BorgWarner develops new turbocharger to help reduce diesel emissions

buckeye96

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta ?
http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/06/23/borgwarner-develops-new-turbocharger-to-help-reduce-diesel-emiss/

BorgWarner develops new turbocharger to help reduce diesel emissions

BorgWarner has developed a new turbocharger design that it claims will help reduce diesel emissions. One of the methods used to reduce emissions of nitrogen oxides from diesel engines is to recirculate some of the exhaust gases (EGR). Low pressure EGR helps to reduce the combustion temperatures and thus the production of NOx. However injecting the exhaust gases upstream of the turbo compressor has caused problems in the past as the exhaust particles and high temperature of the exhaust have caused metal fatigue. Downstream injection requires higher pressures. BorgWarner has developed new materials and coatings that can better withstand low pressure EGR and resist particulate deposits on the compressor wheels. Two European manufacturers are expected to introduce the new turbochargers on their U.S. diesel engines in 2008. Volkswagen, BMW and Mercedes Benz are introducing new clean diesels this year.

oscarmv

TDI
2005.5 Jetta TDI
drwho said:
This is all nice and everything, but I want to hear more about improving economy on diesels. Seems like a lot of sacrifices have been made in economy on some diesels for all of these new emission devices. The 6.4 Ford Powerstroke and the 6.7 Cummins diesel both have less fuel economy than the previous engines due to the extra emissions. That sophisticated exhaust on the new Jetta is probably why the economy ratings are so dismal.
Note that the dismal economy ratings for the new clean TDI are about the same as the dismal economy ratings for the previous 1.9 TDI with the new EPA testing procedure.

Still, it's nice to see with all the people sounding the alarm bells that gasoline engines will soon be the bees knees that the oil burner engineers don't stand still.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
buckeye96 said:
...However injecting the exhaust gases upstream of the turbo compressor has caused problems in the past as the exhaust particles and high temperature of the exhaust have caused metal fatigue.
Their remedy to high particulates and high temperature is different turbocharger materials? Why aren't the causes being addressed instead of the resultant effect?
Seems simple enough to me, reduce the particulate and reduce the temperature by using Biodiesel.

TurbinePower

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Lug_Nut said:
Their remedy to high particulates and high temperature is different turbocharger materials? Why aren't the causes being addressed instead of the resultant effect?
Seems simple enough to me, reduce the particulate and reduce the temperature by using Biodiesel.
It's probably in conjunction with DPF technology for the particulate handling capacity. Combine some materials that can handle a bit more abrasive particles than standard filtered air has with the ability to withstand higher heats... I can see it.

Still with you on that last part, though.

KILOFINAL

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI. Shadow Blue/Tan leather 5speed with PPQ
dismal economy ratings on the 1.9L TDI??????

Hello McFly???.......I'm getting 1300KM on a tank of diesel.

JamesBa

Veteran Member
TDI
GOLF '02
controlled auto-ignition

EddyKilowatt said:
Um, controlled auto-ignition... is that a variation on the glow plug concept?
Hey, if it works better, that's all I care about.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
I don't get it. Why not take egr supply from downstream of DPF? Then no particulates go into turbo, intercooler and engine. If heat is a problem, run it through a cooler before mixing with inlet air.

This must be for non-DPF engines, which does not apply to VW's. -Eric

linewarbr

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE DSG (bought back Feb 2017)
micky0604 said:
Great!--------------------------------------------------------This is really fantastic.I have never seen such a good thing.You may be a genius.I am honoured to appreciate the excellent work.Feel very excited.warcraft power leveling warcraft power leveling world of warcraft power leveling wow power leveling wow powerleveling---------------------------------------------------------You will make a brilliant achievement!!!

What in the heck is all of this foolishness here?