Omaha, NE chat thread

jumpn

Veteran Member
TDI
former 2003 gls Jetta
KS97Passat

Yea, I had to trade it due to some family health issues. My Dad was needing transportation for radiation, and I couldn't fit his wheelchair in the Jetta. I still check this forum everyday, maybe I'll have a TDI again sometime.

Vhunter

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 silver Jetta 5spd TDI
Nuts, I completely spaced off this thread last week and forgot about the GTG. I would have liked to get to Omaha and check out some of the TDI's in the area!
I will try to watch a little more closely next time. I'd really like to see some good info on BioD and other fuel alternatives. I have to work alternateing weekends, so its a little hard to get to some of these GTG!
As for the guy looking for RC software to check, I have RC 3.1 and .205 injectors in my 99 A4 Jetta, along with G-60 clutch to hold it. It seems to be running "lean" lately, as I haven't been able to do a 'soot dump' on tailgaters lately.. Maybe its the new ULSD fuel, or something... I need to check things out with my VAG-com
one of these days to see whats going on.. maybe i'll need to do a "hammer mod" to the fuel pump! :eek: :D
Laters!

MrErlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4dr 5sp
OmahaBiodieselCoop

Vhunter,

sorry we missed you this past weekend, don't worry it wasn't much of a GTG anyway... only one other club member showed up to meet my brother and i, and there wasn't much work going on. we talked TDI's for a while, and i finally, at the end of winter (doh!), installed my TDIHeater. worked like a charm last night, i'm counting on it for these last few days of cold weather.

i'd say hold for a while on the hammer mod, that's a pretty drastic step. get a VagCom scan first and try timing/IQ adjustments before you go whacking parts with a hammer. i've considered the hammer mod myself, to reduce my idle shudder. hopefully i'll find a better way to clean up the problem.

i am planning another GTG, hopefully to do some Appleseed processor building or maybe even brewing in the next few weeks. i'll make sure to let you know plenty ahead of time, and i'm pretty sure i can even schedule so you can make it. my schedule is pretty flexible, i had listed April 12th in the past is that good for you or does April 19th better?

Coming Soon...
www.OmahaBiodieselCoop.org

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Which Dealership for Maintenance??

Hey Guys, I wanted to find out which dealership (in general) would you say is the better to have maintenance done? It is time for the 20k go round in my 2006.5 TDI DSG and the dealership I bought it used from (Williamson's Honda) is paying for it.

I live in Omaha but work in Lincoln so most things are more convenient to have done in Lincoln but I don't know the first about the service levels at Schworer VW. I also know nothing about the dealerships here in town so I'm hoping you all can lend some advice.

Also, in general, do you all take your cars in at the recommended maintenance levels and do your oil changes yourselves or do it all at the dealership? I plan to take my own oil to them (I'm going to pick up some Castrol SLXIII or I do believe the dealership has it as VW branded LLIII) anyway but if it's better to just do it at home in between dealer services, I'll do that.

Well thanks for any advice you can lend and I look forward to hearing back.

vwcampin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Auto
I know nothing about Schworer in Lincoln, but I would recommend Performance VW in Omaha over Stan Olsen. If you want to bring your own oil, I would say to make sure and speak with the Service Writer first. As to doing your own maintenance that is up to you really. I try to do all of my own, but I am about 120k past any warranty:D If you decide to do your own oil changes, make sure and keep receipts and document dates. That way you have proof of maintenance if you need to take your car in for warranty work. As for doing the oil changes, I highly recommend a Pella extractor. You can do a search on here for them.

MrErlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4dr 5sp
Mrrogers1 said:
Hey Guys, I wanted to find out which dealership (in general) would you say is the better to have maintenance done?
i've never had any work done by a stealership in Omaha, but there are two options; Performance and Stan Olsen.

Also, in general, do you all take your cars in at the recommended maintenance levels and do your oil changes yourselves or do it all at the dealership?
i bought mine at 97k miles, so i never had to worry about warranty or "recommended maintenance". i do all my own work, with the help of other club members.

