NB buyback

fields

Veteran Member
Have any of you had a buyback? My dealer is currently looking for a 2002 NB to replace my 2ooo NB. I have 15000 miles on the car, and kinda wondering what to expect.

richard

SteveS

Veteran Member
TDI
00 NB automatic TDI
"buyback?" How is that different than a trade in? Was this a lease? In most cases TDIs make no sense to lease, since the payoff for the extra $1,500 for TDI takes longer to realize than the short term lease. Still, I think I must have missed something big. Clue me in.
I had a '99 gasser NB which I traded for an 00 TDI NB. That was before there were many used NBs, so I got a great deal on the trade. However, now there are plenty of used New Beetles, so I think the prices will take a big hit on trade.
But only 15,000 miles and you are trading? Was something terribly bad? I must have missed something big. Clue me in.

I own 2 TDIs, an 'OO NB TDI and an '01 NB TDI. Both are about the same, except the 01 has a much larger front grill opening for more air flow to IC and other needs. Other than that and mirrors, they seem the same. I would not see any advantage to trading, assuming you didn't get a lemmon. Am I missing something, as usual?

tjl

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fields:
Have any of you had a buyback? My dealer is currently looking for a 2002 NB to replace my 2ooo NB. I have 15000 miles on the car, and kinda wondering what to expect.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is this a lemon-type buyback, or something else?

Wouldn't the expected result of a lemon-type buyback be either they refund your money or replace the car with a new, similarly featured car?

If you are just trying to trade in your 2000 New Beetle for a 2002 New Beetle, why would you want to do that?

fields

Veteran Member
Lemon type of problem. They want to give me "trade assistance" instead of the lemon law here in Texas.

richard

[ September 19, 2001: Message edited by: fields ]

tdibugman

Veteran Member
They will probably offer you the following:
Full sticker back, less some outrageous per-mile charge. thats the so-called trade-assistance.
I would stand for a swap, with no "trade-assistance", if thats the new phrase.

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
I had the dealer buy back my lemon TDI back in June 1999. They first wanted to trade in for a different car and I told them no. I want the money back. I did show them the lemon law and all that first. They refused to "follow it" until I mentioned that I was going to call the BBB and use the statements as evidience. How quick their attitude change!

They paid for the car in full minus mileage. I forgot what it was, 10 cent per mile?

JeffT

Veteran Member
A fair charge for milage is reasonable, after all, you did use the car for that period of travel. That way if you only get very little use out of a defective car you'll get charged less and if you use it a lot but still have problems you'll pay more.

[the unit]

Veteran Member
TDI
sold - 2002 Jetta TDI
I had a lemon too, my 2k1 Jetta 1.8t. Since nothing was ever found mechanically wrong on the car, they wouldn't buy it back. What they ended up doing was subsidizing my trade-in, meaning they gave me some money to put down on a new car. Trade-assistance is what they call it, and to me it's a bit of a joke. They get to resell my car to some poor bastard without informing him of the car's history. They also get to resell it without branding the title as a "Manufacturer buyback", a stigma which would greatly reduce the value of the car. I think it's wrong, but I got rid of the car because I know it was unsafe. I wish whoever gets it better luck than I had. Watch out for vin 3vwsc29m61m009721. (i know it by heart)

-Rob

fields

Veteran Member
Optional FLavoR

How much did they give you for the trade asistance? How much did you habe to spend out of your own pocket? If you want to, you can email me. It would be a big help.

richard

fields

Veteran Member
Well, it is done. My new NB is on the ship, and slowly geting here. Thanks for the input, everybody(especially OpTionaL FLavoR).

richard

weasel

Deactivated Member Account
TDI
None.
OpTionaL FLavoR: Get a carfax report on your old car or go to the police with the vin #. You can contact the new owner and alert him to the problems you had. You want to see the look on the dealers face the next day ??

[ September 26, 2001: Message edited by: weasel ]