2.0 Gen 1 post fix impressions, issues, etc.

slk23

TDI
2010 Golf TDI (sold back to VW)
Thanks for the report on first impressions.

Completed my fix on my 2010 Gen I TDI (6sp manual - 138,XXX miles). The dealer kept the car for 3 days as they had issues with replacing a glow plug module
That's confusing... according to the information from VW the glow plug module (and DPF) only needs to be replaced in MY 2009 vehicles. Since the Golf TDI 2.0 first model year is 2010 it shouldn't applicable. Only Jetta TDIs were available in MY 2009.

Anyone have any experience with getting a tune like Kerma where you can swap back to the original after their software update??
I don't have any experience with that but be aware that a tune is likely to increase emissions.

LostArk

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
2011 Golf, 6-speed manual, 41k+ miles

Fix completed 9/7, restitution in hand 9/11. No noticeable difference in fuel economy or performance after about 1/4 tank. Will report back if any issues arise.

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
I will. I'm just going to show up tomorrow morning before work at the dealership's express service, no appointment. I can't see how it's anything that would strand me along the highway. Aside from the fix (which involved replacing glow plug module -- wasn't aware of that) they did a 150K service with brake fluid flush and replaced a torn CV joint boot. They also did the snow flap oxygen sensor recall replacement. I'm still not driving the car today. I will report back.
Took the Jetta in today. No appointment, just drove into the express bay and told them the check engine light had come on. The service guy plugged his phone into the port and said there was a code but didn't know any more and told me to go in and get a loaner (a Passat Wolfsburg Edition). The bad news is they called me at work and said the EGR cooler was blocked and needed to be replaced -- $1100 dollars! Are they ripping me off? And like I told the guy on the phone who asked me what I wanted to do, "Fix it, what choice do I have". I spent the afternoon on line learning about the EGR system. It will be a few days until the part comes in but I want an explanation of why this happened immediately after they worked on my car. What is causing the blockage? The problem I always have is the mechanics are back working on the cars and unavailable to the customer. The service guys don't really know the nuts and bolts. They all might be in cahoots anyway.

Last edited:

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
Took the Jetta in today. No appointment, just drove into the express bay and told them the check engine light had come on. The service guy plugged his phone into the port and said there was a code but didn't know any more and told me to go in and get a loaner (a Passat Wolfsburg Edition). The bad news is they called me at work and said the EGR cooler was blocked and needed to be replaced -- $1100 dollars! Are they ripping me off? And like I told the guy on the phone who asked me what I wanted to do, "Fix it, what choice do I have". I spent the afternoon on line learning about the EGR system. It will be a few days until the part comes in but I want an explanation of why this happened immediately after they worked on my car. What is causing the blockage? The problem I always have is the mechanics are back working on the cars and unavailable to the customer. The service guys don't really know the nuts and bolts. They all might be in cahoots anyway.
wait a minute!.. so you just had the fix a few days ago..right? and then you get a c.e.l...and now they say h.core is blocked?? The service guy plugged his phone into the port and said "there was a code but didn't know any more and told me to go in and get a loaner" ..give me a break get your car out of there and get a second opinion..how could they not see that a few days ago?.. was your heater working before??..I call b.s.

Last edited:

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
Thanks, forrest. I will read through that post today. I think because I just drove in without an appointment the service guy was making sure there was a code but did not want to comment any further until a mechanic had properly examined the car (I assume it was a phone, same size, but could have been another device). I'm sure they gave me a loaner immediately because I'd just been in, and I'm a long term customer. They're expensive but they've never ripped me off to my knowledge and I deal with the same people again and again. . . . . .Yes, it's suspicious that this happened a day after they worked on it. I want to be fully prepared when I go in to question them, probably on Thursday. Thanks again.

2011Golf

TDI
2011 Golf
Is it the heater core or EGR cooler that is a problem? I thought the EGR cooler was clearly stated as covered under the extended warranty after the fix?

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
EGR cooler is what I was told on the phone. Do you have a link to what's covered under the extended warranty?

Last edited:

Jeffro420

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
The bad news is they called me at work and said the EGR cooler was blocked and needed to be replaced -- $1100 dollars! Are they ripping me off?
Hey jbright, any update on that fix? The extended warranty covers the entire EGR system, including the EGR cooler.
I ask because I've had a P0401 (EGR flow) error code for some time, and I'm hoping that the dealership is forced to fix the error at their expense (fingers crossed). Just wondering what the outcome was! Thanks!