I plan to take my own oil to them (I'm going to pick up some Castrol SLXIII or I do believe the dealership has it as VW branded LLIII) anyway but if it's better to just do it at home in between dealer services, I'll do that.
oil changes are the #1 thing to do your self so you know it's done right. i use Elf 506.01 on 15k OCI (oil change interval) and have it tested by Blackstone Lab. no need to pay someone to do that simple job for you, takes 30 mins and almost zero tools/experience. i guess if your under warranty, you might consider having the stealership do that for you. no sense in risking warranty for no reason.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks!

I'm going to do the stealership deal until I'm out of warranty and then I'm sure I can do everything else with the help of the fine folks in the Omaha TDI Forums group. (I have done quite a bit of wrenching so I'm sure I can handle most anything that comes up.)

I'm going to contact both Schorer and Performance about bringing my own oil to them and see what each says. I'm hoping someone has dealt with Schorer and posts but if no one speaks up over the weekend, I'll schedule at which ever lets me bring the oil to them.

tdireader

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI
Haven't had much service done in Omaha.

Talk to omaha audi owners about olson and you will most likely avoid them.

Performance is alright. Although, they refused to fix a warranty issue three times. Got it fixed in another city on the first complaint.

Don't know much about Shorer other than they tried to sell me a car at sticker a few years ago.

Too bad williamson is gone.

Last edited:

Boiler84

TDI
2004 Passat Wagon GLS TDI
Performance VW

Duane appears to be upfront and straight-shooting. When I bought my TDI, it had a lighting issue in the front that they fixed the first time. Of course, they want to do all of your service for you. I suggest getting a Pela Oil Extractor and buying your own 505.01 oil and doing it yourself. When the TB is ready for a change, I am thinking of visiting WI and learning at the knee of a TDI expert! The dealership could be useful for electrical issues, but otherwise, for basic service issues like oil and filters, do it yourself. FWIW IMHO.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok, I'm gonna take it to Schorers since they charge $30 less that Performance, are here in Lincoln (where I work) and have a shuttle service as well. I'll let them do the oil changes at 10k OCI since 95% of my miles are done on I80 (they do have the SLXIII so I'll get me some 507 spec oil and VW filter to boot) until I get out of warranty.

At that point, I'll evaluate the cost vs. benefits of having them do the oil changes as they only charge $60 to do it (I think) and I don't know that we can get SLXIII and filters for that much.

*Blackstone Lab testing - how much is it and what is the process to have it tested? I'd like to do a couple at 10k and then check a 15k to see the difference.

Thank you all, and I'll be sure to let you know if I end up with oil in the motor. :D

MrErlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4dr 5sp
Blackstone lab testing

Mrrogers1 said:
*Blackstone Lab testing - how much is it and what is the process to have it tested? I'd like to do a couple at 10k and then check a 15k to see the difference.
Blackstone Labs is pretty straight forward. just email them and tell them to send you a sampling container, and then mail it back to them. cost is ~$25, i can't remember exactly. have them send you a couple sampling conatiners at once, that way you always have one on hand when you need it. i've got 2 at my place now, one for my Jetta and one for my brother's Golf which are both due for changes probably next month. 506.01 will be going in, since there's 2 of us now, it's reasonable to get the 18L case rather than just buying individual bottles.

blackstone sends back a very comprehensive report, here's mine.

Phaedrus

TDI
2005 Passat
New Omaha Member

Hi, I joined TDIclub a few days ago, and TornadoRed turned me onto this Omaha thread. Bought a 2005 Passat TDI new, and now have 107k miles on it; having the TB and some brake work done next week at Olson's (not my first choice, but have 0 experience with any other dealer). I drive around 130miles per day, almost 98% highway (live in Harlan, IA - but work in the 'city') and easily hit 30-35K miles per year (obviously).

This is my third VW; my first was a plain GTI, but I'm a little big, so traded for a new 2002 Jetta 1.8T and had nothing but problems, so finally traded for the Passat TDI (not exactly logical, huh?).

I"m thinking of switching to the VW 507.00 spec using the Castrol LongLife. Will the dealer know what I'm talking about? Oh, I'm unfortunately, very non-mechanical.

-Bill

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
Phaedrus said:
Hi, I joined TDIclub a few days ago, and TornadoRed turned me onto this Omaha thread. Bought a 2005 Passat TDI new, and now have 107k miles on it; having the TB and some brake work done next week at Olson's (not my first choice, but have 0 experience with any other dealer). I drive around 130miles per day, almost 98% highway (live in Harlan, IA - but work in the 'city') and easily hit 30-35K miles per year (obviously).

This is my third VW; my first was a plain GTI, but I'm a little big, so traded for a new 2002 Jetta 1.8T and had nothing but problems, so finally traded for the Passat TDI (not exactly logical, huh?).

I"m thinking of switching to the VW 507.00 spec using the Castrol LongLife. Will the dealer know what I'm talking about? Oh, I'm unfortunately, very non-mechanical.

-Bill

I jusgt had my 20k "check up" done at Schrower in Lincoln and when I set the appointment up, I told the I wanted the 507 spec VW Castrol SLX. They assured me they had the oil, turned out they only had the 505 AND I did have to seriously question them when I picked the car up.

They then told me they didn'tknow when they would get it and my reply was, "I can buy the VW 507 from Implex, weird how the dealer can't get it"

I will bring it to them for the next change, not taking chances and don't want to listen to excuses.

I recommend you talk to the service manager and even if he needs to confirm by looking at the bottle, confirm it's the 507.

Sad that our dealers don't even know about this stuff, being bottled for VW specially and all....

vwcampin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Auto
Phaedrus said:

-Bill
Bill, welcome to the club. I notice you are getting the TB done, by a dealership, and that dealership happens to be Stan Olsen:eek:

A few things to know upfront.
  • Dealerships normally do not know a lot about TDI's as they do not see/work on many.
  • Most on this site try to steer clear from dealerships in general.
  • Stan Olsen is known for poor service in Omaha.
  • Be very cautious when goign to a dealership for a TB job
It is very important that if you do have the dealership do the TB that they replace ALL of the necessary parts! I couldn't find a link to the exact parts for the PD engine, but see this link for an idea of what they should be replacing, it is for a MKIV Jetta http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=149273

Dealerships will try and cheap out and just replace the belt. It is very important that they replace the tensioners/rollers as well. Some of the bolts are stretch bolts and are one time use only.

That being said, I had my TB done by Performance as I worked it into the purchase price when I bought it. I had it in writing of what I wanted done, yet by the time it reached the service tech, the request was for belt only. Luckily for me, I knew the tech, and talked to him before the install, so he saw the error and made sure it was done right.

This is an important maintenance piece for you engine, so if Stan Olen is going to do this, really press them to make sure they do it right.

MrErlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4dr 5sp
Phaedrus said:
having the TB and some brake work done next week at Olson's (not my first choice, but have 0 experience with any other dealer).
hey bill, welcome to the club. if you don't need the TB done today or this week... perhaps you could talk to a "TDI Guru". user DeafBug from MN comes down past omaha every now and then, and the KC TDI guys are pretty good. there is a thread about an upcoming GTG. if you are at 107k miles and you haven't had the TB changed before (which seems the most likely case) you should have it done ASAP. i had mine done by Corky's VW. i wasn't careful enough about nailing them down on the specific work done, i had the TB changed the first week i bought the car and didn't know enough to try and find a guru. i hope they did the whole job, but i'm not 100% positive. i've been alright for 40k miles, but i'll definitely be having a TDIClub member do my next TB job.

again, welcome and keep us updated on how things are going with your ride.

Boiler84

TDI
Phaedrus Use Performance!

If you have to use the dealership, go to Performance. I haven't been to Olson's in awhile, but Performance treated me well recently with my 2004 PassaT Wagon. My car was a salvage and they weren't trying to run me around. Talk to Duane.

vwsnaps

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
Howdy Omaha TDI's... I sold my 98 TDI last year and now i am looking for another one.. Anyone knows of any for sale let me know.

I am in lincoln and usually have a few VW's for sale. (gasers)

If i dont find a TDi in the next few weeks then im going to swap a 1.9 tdi into my 88 GLI 16v car... :)

vwsnaps

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
Boiler84 said:
If you have to use the dealership, go to Performance. I haven't been to Olson's in awhile, but Performance treated me well recently with my 2004 PassaT Wagon. My car was a salvage and they weren't trying to run me around. Talk to Duane.
I would give Performance Service a thumb up...

