Blower motor in 2006 Jetta stopped working

xxcsu

TDI
2006 TDI Jetta Package 2 ; 2013 Passat Tdi SEL ; 2012 Golf TDI
Anyone know where is the relay located ? part number maybe :)
I dont think the problem is with the resistor pack ,the fan not working on any speed...all fuse is ok... any idea ?
Thank You!

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
No relays. Fan is CanBus (computer) controlled.

Step one would be to check fuses. There are HVAC fuses at multiple locations. (Bentleys)

Something I have done on older cars is to access the blower, turn the ignition and fan to on and spin the blower with a pencil. if the blower is shot it will sometimes work this way enough to tell you it is getting power.

While you are at the motor, undue the connector, turn the ignition and blower switch on and check for voltage.

After that it is time to hook up a VCDS and pull DTCs.

If you have to replace the blower or the resistor pack, I would replace both.

xxcsu

TDI
I just checked with ross-tech vcds, i got 1 fault code:

Thursday,10,February,2011,15:40:43:21084
VCDS Version: Release 10.6.3
Address 08: Auto HVAC Labels: 1K0-907-044.lbl
Control Module Part Number: 1K0 907 044 BE
Component and/or Version: ClimatronicPQ35 090 0808
Software Coding:
Work Shop Code: WSC 00000 000 00000
VCID: 6BDE0BA93303
1 Fault Found:
01273 - Fresh Air Blower (V2)
014 - Defective - Intermittent

xxcsu

TDI
connected the blower motor directly to 12v , and then its working fine , blowing air , like crazy... checked all fuse... everythink looks ok... have to be a relay somewhere.. my ac not kicking out , when i set the temp to low... Maybe ac relay ? Any idea ? i checked the enginn area on the driver side , i found only one relay (part no: 7M0 951 253A) , under a black cover with some fuse's... Where is the ac relay located ?

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Per Bentley's there is no relay for A/C.

Just checked my car, and with the engine running, if you have the fan on any position except fan speed 0, and turn on the A/C, the A/C comes on. If you turn the fan to 0, the A/C light goes off. If the controller never sees anything except 0, the A/C will not even turn on the A/C light.

Given that you can make the fan work by jumping it directly, I would assume that the blower and resistor pack are not the problem.

For what ever reason, the CanBus "on"command from the switch is not seen by the controller. It would explain why the A/C doesn't work either. That one could be a bad switch or wiring. The other less likely senario could be that the fan is commanded on but there is a wiring or fuse issue between the fan and the controller.

Something to try with VCDS is something called a readiness test and also I have seen references to guided fault finding, or something like that. When I get a chance, I will fire up my CD version of Bentleys and study a little closer.

Do you have Climatic or Climatronic? What is your build date?

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Just looked at the CD Bentleys and from the DTC you pulled you probably have Climatronic.

If that is correct, putting 12V directly to the motor was a bad idea. You may have blown out the J126 Blower motor controller that is integral with the blower motor.

Something about these CanBus cars is you never should put power straight to something unless you know EXACTLY what that power is doing. 12V on the CanBus, for example, can brick some expensive components very quickly.

I did find some Guided Fault Finding stuff on the Bentleys CD that may help to pinpoint exactly were the problem is....................

Last edited:

xxcsu

TDI
YEAH ! Its working Again !!! No problem at all :)
There is what i've done :
  1. - Checked all fuse - all ok
  2. - Pulled a code with VCDS : 01273 - Fresh Air Blower (V2) Deffective
  3. - Disconnected the battery - Straight 12v to blower motor - result : motor working
  4. - Left the blower motor disconected , reconnected the battery , run VCDS again , i got a different code , i can not recall exactly what was that , but something like : 01273 - Fresh Air Blower (V2) Failure
  5. - Then i cleared the codes with VCDS
  6. - Disconnected and reconnected the battery
  7. - Reconnected the blower power wires
  8. - Started the engine , and turned on my CLIMATRONIC , blower started blowing air!!!
  9. - Run VCDS again , no more Fault Codes :):):)
Also... there is a few relay is in our TDI :) They are located below the instrument cluster on the driver side ,above the on board power supply control module... and there is a relay carrier of on board power supply control module , on the left under the instrument cluster !

Ol'Rattler ! Thank You for the information ...

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Great you got it going again. The car does have relays, just none for the HVAC. Does the A/C work now?

I have heard of folks with controller issues disconnecting the battery cables and touching them together to fix a problem. Sounds like your fix kinda did the same thing.

Thanks for the opportunity to further my limited troubleshooting skills a bit.

Crosley

TDI
Sold
I bought my 2006 Jetta in Sept 2005... in December 2005 the blower fan stopped working.

The dealer replaced an item they called a relay that took 4 days to come into AZ

1KO-951-253-A RELAY

Listed RELAY as # 75X tested faulty

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I bought my 2006 Jetta in Sept 2005... in December 2005 the blower fan stopped working.

