ALH Turbo Delete: Daily Driving a Naturally Aspirated 2001 Golf

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
yes, just go into ecu>coding>enter 00001 > do it
Sounds easy, I'm guessing I can just put the original value back in to get it back? Will have to sit down with VCDS when I have a few minutes alone and go for a test drive without kids in the car.

Meanwhile, I think you might appreciate this:

The lack of power did not stop me from towing my little 42" lawn tractor from where I live in Flamborough to nearby Haldiman County. Its about 60 km or 40 miles one way with the steepest uphill section being Highway 403 between Aberdeen Ave and the Lincoln Alexander Parkway in Hamilton, Ontario where the elevation changes only a few hundred feet in a few miles up the Niagara Escarpment (locals call it the Hamilton Mountain). There I only managed 80km/h in the 100km/h zone, which is faster than some trucks manage in the same area, so I turned my hazard lights on and kept my foot to the floor in fourth gear.

I was pleasantly surprised that there was no smoke and the temperature reported by the Scanguage only climbed from 82 degC to 85 degC - barely operating temperature. I was having an overheating problem on long uphills before the turbo blew, I'm guessing the thermostat is not opening fully, I guess I don't have to worry about that for a while. Also, I was getting clutch slip in 5th gear at lower rpms on steep hills. It only happened around 2200 rpm and it would instantly remind you that you should be in a lower gear, dummy. Anyway, I don't need to worry about that anymore either!

Less power, less problems!

The more I drive the car the more confidence I get.

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I wanna see more fuel economy numbers...

Maybe we can take up a collection to buy you a used turbo? :D

EDIT - did you ever get your timing belt done again?

Last edited:

Oo-v-oO

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta Expired... Now 2000 Golf & 2002 Golf
I have a B4 TDI intake manifold and was thinking of drilling and tapping it for the pressure gauge I'm going to install then swapping it with mine until I realized the inlet points toward the driver's side fender, not the passenger's.
One of those would neaten your intake plumbing up considerably.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
I have a B4 TDI intake manifold and was thinking of drilling and tapping it for the pressure gauge I'm going to install then swapping it with mine until I realized the inlet points toward the driver's side fender, not the passenger's.
It might, but then I might have to re-do the crank case vent plumbing. This works, especially with all of the EGR and air conditioning stuff out of the way.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
I wanna see more fuel economy numbers...

Maybe we can take up a collection to buy you a used turbo? :D

EDIT - did you ever get your timing belt done again?
Fuel economy numbers are coming... I've done 400 more km this tank already.

You got me: no, I haven't done the belt yet. I'm pushing 200,000 on this timing belt. I'm afraid the cam and lifters are close to wearing out, along with the injection pump, power steering, you name it. Its been fun but I don't plan on putting another timing belt on the car, let alone a turbo... Its all about how much time I have to work on the car and whether it is still fun to repair, and fun to drive. To me, "fun to drive" includes puttering along making weird engine sounds and getting ridiculous fuel economy.

Part of me hoped the car was dead when the turbo blew, so that I could move on to a different project....

...but then I was, and am daily, pleased to have it running again without spending any money.

I should probably do the timing belt before replacing the turbo, right? Either way I've decided to wait till the 600,000 km milestone before I do anything.

EDIT: Besides! Imagine I had done the timing belt, and that engine bracket that is stripped out, and the cam and lifters at 560,000 km - and then the turbo blew at 597,000 I would be like, "Oh man I wasted like $1000 (Canadian) and an entire month worth of my free time unless I go and spend more money and time, ARG!!!" Whereas, not having spent any of that time or money I can be like, "Yeah, turbo blew, whatever, didn't need it anyway."

Last edited:

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I tapped my intake for a gauge.
I drilled on top of it over the runner to cylinder 4.
For a few months the gauge buzzed every time I took off and was quiet cruising.
I think its was getting pulses from the air flow to the cylinder.
If I take it off again I plan to drill it closer to the EGR valve.
I also found the hard plastic tubing that came with the gauge gets hard with time and becomes brittle.
Have to come up with a better softer tubing that's heat resistant.
I'm thinking about silicone if it can hold 30 LB.
I also found the hole in the fitting in the manifold gets covered with soot and that seemed to dampen the pulsing and stopped the buzzing.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Re the timing belt, fair enough.

I have a spare b4 intake if you want to clean up your plumbing. Might net you another 2.5 hp! :D

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
So what happened to your turbo? Didn't you install a new Mahle VNT15 a couple years ago?

