40K service checklist

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
Oil, urea, fuel filter, cabin air filter, tire rotation . Anything else ?
Going to be first one I am going to do myself, now that VW's freebies are over.

What do dealerships charge for it - in labor ? Good source for parts ?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Last edited:

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
Having looked at the PDF, she looks like $500 service at the dealers. The list of checks goes on and on.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
id drop the manual gear oil every 50k, but that's just me

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
I'm coming up on ours too. Anyone got an idea what to use to lubricate the sunroof? Never had a sunroof before so I'm guessing some kind of silicone?

lojeff10

TDI
2012 Passat - 6sp MT
My dealership quoted me $530 for my 6m. I haven't been happy with them to begin with so there is no way I will go there for the 40k.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I'm coming up on ours too. Anyone got an idea what to use to lubricate the sunroof? Never had a sunroof before so I'm guessing some kind of silicone?
There is special sunroof grease/lube available. Not sure who sells it, but I'm sure a quick Internet search will return some results.

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
$530 ? Wow ...

40K has something like a dozen of checklists - that's why it is so labor intensive, IMO. "Check, examine, verify" etc etc.

The fluids/filters are no different from 20K service and so that's what I am going to do. Document stuff with receipts and may be a pic or two :)

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
And while on subject of sun roof - do poke those drains, gently, with some sort of wire/weed whacker line, to make sure they wont clog on you.

Some folx swear by Aerospace 303 to keep rubber that is exposed to the sun, shiny & happy

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Yeah the price is a shock but I think it is an important step to maintain the sunroof's slides and deals over time.

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Heck now I'm not so shocked. The maintenance schedule for the sunroof calls for part # G060172A3 to lubricate the sunroof seals. I haven't got a dealer quote yet (didn't bother), but google pointed me to that this is a kyrtox lubricant, and it's more than the rail grease. Got some at a GM dealer for a little more than the rail grease. I'll do a write up on it all when I get the parts delivered.

But I did get everything but the DSG and sunroof done today.

PS. I'd like to kick the guy who designed the oil filter and the clearance to get it out of the engine bay.

Last edited:

FormerOwner

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6spd; Former Owner 02 MkIV wagon
Found this on the PDF download: "Air filter element and snow filter: Replace and clean housing" called for every 60K...

Anyone have a visual aid that can show me where the snow filter is? Thanks!

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Snow filter is a piece of whit foam like material glued to the filter element side. Your car likely has one from factory as mine did even though it was delivered to Texas. Just pop the filter box and look at the filter. I replaced ours at 40k service due to dust conditions here. Interestingly enough I couldn't find a non snow filter equipped air filter for replacement.

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
$530 ? Wow ...

40K has something like a dozen of checklists - that's why it is so labor intensive, IMO. "Check, examine, verify" etc etc.
I wonder if there is some kind of correlation between the 40k being a "big" service and it being the first "non-free" one.

(I for one would have preferred a longer warranty from the factory and pay for maintenance, if the price of the car were otherwise equivalent.)

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
What is the part number for the Mann oil filter for the 2013 Passat 2.0 TDI. I'm looking around and getting different numbers from different web sites.

Thanks!

(edit) is it this one?

http://www.amazon.com/MAHLE-Origina...r=2013|2013&carId=001&n=15684181&s=automotive

I can't find a Mann filter, only this MAHLE.
Looks the same as this Hamman:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DER6A1Y/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A39702CCOVJH2

Which, if you scroll down to the product description, says it's for a "2012 Diesel Passat." Is it? I don't know. We've still only got 4700 miles on our car, so I haven't actually bought one and changed it.

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
I just got back from having my 30K service done. I asked what the 40K was going to cost, I was told $490 for a 6MT, more for the DSG but I didn't ask as I have the MT.

cjlangston

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
just had my 40k done on my 2012 SEL w/DSG…dealer wanted to charge $1090 until I threatened to walk. Brought it down to $890 and I still feel unclean

tdiot

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI 350000mi, Mercedes E320 CDI, 96 Dodge 2500 Cummins, 96 Serro Scotty Cummins RV, 93 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 TD.
I just did the 40K service on my 6MT. ESP from Pep Boys for cheap with coupon. DEF from Walmart and filter pack from ID. Oil filter location absurd but still a very easy task. Less than one hour total.

Ace Deprave

Veteran Member
TDI
Former owner of a 2012 Passat SE TDI (traded for a 2015 Golf R)
just had my 40k done on my 2012 SEL w/DSG…dealer wanted to charge $1090 until I threatened to walk. Brought it down to $890 and I still feel unclean
Wow. I just called to schedule mine and was quoted $680.

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
For the DIY types: idparts carries the whole service filter pack in one convenient package. Support one of our sponsors and save yourselves the guessing game.

Their price on LiquMoly is more than $10 cheaper than Amazons - and they won't charge tax for most of us, unlike the Amazon. JIC - they are in Mass.

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
While saving ~$500+ by doing the service yourself is the driving factor for most of us, the other reason is to make sure it is all done properly.

If your friendly neighborhood mech decides to prime the fuel filter's clean side with unfiltered fuel, it is very likely your car will be toast. At the very least, make sure they understand that.