MN Chat Thread

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
Good plan VR.

What we do about drafting and what speed would we maintain. I went to the Mich Fest on one tank, and the convoy was a little sloppy, everybody has there own comfort zone. How about cutting down in IL on 39 to miss most of the traffic.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
anyone have experience installing a DG ultra shifter in an MkIV? i had trouble getting it installed - well, mrchill and a few others had trouble installing it for me, i was just watching and trying to help where i could, but we couldn't get it in. i first need to verify with jim that i do in fact have the correct part. but i would like to get it installed sometime this winter...

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
Spamjohnson said:
Good plan VR.

What we do about drafting and what speed would we maintain. I went to the Mich Fest on one tank, and the convoy was a little sloppy, everybody has there own comfort zone. How about cutting down in IL on 39 to miss most of the traffic.
That's a possibility. I've only used I-39 as far as I-88, and that was to detour around an accident that was blocking the road at the Marengo toll plaza.

I'd have to compute the distances and find out what services are along the way.

Route 66

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 VW
VR your route looks complete and services should not be a problem unless you know something the rest of us do not.

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
The fact is that I am more familiar with the I-90/I-294 route than the I-39/I-80 route. The I-39/I-80 route is about 44 miles longer and also has a few sharp bends and a 45 mph speed limit through parts of Joliet.

There is a rest area on I-39 a bit south of I-88 that could be used as a check-in point. The Belvidere check-in point is the service area just east of the second toll plaza.

(FYI, the Illinois Tollway is reconstructing all of its mainline toll plazas during 2005-06 to allow tolls to be paid electronically at highway speed. The Belvidere plaza is slated to become a one-way toll collected westbound only. I have one of their transponders, which also work in Pennsylvania. Indiana and Ohio do not currently use electronic toll collection.)

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
Bookworm said:
You may have to wait for the rest of the caravan to pay the old way.
True. However, I will continue driving until reaching the designated stop.
We would be gapped by two toll plazas at Belvidere under the current setup and another six by the time we reach northwest Indiana. However, the stop in northwestern IN is before the first toll plaza we would hit in Indiana, and I generally did not have to wait more than maybe 30 seconds at either of the two westernmost toll plazas in Pennsylvania (pay $1.50 immediately on entering PA, enter ticket system just east of I-79). For exiting the Pennsylvania Turnpike, it won't matter for the competition, since it will end at a service area.

Perhaps we should put this in a new thread....

Last edited:

KomarekTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD: 2003 Golf GLS TDI - Black
burpod said:
anyone have experience installing a DG ultra shifter in an MkIV? i had trouble getting it installed - well, mrchill and a few others had trouble installing it for me, i was just watching and trying to help where i could, but we couldn't get it in. i first need to verify with jim that i do in fact have the correct part. but i would like to get it installed sometime this winter...
Sure, I thought this installation was a snap! I even did it while on crutches and a cast from my toes up to my knee last winter. What sort of problems are you having? The only part that gave me any resistance was popping the counterweight off.

KomarekTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
vikingrob said:
True. However, I will continue driving until reaching the designated stop.
That's funny - you just don't want to go through the additional slow-down / speed-up cycles that will hurt your mileage eh?.... This way everyone will come out of the toll booths a little bit hot so they can catch up to you (using even more fuel) - another nice little trick.

IPass is great - you can order your transponders online for those of you who need every last little competitive advantage in you mileage competition.

You guys crack me up...

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
KomarekTDI said:
That's funny - you just don't want to go through the additional slow-down / speed-up cycles that will hurt your mileage eh?.... This way everyone will come out of the toll booths a little bit hot so they can catch up to you (using even more fuel) - another nice little trick.
Well, at least they are not as severe of slow-down/speed-up cycles.

:D :D :D :D

Route 66

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 VW
If I end up in this caravan my mileage is the least of my worries. avoiding traffic and the jams are what my objective will be.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
komarek, did you install the race or the ultra shifter? i've got the ultra, i know the race is a bit different. when i go home for the holidays i will take pics of the kit i have, send them to jim, to make sure i have the correct part, then let you know... the problem we had, if i remember, is when trying to adjust it, the cable kept popping out...

KomarekTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
DG Shifter

I installed the Race shifter, then upgraded to the Ultra shifter as soon as that one came out. The only difference was the billet cable end for the fore/aft shift cable. So which cable was "popping out"? Were you guys following the directions (probably a stupid question but had to ask). I'm not quite sure how you the cable was popping out while you were adjusting it since there should be zero tension in the cable when you have the adjustment pin pulled up on the trans, and the hi-tech nail inserted in the shifter. In case you bought the shifter second hand and do not have instructions, they are still available on the dieselgeek website in the install guides section. I'd be glad to install it for you - just let me know when you'd like to do it. It's a piece of cake.

One more thing... If you want to compare the parts you have to what you are supposed to have - check out the install guides on the dieselgeek website. There are quite a few pictures that show the parts you should have received.

tango_28

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 JSW(sold 2011) , 2009 JSW RIP 1-5-2013, 2011 JSW
I see a lot of TDIs at Afton ski Resort, I wonder if they ever vist this site.

tango_28

Veteran Member
TDI
somepunk22 said:
My black golf was there last friday. I've spotted my twin golf at hyland a couple times.
If you see a white Jetta wagon, thats my car. I park by the Alpine or the Meadow area. BTW I work there as a ski instructor and work on Monday, Thursday and Saturday.

KomarekTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Does anyone know where I could find Amoco Premier 50 cetane diesel in the Forest Lake area +/- 20 miles or so?

Come on... SNOW!!!

tango_28

Veteran Member
TDI
This best place for diesel around your area is Mills Fleet Farm, right now they are have Artic diesel which is 45 centane and higher. There is an Amoco right across the border(in WI) from Stillwater that has Amoco Premier

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
You got your snow, and I need to fuel up at the St. Cloud Mills this afternoon. 600 mile tank this time, 500 mile tank before

Hey DB, those snow tires working for you?

Sam thinking about a 4 motion and 6 speed conversion.

KomarekTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
No kidding, nice to see some white stuff again. Just had one of my highest mpg tanks ever - 764 miles on 15.1 gallons! All highway driving with a few short high speed runs (I got bored). Went from Forest Lake to Minocqua, WI - then from Minocqua, WI to Marshfield, WI and back - then from Minocqua, WI back to Forest Lake - then back and forth to Coon Rapids and work a few times. Best winter tank ever for me. Crusing around at 64 or so, EGT was usually around 600 F, boost at 2 psi, tires at 38 psi, no roof rack.

Spamjohnson - if you're thinking about getting some blizzaks, I absolutely love them. I fell in love with them on my old Explorer and will always have a set for every vehicle I own. Great tire.

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
I had Hakki's on the rim's I sold to Deaf Bug, they were real nice, I got some M & S's on the standard rims last year, but I think my tread is down, my fault really. There is a place that I walk the dog that doesn't get plowed, so my ground clearance is my biggest issue.

That's great mileage, my 1 mile commute kills me.

Route 66

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 VW
Komarek TDI Wally Carlsons in Lindstrom has Premier Diesel use pump # 9 and grab the midddle pump this is # 2 diesel with no added anti-gelling additive and does contain 2 percent bio if your ok with that. The second choice if you do not want bio is to go to St. Croix Falls and fill up Maynards a BP station that has 40% # 1 and 60% # 2.

somepunk22

Veteran Member
Any recommendations for good diesel in the SW metro? I usually fill up at the mobil in Eden Prairie when I'm not running bio, but I don't seem to get the best milage with it. Current tank is from the SA off the clearwater exit off 94. I seem to be getting much better milage then when I fill up at mobil. Thanks.

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
somepunk22 said:
Any recommendations for good diesel in the SW metro? I usually fill up at the mobil in Eden Prairie when I'm not running bio, but I don't seem to get the best milage with it. Current tank is from the SA off the clearwater exit off 94. I seem to be getting much better milage then when I fill up at mobil. Thanks.
One that might be of interest would be Bauer's in minnetonka at Excelsior Blvd. and Baker Rd.

As for the Mobil, this is the one adjoining Davanni's and right next to the mall, right?

somepunk22

Veteran Member
That one is actually closer to home, but I usually goto the one off Valley View near home depot. I don't think I've ever seen a diesel vehicle fill up at the one near davanni's. Plus they sold me a bad tank of premo gas this last summer. I'll try Bauer's next. Thanks.

How are you liking the 506.01? I was thinking about ordering some very soon. If someone wants to place an order with me to save on shipping let me know.

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
somepunk22 said:
That one is actually closer to home, but I usually goto the one off Valley View near home depot. I don't think I've ever seen a diesel vehicle fill up at the one near davanni's. Plus they sold me a bad tank of premo gas this last summer. I'll try Bauer's next. Thanks.

How are you liking the 506.01? I was thinking about ordering some very soon. If someone wants to place an order with me to save on shipping let me know.
I plan to order 5 liters of the Elf 506.01 soon from Danix (tdiparts.com).

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
506.01 can (and probably should) be used in PD engines... i ordered some and will be putting it in my car within the next week or so...

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
Bookworm said:
Burpod, I cannot find any dealership or VW to ok the use of 506.01.
are you worried about warranty? 506.01 is as far as i know, essentially the "long life" version of 505.01 and supercedes any requirements of 505.01. as for whether vw dealer okays it or not, i don't know, but i wouldn't worry about what they say anyways...
there's plenty of people using 506.01, PD and non-PD cars. i'm probably going to start using 506.01 and for the 1st time do 10k change, send it in for analysis, and then start doing 15-20k oil changes...