Yes he did, I am also wondering how and why it blew? It didn't seem that long ago that he installed the Mahle turbo.

Narf, can you shed some light on this?

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Yes he did, I am also wondering how and why it blew? It didn't seem that long ago that he installed the Mahle turbo.

Narf, can you shed some light on this?
Yeah, I did install a Mahle VNT-15 a couple of years ago. I'm not sure why it failed, according to my VDO guage it would rarely spike over 20 psi and would sustain 18 psi up to 5000 rpm before boost was pulled back by the tune. I am burning oil and I may have let it run low. Also I was having an overheating problem, and I don't have an EGT gauage.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
So what happened to your turbo? Didn't you install a new Mahle VNT15 a couple years ago?
Hi, sorry I missed your post in the excitement near the start of this thread. Yes it was a new turbo but considering the way I drove the car, the RC3 tune, and the occasional lack of maintenance, I don't think I can blame the manufacturer. At least that is what I keep telling myself.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Fuel Economy Update

Just before filling up today I snapped this picture at 775 km with 3/8 indicated remaining on the fuel gauge:

This is the first tank entirely driven without turbo. It inclued 110km of towning the lawn tractor, and other daily driving up and down the Niagara Escarpment with a mix of 60/40 highway/city as usual:

2nd tank, 100% naturally aspirated, some towing: Drove 777 km on 40.65 L achieving 5.22 L/100km or 45.0 mpg!

[recap from previous updates:]
1st tank, mostly no turbo: Drove 715.8 kilometers and used 37.908 liters so this tank calculated: 5.3 L/100km or 44.4 mpg!
Previous tanks with turbo and lead foot: 5.9 L/100km or 40 mpg.

Now that the tank is full and trip counters reset, I'm off to tow the trailer another 110 km today to start the next tank.

Its a fun challenge to drive an under-powered vehicle. It takes the fun of towing to the next level where you have to plan your moves on the road more carefully to avoid annoying other drivers. I really enjoy it!

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
Just before filling up today I snapped this picture at 775 km with 3/8 indicated remaining on the fuel gauge:

This is the first tank entirely driven without turbo. It inclued 110km of towning the lawn tractor, and other daily driving up and down the Niagara Escarpment with a mix of 60/40 highway/city as usual:

2nd tank, 100% naturally aspirated, some towing: Drove 777 km on 40.65 L achieving 5.22 L/100km or 45.0 mpg!

1st tank, mostly no turbo: Drove 715.8 kilometers and used 37.908 liters so this tank calculated: 5.3 L/100km or 44.4 mpg!
Previous tanks with turbo and lead foot: 5.9 L/100km or 40 mpg.

Now that the tank is full and trip counters reset, I'm off to tow the trailer another 110 km today to start the next tank.

Its a fun challenge to drive an under-powered vehicle. It takes the fun of towing to the next level where you have to plan your moves on the road more carefully to avoid annoying other drivers. I really enjoy it!
This is my mode when driving my 1982 MB 240D; 65 hp and 3600# makes for leisurely acceleration.
I drive it with my foot to the floor most of the time. I love that car:D

Oo-v-oO

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta Expired... Now 2000 Golf & 2002 Golf
I always figured that driving my old '85 Jetta diesel taught you conservation of momentum and planning ahead!

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
it's kind of like coerced hypermiling

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I learned to drive in a 1966 VW Bus. And my first VW Bug was a '57 with 36 HP. I understand conserving momentum.

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg
I see the OP states a recorded MPG in the mid 40's. Nothing too special about that, right? I've got a hand calc'd 51 before without trying too terribly hard.

I've got a turbo FS if you want it. haha.

Thanks for sharing though, I've got a special affinity for weird stuff.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I've thoroughly enjoyed reading through this thread. Fascinating stuff.

BTW, GO BLUE JAYS!! (even though they're having a bad year)

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Fuel Economy Updates: 3rd and 4th Tank

Here are some new numbers, in order from most recent to oldest:

4th Tank: Drove 612.5 km on 29.903 L achieving 4.88 L/100 km or 48.2 mpg!

3rd Tank: Installed my old PSI Powerbox to add a bit more fuel and see what would happen. There were unacceptable levels of smoke, so after towing for 110 km I removed the Powerbox and only drove another 200 km before filling up. After 306.9 km I used 17.061 L of fuel averaging 5.56 L/100 km or 42.3 mpg.

