New Passat TDI confirmed for U.S.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
The only reason we did not buy a 2009 Passat wagen ot Tigaun was that I could not get a diesel. That's the primary reason I buy VW products. Went with a CR-V for a little less than the Tigaun and don't need to feed it premium.

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ;2006 Golf; 2015 Jetta S
3.6 VR6 is a good engine. I get up to 30 mpg in mine on open road and i have 4motion. When it first came out I read reviews that it to much power w/o 4 motion.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
6 MT vs DSG

On the MKVI golf TDI with the DSG rated higher than the 6MT. On my 2010 JSW, I think
that both trannies were rated the same. I assume the Passat TDI will come out
with same numbers for both trannies, like the JSW.
:)

We never know for sure. Why? 'Cause we don't yet know the overall gearing for both Passats yet.
Being as the Passat is a little bit heavier, VW may screw with the gearing . . who knows? :confused:

We do know what the official EPA rating is for the Passat 6 MT. It is higher than the Jetta
Golfs because I think it is tuned better for F E account of the Ad Blue fluid.

Those EPA figures can be easily beaten as I have proven with my '10 DSG equiped JSW.
See my Fuelly below :p

:D

D

securityguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
Local dealer has a loaded TDI Passat, 33K sticker price.
That is true but they are NOT for sale. Every dealer in the US got 2 (one 2.5L SE and a TDI) for test drive purposes only.

cheezy

Veteran Member
TDI
99 NB, 96 B4V
Hey,
Wagons are back in style as I see Jetta TDI wagons all over the place out here. They need to look at their sales and realize that if they went a little bigger with a Passat wagon that they would actually sell. I hope that Subaru brings their outback over with the diesel...then I'd sadly switch branks for my next new car. :(
Ditto.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
2.5liters will be flogged and incentivized to death...their resale will be awful....4-5 dollars a gallon i dont see a decision really....get a cheap place to do your DSG oil change and get a diesel....you will be in a torquier car with great performance in the mountains and great mileage....project 3 -4 yrs down the road the 2.5liter will be gathering dust in the used car lots....the TDIs as they always have will be the HOT resale item....lees dollars overall more performance and fun....who cares about a little optilube...keep in garage and fill after you fill....its your money but I think that is a mistake.

securityguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
With all due respect...I believe he is mistaken. He appears to be a shop foreman at a VW dealership and may be unaware that these are for test drives only and not for sale.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
looks like a new fuel filter on the passat, anyone dig into the possible new HPFP?

Sappington

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Chevy Volt now -- sold '03 Jetta Wagon :-(
Hey,
Wagons are back in style as I see Jetta TDI wagons all over the place out here. They need to look at their sales and realize that if they went a little bigger with a Passat wagon that they would actually sell. I hope that Subaru brings their outback over with the diesel...then I'd sadly switch branks for my next new car. :(
Ditto here, too. I guess VW thinks the JSW and Passat Wagon are too similar to justify offering both. With as many Volvo and Subaru wagons I see around, though, I'd think they be well served to offer it. The Passat Wagons may be able to compete with minivans, too, since gas is going so high. Offer a diesel Rhoutan that goes into the 30 mpg range, and that would be stellar as well.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
I'm curious how a "new" Passat TDI will fit in the current lineup. My B4 has a shorter wheelbase than the new Jetta. So will the "new" Passat be longer than the "new" Jetta? Also I pray VW offers a manual tramsmission in it and doesn't relegate the best TDI ever made to forever slushbox since '97.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Also I pray VW offers a manual tramsmission in it and doesn't relegate the best TDI ever made to forever slushbox since '97.
Best TDI (engine) ever made is subjective but my all-round favourite would probably be the V8 TDI and the all-aluminum R5. I lament that both are slated to disappear. The aluminum, gear-driven R5 with modern injection system, 4V head, 2-stage turbocharging and further weight optimization would have been a truly great engine.

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
Yes, a couple of outlets picked the story up (don't have links on hand, sorry). To be replaced by 2-stage turbocharged V6 TDI with 313 PS (current V8 has 326; V10 had the same ~310 and is definitely already dead). The V12 TDI also does not have a future home.

