View Single Post
Old March 10th, 2020, 06:37   #34
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
I wouldn't underestimate the industrial might of this country/continent when we really focus our energy. We could be producing 100% EV's in just a few years if we felt the need urgently enough.
While I agree that we should never underestimate the might of the North American work force, the urgency is not there. With the Saudis and Russians fighting to see who can sell their oil the cheapest today, gas and diesel pump prices are going to continue to fall. That means that anyone on the fence about which car to buy today will go with an ICE. Unless we are willing to shift all resources to the producing e-cars and the infrasturcture necessary to support them, much like the WWII effort, we won't see a dramatic shift away from ICE. It will be very gradual until someone comes up with a decent Corolla-Accord sized alternative that is no more than 5% higher to purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuje View Post
I often wonder, if this were somehow to happen...is there enough cobalt and whatever other minerals needed to produce that many lithium batteries? As it is, battery supply often seems to be the talked-about bottleneck in EV production, if not in actual physical supply, then certainly in a cost-efficient sense.
I don't think it's the amount of cobalt available in the earth, more about where it's coming from and how it's mined.

Page generated in 0.06697 seconds with 8 queries
[Output: 16.52 Kb. compressed to 14.93 Kb. by saving 1.59 Kb. (9.62%)]