The dealer replaced an item they called a relay that took 4 days to come into AZ

1KO-951-253-A RELAY

Listed RELAY as # 75X tested faulty
When I was in Bentleys, I did see reference to a terminal 15 and a terminal 30 relay. Do you know what your replacement relay actually controls? With XXCSUs problem I kinda ruled out relays because I couldn't quite follow the current flow through any particular relay to the end user. XXCSUs question about relays I didn't really answer very well................

ajn007

TDI
06 Jetta TDI BRM
a potential fix

Ok I solved the issue state above. After reading in multiple spots I was able to diagnose and fix the issue.
First the symptoms:
Heater fan blower does not work period. If your fan spins but not on all speeds check the resistor really easy to remove and carried at most part stores. Check the voltage at the fan plug, if its less than 12 you've probably got this issue or a blown fuse. Check fuse 40 (30amp) for power on top and bottom side of the fuse. If there is no power here or fuse 41 and 42 you've got most likely a bad relay. Another symptom is your window washer will also not work as this is on fuse 41.
What is causing this is a failing 460 relay. Part #1K0951253A. Download the following PDF and go to page http://home.comcast.net/~jeri534/fuses.pdf and go to page 15 and the relay that is in bad is B9. Simply swap b1 into b9 and your fan turns back on this is your problem. If your other 460 relay is bad the car won't run and will strand you. I replaced both for under $20 to stop that scenario from occurring.
Getting at the relay panel is described nowhere. You get to the relay panel by do the following:
Remove 2 T-20 screws in the plastic plate above the Peddles. Remove the plug to the light on the top part of the panel, don't forget to first free the red lock on the back part of the plug. Then use a flathead screw drive to free the clips on the 16 pin purple port. the plastic plate is now free to get the heck out of the way.
Now look straight up to the left of the steering wheel and you'll see the relay panel. You'll need to use a screw drive to remove relay B4[circled in blue in the pic] as arrow shape elongated piece of plastic will stop the panel from coming down [point at in blue in pic]. There are two push clips on each side just behind the wire connectors [look for green arrows for location. The pannel will fall and will need aided to completely come down. Moderate force down. Each 460 relay (black with this number on it circled in read) have clips holding it in, free with flat head. In addition, if you look at the fuse box under your hood you might find what I found. [/IMG] https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByKLimmNinFvTU9TQUpkZHc0cTQ/view?usp=sharing
The 100 amp that feeds the power to the realy was corroded. See second pic. The wire that feeds the power is under the blue 100 and you'll noticed the green corrosion. Put some corrosion remover to stop power supply issues going forward.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByKLimmNinFvb2lDeUY4aDhMWkU/view?usp=sharing

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
i'm having similar issues on an 09 JSW. The fan motor not working goes hand in hand, every single time, with the rear wiper not working. So far, I've been able to turn off the ignition and restart in a couple of seconds and all work well. With temps due to get to about -20°C this weekend, I think I'll replace that relay, inspect and probably maintain the connectors,and breathe a warm sigh of relief that I've averted a catastrophe for a morning commute.

In related issues, the ice in my HVAC fan motor sometimes squeaks so bad I can hardly stand it. Is a new fan/motor unit required, or can I just replace bearings and be good with it? TIA.

pinaster

TDI
caddy life DSG 1.9 PD
same problem here, this morning it happened for first time:
no windshield washer, no rear wiper, no cabin air blower, all togheter.

after a brief search i found this thread: geat TDIclub!

so i need to check for relay 460 (and/or fuse 40,41,42) but i don't well understand where is exactly mounted the relay, from picture i have seen it semms to me under driver side.
waiting for someone to help.

pinaster

TDI
caddy life DSG 1.9 PD
problem fixed

It was relay 460! now everything works. 12,50 € and 15 minutes for dismount and mount the panel. thank you TDIclub.

freakmike3

TDI
Jetta 09
Fixed as well!

This site has again saved me $100s... $18 part and a little sweat while under the dash. Thanks everyone!

CharlyTuna

TDI
2008 Jetta
Thank you ajn007

I was able to follow the instructions from ajn007 above. The photo was a huge help. 460 relay fixed the issue.
Thank you ajn007 for your terrific post.
(Keywords: Volkswagen blower motor not working, 12V receptacle not working, window washer motor not working)

Fiber

TDI
08 Jetta 2.5
Thank You

I have to say this post saved me several 100's of dollars.
Thank you all to the thread starter and all those who also shared some insight

ExTDI-Guy

TDI
2014 Jetta JSW
2014 Jetta JSW Blower Stopped

YEAH ! Its working Again !!! No problem at all :)
There is what i've done :
  1. - Checked all fuse - all ok
  2. - Pulled a code with VCDS : 01273 - Fresh Air Blower (V2) Deffective
  3. - Disconnected the battery - Straight 12v to blower motor - result : motor working
  4. - Left the blower motor disconected , reconnected the battery , run VCDS again , i got a different code , i can not recall exactly what was that , but something like : 01273 - Fresh Air Blower (V2) Failure
  5. - Then i cleared the codes with VCDS
  6. - Disconnected and reconnected the battery
  7. - Reconnected the blower power wires
  8. - Started the engine , and turned on my CLIMATRONIC , blower started blowing air!!!
  9. - Run VCDS again , no more Fault Codes :):):)
Also... there is a few relay is in our TDI :) They are located below the instrument cluster on the driver side ,above the on board power supply control module... and there is a relay carrier of on board power supply control module , on the left under the instrument cluster !

Ol'Rattler ! Thank You for the information ...
Symptom - No Fan on any setting, but very faint noise from behind the control switch.
After reading XXCSU's post - I started at the Motor Resistor Thermal Fuse. Just pop it out and measure resistance of the fuse (should be zero for a good fuse).
Next, pulled the electrical connector from the motor and found 12vdc while rotating the fan switch. Make sure ignition is on. (tip: power outlets are handy for a reliable ground).
Pulled the fan/motor, found the fan spins, but slow. Connected fan to a 12vdc supply ( battery charger), and it spun. Hmmmm. now everything 'works'.
squirt a little bit of silicone spray onto the motor shaft on the fan end.
Plugged it back in and tested before wrestling the fan back into place.
30 minute job and no replacement parts.
(In a couple months, I'll be TDI-free when VW buys it back)

kpiazzisi

TDI
jetta 2006
I was really optimistic after finding your post. My daughter has the exact same symptoms you described, so I went ahead and order the part on ebay. They sent me the wrong part. The part they sent is relay 449. It's the exact same part number without the "A" at the end. Since we had it apart I decided to swap relay "B1" and "B9" as you suggested, and still no fan blower. I then checked the fuses and found something strange. First of all her owner manual that came with the car put the Fan fuse as a 40 amp fuse in location 22. Slot 23 is vacant and slot 24 is the 15 amp cigarette lighter. The car is from Canada and we have ran into other strange difference is the past.
The other stange thing is that the top of both of the fuses mentioned only have 3.5 volts on the top of the fuse. The other fuses in the box have 12 volts. I made a jumper to bring 12 volts to the Fan fuse and the fan turned on, but no cold air. There maybe multiple problems, who knows. Do you have any idea why the fuses in that row on the fuse block ( location 22 and 24) have 3.5 volts instead of the 12 volts? what would cause this?

dandywriter

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Wagon 6M
@kpiazzisi:
Mine is a Canadian 2006 TDI with Climatic. My manual says
22 Fan (40)
23 Front Power Windows (30)
24 Cigarette Lighter (25)
If it was me, I'd replace the Fan fuse. For the voltage question: have you cleaned the grounds on your car? A weak point on 2006s. From an old post:
Grounds:
"The main ones
- Under the wiper arm / cover in the cowl area
- Under the air box on the left front frame rail behind the headlight
- The one next to the battery
- One more on the passenger frame rail behind the headlight

I usually wire brush clean all surfaces then spray with a liberal coating of Dexoit."

If you have climatronic, you might want to re-read post 6 in this thread about canbus and the perils of making 12v jumpers.

There is also a known problem with the fan blower resistors. See thread http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=375202 . The underlying cause is the fan motor, which blows the fuse, or the resistor. If you pull the fan motor (not hard to do, lots of good how-tos here), and clean and lube it, the problem probably won't recur (for a while) once the fuse or resistor is replaced. You could also replace the motor, but a few drops of oil and a half hour works for me. I relube the fan motor every 18 months - it's a poor design, motor before the filter, so it gets dirty. Which reminds me, I'm due to do it right about now. Off to the passenger footwell...

Last edited:

SmokeSkiCA

TDI
2006 VW Jetta
2006 TDI with CLIMATIC manual A/C controls
Problem:
The initial problem was the A/C would only work on the highest setting (4), but soon after the A/C stopped blowing all together. After reading a few posts, I initially thought the resistor was at fault, however it has been replaced and did not resolve the issue.
Troubleshooting:
I've gone through all the suggested steps above with the exception of cleaning vehicle grounds. The multimeter shows good 12v power at the blower motor harness and the blower motor actuates when connected directly to 12v power. I swapped the relays under the dash and they do not appear to be defective, as the engine starts fine.
I do not have access to a VCDS reader, any other thoughts on what may be causing this problem?

gandras

TDI
2005 jetta
Similar situation: blower stoped working, after that it would once in a while would start. After that completely stoped. Checked the fuses, got even a new heating cooling controller per mechanic recomendatio: no change. Pulled out the blower motor, and here starts even more interesting: part #1k1820015c with L shaped 4 pins is discontinued and replaced with #1k1820015L" which has only to pin connector. What to do now?!

fitzgr

TDI
2007 Jetta Wolfsburg
Blower Motor and washer pump fix - replace Relay #460

Vehicle: 2007 VW Jetta Wolfsburg 2.5
Problem: the blower motor stopped working (dead, vent fan not working at any speed) and the windshield washer pump was not pumping (dead, no pumping noise, no spray)
Fix: replaced Relay #460 on the relay panel located underneath the driver side dash. My vehicle had 2 Relay #460s on the relay panel, replacing the one on the right side of panel fixed my problem.