Previous tanks
with turbo and lead foot: 5.9 L/100km or 40 mpg.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
so it sounds like if you are patient and learn to use the momentum, you can get stellar MPGs out of this car..

I think you should look for a turboless manifold to put on there to smooth out the exhaust path. of course its working now (are you seeing any signs of leaks?) so why mess with success...

does your powerbox have any adjustments or is it just plug and smoke?

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
so it sounds like if you are patient and learn to use the momentum, you can get stellar MPGs out of this car..
Exactly, it doesn't hurt fuel economy that is for sure. You definetly need a little extra patience. I may have mentioned before, it does scoot confidently across intersections. In first, second and third gears between 1600 and 2400 rpm just tooling around you might forget that the turbo was missing. I think this is due to the RC3 tune and Sprint520 injectors.

I think you should look for a turboless manifold to put on there to smooth out the exhaust path. of course its working now (are you seeing any signs of leaks?) so why mess with success...
After gutting the exhaust manifold of the VNT mechanism and its two sandwich plates, I am confident that I have more than doubled the flow potential of my current manifold. The exhaust gasses do have to do a back flip then exit out the hole on the left but there is more than twice as much space as before so I can't see a problem here. A picture here would really help I guess, I will try and get one soon. I haven't really checked for leaks, but the exhaust note did sound a bit different the last couple of days.

does your powerbox have any adjustments or is it just plug and smoke?
It has one tiny potentiometer screw that you can "turn up" but I don't think it really does anything. I'm not really surprised at the results since I get a slight haze at times without the tuning box, especially at lower rpms and higher throttle inputs.

I'm pretty sure I am maxing out the potential of the available air.

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Ooooooo....

Just thought of something...

A while back I was watching some videos on "power enhancers" and came across an electrical type blower device.

Now, on its own, it's hokum - couldn't provide anything but the most modest of power gains. But on your car, primed for the addition of extra intake pressure now absent due to the surgically removed turbo...

Something like this: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/BLACK-3-Elec...ash=item210537d68d:g:HIYAAOSwBahVLYpz&vxp=mtr

It's just a furnace vent motor. Heck, I could scam one from the local water-heater boneyard down the road from me.

If you have a 1000w inverter lying around and a little time.... I bet you could hook up a system that provides needed boost on demand. Heck, your shifter has enough switches so you could wire it in... :D

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
I bet you could hook up a system that provides needed boost on demand.
That is the problem, providing actual boost: my understanding is that those fans are only designed to move air, not pressurize it, and that is why they never work. Even if they can boost air pressure in a bench test, as soon as you connect them the an engine they fail to keep up with the volume demand.

I'm just happy that there is one less big thing to go wrong with this car and I can continue to drive it into oblivion, with even better fuel economy!

Speaking of driving in to oblivion: I'm heading to Roadkill Nights in Pontiac Michigan tomorrow. Will be parking in the exhibition area just like last year, so I need to wash the car!

Picture blatantly stolen from this video on YouTube:Swap-Meet Speed for Roadkill Nights! - Roadkill Ep. 56

Last edited:

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
I guess I forgot to post the obligatory picture of "everything installed and working" so here is what the back of my engine looks like after 2000 km:

Note lack of:
- compressor housing
- airbox to turbo intake pipe
- turbo outlet to intercooler pipe
- egr cooler
- heat shields
- VNT actuator

Less parts less problems!

edit: by the way, the actuator moves extremely freely (not connected to anything inside) and it might cause a slight exhaust leak since its shaft is now exposed to the full force of the exhaust rather than being protected by a plate.

Last edited:

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Last Sheduled Update: This Solution is Permanent!

I don't foresee any changes in the near future so, in summary:

BEFORE the turbo delete:

- RC3, Sprint 520's, 18 lbs Boost
- maybe 130 hp and 200 ft-lbs
- Valeo VR6/G60 SMF/clutch - could be made to slip in 5th gear
- overheating if throttle is held down too long, possible thermostat required, overhearting, puking coolant out the overflow cap (replaced cap, no change)
- spins tires in first thru third when wet if not careful

AFTER the turbo delete:

- RC3, Sprint 520's, zero boost
- maybe 50 hp and 100 ft-lbs
- zero clutch slip
- temperatures stay beween 80-85 deg C no matter what
- very hard to loose traction, even in the wet
- sounds like a tractor

I think I will keep it this way, for now.

Please tune in to The NARFmobile blog for future updates like pictures from the road trip this past weekend, just posted.

Last edited: