 2 different valves so you have to make sure that you buy the correct one. I bought mine on Amazon for $36.

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
Search this forum. What you are describing is the most common AC malfunction, which is almost always due to a bad RCV (Refrigerant Control Valve) that is relatively inexpensive to address.

06 tdi// When I turn on the a/c it will not actually start working till I drive about a mile. At idle in park I can see that the a/c clutch isn't engaging but after driving it works perfect?? Any clues!