Judging by the success of the gasoline R5 T-FSI engines powering the TT-RS, (R)S3 and Quattro Coupe concept, I still think there would be a place for an R5 TDI to bridge the R4 and V6.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
Apparently Volkswagen doesn't think so. T5 lost the R5, now the Crafter...
Audi should have a R5 TDI. That's how the whole TDI thing started IIRC, and the sound of Volvo's modern diesel I5s is really interesting without being annoying.

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
VW hasn't had the history of making the best decisions, has it? :D Later!

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Current V8 actually has 345... wonder if there'd be a 2-stage V8 for something fun like an R8 diesel, shared with something like an S8 or RS6 diesel?

The V12 not having a home doesn't surprise me, though.

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11
Ditto here, too. I guess VW thinks the JSW and Passat Wagon are too similar to justify offering both.
Bring back the Lupo 3L.

That's different!

I wonder when we'll get a subforum for the new Passat in the model-specific discussion area...

securityguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
Figure around mid to late September since I was told that's when they'll be shipping. I am in Wisconsin on business and there is a VW dealer right down the street. Stopped in and took the TDI for a drive...WOW!!! That is one nice car!

The DSG was silky smooth and the power was more than I expected. The wife needs to drive this car and maybe I'll be the one to start the threads:D

I just wish it had the back-up camera:( Dealer stated that it would have had it if it wasn't for the quake in Japan as that's where the cameras come from. What a bummer but I don't plan on waiting until 2013 to get a backup camera;)

99Jet

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
My dealer told me that my build date is the last week of August and that I can expect it ~2 weeks later.

The reviews look promising and I look forward to getting it!

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
Now You're Talking!

Figure around mid to late September since I was told that's when they'll be shipping.
I am in Wisconsin on business and there is a VW dealer right down the street.
Stopped in and took the TDI for a drive . . . WOW!!! That is one nice car!

The DSG was silky smooth and the power was more than I expected.
The wife needs to drive this car and maybe I'll be the one to start the threads:D

I just wish it had the back-up camera :( Dealer stated that it would have had it if it wasn't
for the quake in Japan as that's where the cameras come from.
What a bummer but I don't plan on waiting until 2013 to get a backup camera;)
:)

I just knew that's the way it would be.

Last night at our regular Monday night GTG in Ontario California, one of our group is a salesman
at a nearby dealership and he brought the new demo Passat 2.5 SE with him.
A very nice car to be sure. Last Monday, a week ago, he brought a loaded TDI ($33K SEL)
but I was not yet strong enough after my OHS to make the 100 mile RT to Ontario, so I
missed that opportunity, but I heard from everyone last night.
The salesman said he got over 43 MPG coming up to the gathering.
Everyone got to test-drive it and no one had anything bad to say about the TDI.
The TDI was a fully loaded SEL with about as high a sticker as can be.
I knew I should have forced myself to attend last week. Always a day late and a dollar short!

Recall I said that the DSGs had changed. I think your wife is going to love it, and I predict
that VW is going to sell many of them. What's not to like? :confused:
I cannot believe the legroom in the back seat. Now, IF only they would do a wagon!
Oh well . . . maybe before long? I certainly hope so! :p

:D

D

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11
I test drove the gas SE and the diesel SEL:

Highlights:

Very solid feel in general, including when driving. Build quality seems to be high. Soaks up bumps well, particularly with the 17" wheels.

Road noise is well dampened. I was expecting more, but I haven't been test-driving luxury vehicles which may be quieter.

Gasoline model's engine is quite quiet. I was expecting a "coarse unrefined" sound since that's what CR said about the 2.5 5 cylinder before. I'm not sure what they mean when they say it's coarse or unrefined, frankly.

The gasoline engine with automatic transmission offers a smooth ride.

The DSG shifts smoothly. There was no annoying lurching feeling when slowing down and upshifts were especially seamless. The experience is not as smooth as the gas/automatic, but it's certainly acceptable.