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
Hey jbright, any update on that fix? The extended warranty covers the entire EGR system, including the EGR cooler.
I ask because I've had a P0401 (EGR flow) error code for some time, and I'm hoping that the dealership is forced to fix the error at their expense (fingers crossed). Just wondering what the outcome was! Thanks!
No, I haven't heard from them yet. It will be interesting when I bring up the warranty coverage of the egr. Apparently, VW isn't honoring it, according to a member on another thread:

VWCC said they would not pay for any part of the cooling system. Even in this situation where the fix caused the CEL to come on. From my point of view the 4 year warranty on the fix should have covered this. Look at prior posts. The wording in the warranty is short, clear and concise.
I think it's worded that way so that the car owner is protected from the very thing that happened here. The dealer misdiagnosed the problem. If I did not catch this it would have been very costly and NOT fixed the problem.
VWCC said that they would not pay for any part of the cooling system, even if it causes the CEL to go away. Once again the wording of the warranty is very clear to me. But VW thinks otherwise. The VWCC people I spoke to did not seem to understand any technical aspects of the car.

N2UADTDI here Got the fix and now have P2457

Last edited:

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
The Egr system is covered under the emissions system warranty. Here there loophole. Any component which reasonably be impacted by the effects of the emissions modification.

Last edited:

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
Reporting back. The code after the emissions was fix was, indeed, for egr flow. However, the service rep this morning tells me they replaced the heater core, which was clogged, and that's what resulted in the egr code. 1100 dollars. Hmmm. Anyone more knowledgeable than I am have any thoughts? I'm picking the car up this afternoon and will ask more questions.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
EGR flow vs EGR cooling are two different issues, please mind what you are reporting.

One issue is the actual exhaust flow back to the engine, the other is the cooling of that gas. As of right now it appears VW doesn't consider the cooling system of that exhaust to be covered under the extended warranty.

Keep your receipts, VW has a history of back dating warranty extensions, if you had it performed by a dealer there may be a good chance of getting your money back.

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
EGR flow vs EGR cooling are two different issues, please mind what you are reporting.

One issue is the actual exhaust flow back to the engine, the other is the cooling of that gas. As of right now it appears VW doesn't consider the cooling system of that exhaust to be covered under the extended warranty.

Keep your receipts, VW has a history of back dating warranty extensions, if you had it performed by a dealer there may be a good chance of getting your money back.
Thanks for the distinction. I hope I can talk to the mechanic when I get there. This will help me.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
The gen.1 warranty booklet explicitly states that the EGR cooler is included
(copied directly from the pdf file, linked to in post 39 in this thread):
" Parts Covered Under Extended Warranty

• The entire exhaust gas after treatment system, including the Diesel Oxidation Catalytic converter (DOC), the NOx Reduction Catalytic Converter, the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF), the exhaust flap, and all sensors and actuators;
  • The entire fuel system, including fuel pumps, high pressure fuel rail, fuel injectors, vibration damper, pressure control valve, and all sensors and actuators;
  • The EGR system, including EGR valves, EGR cooler, EGR filter, EGR temperature sensor, all related hoses and pipes, and all sensors and actuators;
  • The air intake pipe and charge air cooler, charge air temperature sensor and air mass sensor (HFM);
  • The turbocharger, including the turbocharger damper;
  • The glow plug;
  • The On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) system, any malfunctions detected by the On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) system other than those related to the transmission
    Additionally, the engine long block warranty shall cover the engine sub-assembly that consists of the assembled block, crankshaft, cylinder head, camshaft, and valve train.
    The extended emissions warranty includes parts, labor, and applicable taxes. If the warranty service is scheduled to take longer than three hours VW must provide a loaner vehicle. The extended emissions warranty shall not void or supersede any existing warranty. Conflicts concerning the warranty are to be resolved in favor of the consumer.

"

Jbright, in a later post (#45) you say they replaced the 'heater core'. 'Heater core' usually means the passenger cabin water-to-air heat exchanger. But regardless of what they replaced, the catch-all phrase above 'any malfunctions detected by the On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) system other than those related to the transmission' should cover the heater core, if it was replaced to fix a malfunction detected by OBD that is not related to the transmission.

Last edited:

joshhol

TDI
2014 JSW TDI 6MT no sunroof, 1976 MBZ 300D & 1963 MBZ 220S; sold 2013 JSW TDI 6MT
But it doesn't cover the heater core. N2UABTDI's post covers the relationship between heater core and egr cooling in great detail.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
Is the heater core part of the transmission in your car? I think the warranty reads pretty clear.

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
Jbright, in a later post (#45) you say they replaced the 'heater core'. 'Heater core' usually means the passenger cabin water-to-air heat exchanger. But regardless of what they replaced, the catch-all phrase above 'any malfunctions detected by the On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) system other than those related to the transmission' should cover the heater core, if it was replaced to fix a malfunction detected by OBD that is not related to the transmission.
The service rep said the code was a 0247 (coolant reduced to EGR). They replaced the "Heatercore", 1KO-819-031-D. Total cost of $1112.79.

I did not get a chance to talk to the mechanic. I told the rep I would be contacting VW to see if they would cover this. It would seem from the wording of the warranty that it should be covered, but I also read through N2UABTDI's post.

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
The car drove great coming home from work, by the way. I noticed nothing different from before the 'fix'.

add1son

TDI
2009 Sportwagen
@jbright, was the total cost of $1112.79 covered under the emissions fix warranty? Sorry if I'm missing something here.

I'm in agreement with Diesl, it seems pretty clear it should be covered. It is an EGR associated issue according to the error code, and most certainly not the transmission.

I have the exact same issue as you, completed the fix this past Monday, error code thursday, back to the dealer on Friday. Dealer gave me this ballpark dollar amount today for the replacement of my heatercore, but they said it wouldn't be covered.

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
@jbright, was the total cost of $1112.79 covered under the emissions fix warranty? Sorry if I'm missing something here.

I'm in agreement with Diesl, it seems pretty clear it should be covered. It is an EGR associated issue according to the error code, and most certainly not the transmission.

I have the exact same issue as you, completed the fix this past Monday, error code thursday, back to the dealer on Friday. Dealer gave me this ballpark dollar amount today for the replacement of my heatercore, but they said it wouldn't be covered.
They did not cover it. Very interesting that you have the same problem. . . . . . .

Last edited:

mdl3r1

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
Hi all,

Just to report...I went ahead and had the fix done Thursday 9/14... and drove the car today.

Noticed pretty much what SnowyRoad and StayPuff noticed...slightly louder, slightly more diesel-y truck engine soundish...and slight slight delay in startup...but is gone and torques right up right away...and then no difference...

Did notice slightly louder/different noise, yet with my back turned, my ears told me that was my car being pulled up.

Driving-wise, have to say I was prepared for a weaker car and driving experience, and even having to use the S mode to equal the old D mode.

So far, did notice less torque at startup, as others have said...but to me it is quickly overcome by just a bit more gas, which is how I normally drove before, and it immediately torques right up, same as before.

So, I am not saying I am feeding it more gas than before, I am saying in my spirited driving, the car torques up same as always, and does throw me back in seat, same as before except perhaps 1/2 second slower before it kicks up/torques up and accelerates...

So, I'm happy so far, and would say 97-98% the same. And I drove off dealership, onto city driving, traffic and traffic lights, then highway and drove it hard...passed everybody on freeway, had plenty of opps for stepping on the gas pedal....and it flew like always.....so...again, so far, pleased, and glad I was prepared for worse...and got better...

Just hope no codes in future.....will report back.....

Anyone else had fix?? How is driving compared to before?

And @mpriolo,
No SW issues. My service rep was awesome and pretested the SW flash before fix, while I was yet dropping car off...all was well.... ;-) may be just lucky with my 09...he did tell me about that difficulty, and waiting on VW to find a workaround...but I was fortunate...

atsffan

TDI
2013 Golf United Grey 6M 2 doors, no waiting.
First impressions - post fix

Posted this in another part of the Club:

Put on about 525 miles since having the fix done. One 200 mile road trip in So Cal traffic to San Diego and back to L.A., then just the usual commutes to work. 2013 Golf 6MT. No glitches in the work done, in and out in a day.

Only significant change I see so far is a MPG drop from my usual 43-45 down to 41 this time. I've got another road trip to Utah starting today, so that'll give me a better idea if that's the new normal or the car is just relearning my driving habits. Slightly slower start-up (second or two), and maybe a little more noise, but not significant inside.

You can see my Fuelly stat in the signature. That's every fuel-up I've had since owning the car. It was 44.1 prior to the latest.

viper550

TDI
14 JSW 6M, 15 Q5 TDI S-Line
Got mine back after fix yesterday. I don't really notice any difference in how the car drives. It sounds slightly louder, but nothing really noticeable.
I will report back if anything changes. I haven't driven enough to know fuel economy yet.
By the way mine is a Manual Transmission.

mpriolo

TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan, DSG, CP3 HPFP
mdl3r1 - glad your tdi was able to get through the entire fix procedure. We believe that only 09's built early in the model year are affected. Can you please post the build date of your 09? I have seen some other 09's get through the fix with a build date of 11/08. Mine was built in 7/08. If only a percentage of 09's are affected, I doubt VW is putting their best and brightest on solving the issue.

Thanks!

Marty

ticketed2much

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Just curious if anyone knows, if you choose to have the fix done, and don't like how the car is after, can you still sell it back to VW? Obviously VW would subtract the money already paid, but can you still go through the buyback?

I tried looking but didn't see any definite answers.

Thanks

bherman

TDI
2010 TDI Sportswagen
Taking mine in tomorrow (2010 TDI Jetta Wagon automatic, 91,000 miles). Will report back; have several 4 hr drives coming up the rest of the week; hope that I'm not doing them in the loaner).