But the sales staff a big thumb down.... 2 years ago i had 2005 TDi jetta. Wife hated it so i went to performance and they had 03 Gti 20th Gti.. they told me they would trade straight across.. so next day i went to do the deal and they receeded and tried getting another $3000 outta me... ***... The sales manager name was JIM and he was a dushbag.... (spelling of dushbag?)

I know Jeff in parts, Duane in service and Kyle is a tech there and would recommend there service dept... but question their sales staff..

KS97Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat sedan, 1997, maroon, 129k mi.
It's always good to use proper spelling. I believe the word is "douchebag" and that must mean that he cleans feminine parts.

vwcampin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Auto
Jumpn,
The article will be running this Saturday.

Vwsnaps-Don't know of any TDI's currently for sale in the area, but I saw your old MKIII a few months ago and whoever bought it must have rearended someone. The front was a mess. Too bad, it was a good looking car.

Phaedrus

TDI
2005 Passat
Update on new TB and 100K service

Wow! I had to resort to my kid's college fund :( to finance the TB replacement and 100k service on my 2005 Passat TDI. I shelled out $2494.16 at SO for the TB assembly; TB, belts, serpentine, WP, rollers, tensioner, etc., and the fuel filter(s), pollen filter, other filters I'm sure, replace the windshield, new motor for R D window... and new brake pads, 2 discs and liners.

My favorite was the bulb (diod?) for the 'climate' panel, it was $2.98 and roughly $40 for the labor.

They did much better with keeping me informed of the status, and no $ surprises.

Are these normal prices, or did I get raked? It is like being in a new car. Oh, they have no clue what 507 spec is, they said no problem, but it was the 505.01 spec:mad: . I really wanted to switch to the 507 and see what happened.

Let me know when the next GTG is - maybe I'll buy some pizza or something...

oh, if you see me driving around the O, honk.

-bill

MrErlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4dr 5sp
Phaedrus said:
Wow! I had to resort to my kid's college fund :( to finance the TB replacement and 100k service on my 2005 Passat TDI. I shelled out $2494.16 at SO for the TB assembly; TB, belts, serpentine, WP, rollers, tensioner, etc., and the fuel filter(s), pollen filter, other filters I'm sure, replace the windshield, new motor for R D window... and new brake pads, 2 discs and liners.
TB prices for a PD-TDI kit $269, and parts usually match labor. the TB, serpentine, WP, rollers and tensioners are all uncluded in that, those are what people were referring to when they said "doing the complete job." so i hope SO didn't charge you extra for any of those parts, cuz that's total BS.

fuel filter for a PD is $25, and maybe... 15 mins of labor. i'm not totally familiar with the "pollen filter", in general there is an "air filter" and a "(carbon) cabin filter", $12.95 and $18.95 repsectively. also, maybe 5 mins of work each. if they did the oil change, you got a new oil filter, $9.

new windshield ~ $200, i'm unfamiliar with the rear window motor. rear brake pads, $60 + equal money to install (probably worth it unless you have a good floor jack and power tools IMO). not sure about costs for the discs/liners, maybe Midas would be able to quote you a price.

so the majority of the $'s in parts, and hours in labor was in the TB. personally, i wouldn't like to have shelled out $2500 but i've been driving with a crack in my windshield since i bought the car 40k miles ago. the TB was an absolute necesity, better to get it out of the way. the rest... up to you.

have you got an invoice we can look at? if you can scan that thing and get us a link we might be able to point out other things that snuck on there.

Phaedrus

TDI
2005 Passat
Scanning the TB invoice

Good idea, I'll scan the invoice tonight - its a horror movie in the making.

-Bill

Last edited:

Boiler84

TDI
I Agree on Performance Sales Staff

The youngsters try hard, but the sales leader wasn't listening! The parts department and the service department were very good. As in most dealerships, the sales staff don't measure up to the service department.

All in all, I still prefer to do any service I can manage on my own. Just look at what happened to Phaedrus with his adventure to Stan Olson's Ouch!

Phaedrus

TDI
2005 Passat
Any NB Autos FS in Omaha?

Is anyone aware of any NB TDI Autos for sale in the Omaha area?:confused: Prefer to keep it <$10K but also would like a 5spd auto:D
Prefer Silver variant or black - but could paint it I guess...

thanks!
Bill

vwcampin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Auto
I think I saw one in the paper at either Performance or Olsen, but it was a couple weeks ago and they usually don't last that long.