There is more than enough legroom for the driver, I'd say. Lots of it. Good legroom in the back.

Cupholders in the back are a nice touch.

The vinyl seats were just as comfortable as the leather seats.

Dual climate controls seem like a nice idea. I like the digital temp indicators.

Lowlights:

Noisy air conditioning fans. They don't seem to be very efficient. They make a lot of noise versus the amount of air they move, and it will take a high setting to get air to the back seats when the car is hot. There are no rear vents, apparently.

Fender premium audio was unimpressive. The Golf/Tiguan Dynaudio is much much better.

18" wheels cause road imperfections/surface texture to be felt constantly. The 17" wheels on the SE didn't. However, the vehicle did seem to absorb impacts well.

Mandatory sunroof for DSG TDI models.

Headroom may be an issue for tall men (6'4"+) -- especially those with long torsos, and especially if they prefer to keep their seats mostly upright.

Minor quibbles:

The analog clock should be replaced with a digital LED clock. It seems low-rent.

The suede seat centers (inserts?) on the leather trim make the seats look worn.

The steering wheel controls aren't especially intuitive.

Wood accents don't really add to the interior. In fact, I prefer the plain aluminum.

The paint selection is underwhelming. I'd like an emerald green. How many versions of gray do we really need?

The front fascia isn't particularly suave. I think cars should have smoother lines.

Location of dash info readout is slightly distracting, since it's in the center, between the tach and the speedometer. For drivers of manuals, I think it would be better to have the tach and speedometer closer together.

Touch screen radio is somewhat annoying to deal with when driving. The track forward/backward buttons for the CD are small and seem slightly flimsy.

Gas vs. diesel:

Diesel engine is louder than the gasoline engine inside the car. Gasoline engine gets inferior mileage.

Gasoline model doesn't come with HPFP worries, but will depreciate faster.

---------

Overall, I don't think the extras over the SE trim are very compelling: KESSY wasn't as much of a bonus as I thought it would be, not interested in sunroof, Fender audio nothing special, leather seating not a significant improvement in comfort, wood accents I can do without, navigation is nice but not critical, and definitely prefer 17" wheels.

In short, I think the SE trim is the best value, whether it's in gas or TDI/manual. For those who want a sunroof or DSG, then, of course, move up an options level.

I am impressed with the Passat. I think it's a good value. I just wish it would be a bit more appealing on the outside. (Of course, I like the Lupo 3L's styling, so my taste is far from the typical aggressiveness of contemporary design.) The driving experience, though, is very good. I will recommend this car to others.

Things VW could do to make the car even better:

1. Smooth out the fascia/front and make it less aggressive so the car looks more luxurious. I know this is the opposite of current trends, but it's how I feel. I don't care for the angularity of the new Jetta and Passat.

2. Replace one of the grays with a metallic green.

3. Offer the TDI SE with DSG.

4. Replace Fender with Dynaudio (for next year's model).

5. Change the climate unit's fans to move more air with less noise. If possible, find a way to offer vents for the back seat.

6. Give buyers the option to replace the 18" wheels with 17" wheels at the dealership for the SEL trim.

7. Lose the analog clock and wood accents.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
The analog clock is supposed to give it a "more luxurious air"

It's just a clock and there should be one in the mfd display and probably the radio display. How many do we need?

Sappington

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Chevy Volt now -- sold '03 Jetta Wagon :-(
I had a dream last night that I was driving a Passat Wagon TDI around. I wonder what that means? :confused:

To get the message across, maybe people should start going into the dealerships, ask to test drive a Passat WAGON TDI, and when they say there aren't any, but you can drive the JSW or Passat sedan instead, simply say that's not what you're looking for and walk out.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I had a dream last night that I was driving a Passat Wagon TDI around. I wonder what that means? :confused:
1. Could be you may move to Europe in the near future?

2. You may find a 2004 - 05 Passat TDI wagon and experience the same amount of pain us current owners have?

3. It really was an old Dodge Durango and you had not stopped for fuel yet?

4. It really is a dream and it won't come true.:p