Oil and Air Filter Wars - Enter At Your Own risk!

TDI Believer

Responsible For Global Warming
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
Anyone who wants to argue about motor oil or air filters, do it here, and quit hijacking other threads. The topic is clearly labeled so the rest of us who have made up our minds anyway can ignore it.

S

SkyPup

Everybody else's air filters and motor oil sux, I have the best!

S

SkyPup

The illiteracy rate is so high that I think only around 1 out of 10 are capable of this strenous activity, besides, reading is one thing, understanding is a whole different animal.

Woof!

SoTxBill

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 passatdsg 10 jetdsg, 09 jetdsg, 2006 jetdsg, 2001Jet, 96passat, 86jet, 81 jet, 78pickup all vw diesel.
changing oil often is better than changing oil less often.. that way you dont have to worry as much about all the anal-lytical specs and soot loading and grunge factor.

Colonel Klink

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
car54,you're on the right track with the furnace filter, change it to an electrostatic furnace filter mounted to the grill and now yer talkin'. Faster ya go the more current it generates the better it filters. Unhook the MAF and run a wire from the filter to the ECU to avoid those pesky MAF failures..

valois

Banned

The following is a personal testimony of Mr. Randall Johnson, no compensation was given, nor undue duress applied for this recommendation, Mr. Johnson came forward under his own free will, he really believes in the product.

I used to use inferior oil stuff, until a Delvac desciple showed me that it was by far the best lubricant, I guess you can say, he opened my eyes. He also warned me of the dangers of using an aftermarket airfilter. Hallaleuha!

MaryP

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI, GLS, 5 speed
I've been on other forums where the moderators deleted insensitive words. So may I suggest that Fred just delete "Oil", "Air", "Filter", and "Laminar Flow" from this forum! Then we won't have to worry about offending anyone!

garrettp

Former Chip-Monk
TDI
2000 JEDI
MaryP, thanks for bringing that up. it seems at the last GTG at Hondo's a certain unkowledged individual thought it upon himself to razz me for his actual stupidity on this matter of laminar. so below is a pic of an article that i have just found in Road & Track that should somewhat help set the records straight, although, you can lead a horse to water but it is still as dumb as a mule

i also have another article from a car magazine that describes the air directly after the MAF screen as Laminar but i will be dang'd if i can actually find it, may have hit the recycle bin already
(call me a hippy
)

garrettp

Former Chip-Monk
TDI
2000 JEDI
glory hallelujah, sweet mother of pearl, i found the mother load. read and weep

When fluid flows smoothly without vortices or other turbulence, the flow is called LAMINAR. Typically when a fluid is flowing this way it flows in straight lines at a constant velovity. Water flowing smoothly and slowly from your faucet can show laminar flow. If the water hits a smooth surface, a circle of laminar flow results until the flow slows and becomes turbulent. Click the button below to see this.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">cllick here for a movie and more info

garrettp

Former Chip-Monk
TDI
2000 JEDI
[qoute]Water flowing smoothly and slowly from your faucet can show laminar flow.[/quote]

and this is EXACTLY what i said

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
The Best Lube oil
Yak fat.....rendered Yak fat...even better is synthetic rendered Yak fat 15W50
Made from synthetic Yaks

The Best Air Filter
An old high school gym sock held over the MAF inlet by a large rubber band

S

SkyPup

He speaketh mit ein forked tongue...

Wha'd he say?????

Oil's well that ends well......

LOL

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
SP, that pic of the Ric nevers fails...it is too funny ! Always worth many hearty chuckles.

jjvincent

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2K, Green
Let me know next time when it is Synthetic Yak Season
-Synthetic Yak Season!
-Wabbit Season!
-Synthetic Yak Season!
-Wabbit Season!
-Synthetic Yak Season!
-Wabbit Season!
-Wabbit Season!
-Synthetic Yak Season!

garrettp

Former Chip-Monk
TDI
2000 JEDI
Originally posted by jjvincent:
Let me know next time when it is Synthetic Yak Season
-Synthetic Yak Season!
-Wabbit Season!
-Synthetic Yak Season!
-Wabbit Season!
-Synthetic Yak Season!
-Wabbit Season!
-Wabbit Season!
-Synthetic Yak Season!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">my sisten bitten by a Yak once

BruhahaX

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW
Who needs oil or air filters anyway...they are just marketing techniques used to get us into stealerships and parts stores to buy crap we dont need. Oil, hah! Air filters, worthless! Save your money, go out and buy yourself a good case of Beer, now thats stuff you really need.

PaulB

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE M6
Herm, you stole my gym sock idea, you lout! But a rubber band is low-class, at least use a hose clamp like I do!

tdipoet

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'11 Jetta TDI
i lubricate my car with New Coke. i use a tube of toilet paper with a plastic bag around it as a filter.

[ June 12, 2002, 12:03: Message edited by: tdipoet ]

[the unit]

Veteran Member
TDI
sold - 2002 Jetta TDI
Originally posted by tdipoet:
i lubricate my car with New Coke. i use a tube of toilet paper with a plastic bag around it as a filter.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What are you, crazy? Everyone knows Crystal Pepsi has a far better additive package and soot dispersal properties. Are you trying to wear out your cams?!?

As for your filter, I've found Charmin with Aloe works best in my toilet paper/plastic bag hybrid filter. The Aloe keeps the moving parts from chafing!

-Rob

Pressurized

TDI
Golf, 2000, Silver
Laminar??? I've been a professional aerodynamic engineer for over 16 years and can say that laminar flow is very infrequent anywhere on or inside a moving ground vehicle. Maybe for a short distance after the aircleaner. Maybe in a few square inches of surface area on the leading edge of the hood or in some cases the air intake. Could happen in the AC system ducting - maybe.

Don't confuse attached turbulent flow for laminar flow. Laminar flow happens in slow speed viscous flows and on wings of very smooth and specially designed airfoils on sailplanes and P51 Mustangs (airspeeds usually over our lowly 70 mph and not operating in nasty turbulent ground conditions).

Unknowing and hyper journalists have assigned "laminar flow" as the holy grail of aerodynamics since WWII. The reality is that it just ain't so for automobiles.

Boundless

BANNED
Originally posted by Pressurized:
Laminar??? I've been a professional aerodynamic engineer for over 16 years and can say that laminar flow is very infrequent anywhere on or inside a moving ground vehicle. Maybe for a short distance after the aircleaner. Maybe in a few square inches of surface area on the leading edge of the hood or in some cases the air intake. Could happen in the AC system ducting - maybe.

Don't confuse attached turbulent flow for laminar flow. Laminar flow happens in slow speed viscous flows and on wings of very smooth and specially designed airfoils on sailplanes and P51 Mustangs (airspeeds usually over our lowly 70 mph and not operating in nasty turbulent ground conditions).

Unknowing and hyper journalists have assigned "laminar flow" as the holy grail of aerodynamics since WWII. The reality is that it just ain't so for automobiles.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hello Pressurized,

There are folks around here that think that the flow through the induction path is laminar.

I don't think there is a section long enough and straight enough to allow true laminar to fully set up.

And then there is the velocity profile flattener in front of the MAF to consider.