10th Annual Detroit Auto Show GTG - NAIAS 2017 - January 14 (aka WINTERFEST)

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Never have attended the Detroit Auto Show. But have attended the Los Angeles Auto show any number of times. Does anyone know if the 2 shows are THAT much different?

Could be fun to fly into for a few days, just to mark the Detroit Auto Show off my bucket list.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I've not been to the LA show. For several years I seem to end up out there the week before or after. But I've been to NY a bunch of times. And Boston, which is hardly worth mentioning.

Detroit is a very good show. I think LA is trying to be as good as Detroit but I don't know if it's been successful. And we're a fun crowd.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
I'm in. Room booked:)

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
I've not been to the LA show. For several years I seem to end up out there the week before or after. But I've been to NY a bunch of times. And Boston, which is hardly worth mentioning.

Detroit is a very good show. I think LA is trying to be as good as Detroit but I don't know if it's been successful. And we're a fun crowd.
LA is a good show, I went there for 2010 or 11 IIRC. You definitely get a lot more of the high end automakers to show up, as LA alone is the biggest market for such cars. It's also a lot more spread out than Detroit. A fair bit more walking required!

Neat show to go to for different reasons, especially if you have an appreciation for high end, high-tech cars.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
We're up to 15 people for the show so far and we have 18 days left before our room block expires. If you're interested in a hotel room for this event, there is a link in the first post that allows you to book at a discounted rate.

Also, please check the first post to see if you've submitted an attendance survey. If so, your name will have a ✓ next to it. If not, please submit a survey at your earliest convenience. :)

MonsterDog

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Lawson,
I'm not going this year. I see my name on the list, you might want to fix. Although I do find it curious that I have a check mark for completing the survey?
:rolleyes:

Amy

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Well shucks! I assumed you'd be attending with Tom. I saw that he had filled out a survey, but I didn't actually look at it. I'll remove you now. ;)

VeeDubTDI

TDI
See you tomorrow at the GTG in Baltimore?

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
LA is a good show, I went there for 2010 or 11 IIRC. You definitely get a lot more of the high end automakers to show up, as LA alone is the biggest market for such cars. It's also a lot more spread out than Detroit. A fair bit more walking required!

Neat show to go to for different reasons, especially if you have an appreciation for high end, high-tech cars.
The Los Angeles Auto show is loaded with high end stuff! Lots of floor space filled with all kinds of cars.

So the Detroit Show does not have near as much of the high end stuff? How about the imports? Do many of them show up or is Detroit mostly domestic stuff?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Lots of imports, but not a lot of really high end stuff. There's usually a small Rolls/Bentley display, but you don't see Ferrari or Lamborghini all years. Tesla was not there last year, was the previous. Land Rover and Jaguar are there, as are all the big German manufacturers.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Tesla not being there, FWIW, is because they can't legally sell in Michigan without franchised dealers, which they refuse to use.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Cool! I hope you can make it. Any recommendations for Friday night dinner in Ypsi?

Last year we went to The Wurst Bar and in previous years, we went to Frenchie's/Sidetrack. I'm open to suggestions (or repeats) for this year.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Somewhere quieter for dinner would be nice. But I know that can be a challenge.

deegingerkid

Beware the Ginger! Vendor
TDI
"Blurple" 2000 New Beetle 5M 2006 Jetta has been SOLD
John Jackson, do come along. Matt and I are gonna make this one come hell or high water. We've missed the last 2, and that stings. My family also misses me during the holidays...so coming home is kind of obligatory now. We are a fun and crazy group out east. <3

It's on our list to be home for this. Fingers crossed, you guys. Seriously...fingers crossed for us...and donations accepted. :O

VeeDubTDI

TDI
John Jackson, do come along. Matt and I are gonna make this one come hell or high water. We've missed the last 2, and that stings. My family also misses me during the holidays...so coming home is kind of obligatory now. We are a fun and crazy group out east. <3

It's on our list to be home for this. Fingers crossed, you guys. Seriously...fingers crossed for us...and donations accepted. :O
Woohoo! This is great news. :D

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V

Would be GREAT to see you and Matt again. Been too long. Are you 2 flying or driving?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
7 days left in our room block. For those of you interested in attending, please reserve soon. The hotel has a very good cancelation policy in case your plans change.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Also, would the following people please fill out your surveys? :)

• IndigoBlueWagon
  • PeterV
  • Jetter_Sprinta
  • r90skirk

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Well, gentlemen - I had given this a lot of thought, but got a bad case of cold feet in the last week. Had planned to tack another trip onto Winterfest, but that trip fell by the wayside. Have a great time.
Some other time, John! The weather isn't looking particularly cooperative this year anyway.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Really? That's excellent.

REALLY....For once! Wife even scheduled a day off on Friday. She has Monday off as well (Gov employee) She has 5 weeks of vacation to burn....plus sick/floating time. Good friend works in a specialty limited run manufacturing company just north of detroit. They do prototyping and limited run stuff for automotive all over the world. They just did interiors for Karma, Koenigsegg, the new presidential limo's just to name a few. Plus a lit of prototype stuff for the big 3. Going to try and get there to see it Friday by lunch. Can see if we could get a small tour. Possibly.