2000 Jetta TDI for $1,500

rosskuhns

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf
yep, you read that right; saw this on a motorcycle forum and told the owner I'd put it up here for him as it's too far for me to get worked on.

*no affiliation, yada, yada. Just trying to pass on what could be a good deal
**dying auto tranny; who wants to do a 5 speed swap?

Here's from his post:
This 2000 diesel Jetta has 140,000 miles. It has an automatic transmission that is about to fail. If you drive it you will not feel it, but trust me , it is about to go. I had a new trans under warranty with 50,000 miles and then paid $2,500 for a new one at 100,000 miles. Now it has 140,000 and makes a noise every once in a while that is the death rumble. It still gets 40 mpg around town and 50mpg on the highway. The body is in good shape except for a dent over the drivers side rear wheel well. It is blue in color a with sunroof and aluminum vw wheels. The interior tan cloth upholstery is well worn. If you are not a mechanic, this is not the car for you. These transmissions are expensive........ The good...... 40 mpg's. The bad..... trunk will not open with the key, you have to fold down the rear seats to use the trunk. The drivers door will not open with the key, so you cannot lock the car. Check engine light is on, code is for glow plug relay, changed it ....light stays on. (Never has trouble starting glow plugs work fine). Airbag light on. Brake pad lining light on, I put pads on that dont have the sensor. I will take $1,500, no less. Will trade, street legal dirt bike, 4 wheel drive quad etc. The car is currently in storage in Bayonne, NJ.
-------------------------

You can reach the owner, Jim via email at nypdscuba AT gmail.com

He did send me pictures and the body looks decent; interior is very dirty and there is a pretty good dent in the rear c pillar area, behind the rear door.All the problems sound solvable. Oh yeah, it's a dark blue with the light tan interior.

Ross

442JOHN

TDI
soon 1999.5 Jetts TDI
Any chance of getting pictures? Why would he go through 2 transmissions so soon? Think that it is not the transmission?

Last edited:

rosskuhns

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf
email him, he has pictures. I'm not where I can post.

Yes, sounds like it was a rebuilt 01M from a shop or something, and it had to be warrantied. Those trannys are bad news. Only one that lasts is the factory rebuilt, and they seem to go out 80-120Kish.

draco76

Veteran Member
TDI
99 NB(sold), 03 NB(sold), 100% bug free :) 99.5 4d Golf, 2004 GL Wagon
I'm like 2nd in line, 1st guy will probably take it though :(

Jo1175

TDI
1998 Jetta TDI GL, 2003 Jetta TDI 5SP GLS, Jeep TJ TDI Conversion 2004 TDI Bew... In progress
I seen it....Car is real rough....interior is very bad....1/4 needs work....besides trans....abs, srs, check engine had 5 codes....there are def turbo issues ....car smokes very bad...I feel is parts only. Tires are almost bald... I would of bought it for 1500 if the engine was 100%....hes also not flexible on the price either...it's worth it if someone needs a block....but he should be lil negotiable ...I was surprised

a32e5s7

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I"ve called a while back and left a message.....never got a call back...thought I'd buy this for parts...probably not a good person to deal with anyways.

rosskuhns

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf
ah, didn't hear about the smoke, well, buyer beware - does still sound like a deal for a parts car or a home mechanic or shop with a parts car around.

DIESELMAN3500

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI,2006 vw tdi jetta,2003 vw beetle,2003 vw golf
looks like draco is going to look at it. dieselman, as I said, email the guy, how hard is that?
did email the guy and it wasnt that hard actually thanks for your wonderful tip btw :rolleyes: fast response though and said he had people going to look at it

Captain Morgan

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
did anyone hear more about this? I found the forum it was originally listed on but that died out earlier than this thread....

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White
you get for you paid for. So if you are getting TDI for $1,500, don't expect to get a new car.