If you are considering buyback which cars are you looking at as replacements?

derekmw

TDI
2010 Audi A3 TDI Premium, 2015 Tesla Model S 70
If you can live with a CVT transmission, and no sunroof, a Prius-V is surprisingly big inside and pretty good on gas. I took a long look at one last week at the car show, and this comes from a Prius hater
Hehe, I forgot to mention, Prius is another model my wife has vowed NEVER to drive. I tried to convince her but that's a no go. I can't blame her though, I feel you lose a bit of your soul.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
:rolleyes:It cracks me up when I see some TDI owners, who loved the power and fuel mileage of their vehicle, go in a totally different direction with an SUV or truck, that will likely get only 1/4 to 1/3 the fuel mileage Even if you stick with a diesel, the mileage will still suck. I get it that fuel prices are low, but since everyone is saying we're drowning in oil, all it takes is one shock to stir things up, and next thing you know, we're staring at $4+/gallon fuel prices again. Since SUV's and trucks are popular now because of low fuel prices, their values are high. But when fuel goes up, their values will plummet when everyone wants to get out of them into more fuel efficient vehicles. There are great deals to be had on hybrids and electric vehicles now, which will become more valuable when fuel prices return to their highs.
Barring a massive increase in fuel taxes, or, every family in China and India becoming a two car family, I seriously doubt you will see $4+ per gallon fuel prices for five years at least. Technology has improved to the point that virtually every drilled well in Texas and the Dakotas is successful, the Canadians want to flood the market with tar sands oil, and the Iranians are gearing up to pump oil like they did 40 years ago. The oil producing countries cannot afford to cut back, and history shows that whenever they have tried to limit production, they all cheat on the agreements.

Sappington

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Chevy Volt now -- sold '03 Jetta Wagon :-(
Check the Prius Prime, which is just coming out now. Cargo room is constrained relative to the regular Prius, though.

If you want tons of cargo/passenger room, there's the Pacifica Hybrid, with no impact to cargo or passenger space (although you lose second row Stow-N-Go). But, that's a minivan, and it's from FCA.
Details on the Chrysler Pacifica hybrid are finally released. The price is actually very competitive, and even slightly lower than the comparable gas model. Comes with a decent warranty, too.

Alex on Autos video review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNS7aoTUtX4

Chrysler Pacifica brochure, now with hybrid details, including options:
http://mydigimag.rrd.com/publication/?i=297944

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi
Barring a massive increase in fuel taxes, or, every family in China and India becoming a two car family, I seriously doubt you will see $4+ per gallon fuel prices for five years at least. Technology has improved to the point that virtually every drilled well in Texas and the Dakotas is successful, the Canadians want to flood the market with tar sands oil, and the Iranians are gearing up to pump oil like they did 40 years ago. The oil producing countries cannot afford to cut back, and history shows that whenever they have tried to limit production, they all cheat on the agreements.
Maybe Trump will invade Saudi Arabia.

Cayman

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Hehe, I forgot to mention, Prius is another model my wife has vowed NEVER to drive. I tried to convince her but that's a no go. I can't blame her though, I feel you lose a bit of your soul.
I don't blame her, I hate the damned car. When I met my wife she had one, I almost didn't date her... she still has the ugly thing. And she has me, another ugly thing ;)

That said if you put aside bias and have an open mind the Prius V is almost a station wagon when you put the rear seats down, it's very roomy. Great warranty on the hybrid drive train and the batteries, and gets pretty good mileage (depends on your mix of city & highway). And yeah, it's a Toyota so the low cost of ownership is a very real upside.

I have a three pedal Porsche Cayman (I have to pick the right day/time to drive it), but we also need an automatic because of the brutal stop-and-go traffic in & around Seattle. I won't be getting a Toyota because they all use CVT transmissions, I guess I'm spoiled with my DSG..

Tenebrae

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 VW Jetta TDI Premium with Nav TURNED IN 03/10/2017
I am so all over the place with what I want. I have no idea.
I like the power of the VW GTI Autobahn as well as all the comfort and safety features. I want to find an alternative in another brand, preferably at a lower price point. New.
Part of me is still a little irritated with VW over the scandal and the process (and what I've heard and experienced about the dealers themselves).

I was thinking I'd go look at Toyota over the weekend for A Car that has reliability going for it, but the engine specs don't excite me. I might see if Mazda can make me feel the "zoom zoom" love. I also want to look at Volvo, but have to be realistic that it's probably outside my budget. Honestly, my Jetta was a great car at a great price. Finding a replacement sucks.
I really wanted to stay $30k or under AND have all my comfort bells and whistles I'm used to.

-T.

fucanay

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Our TDI was my wife's car and she already replaced it with a leased Mazda CX-5. So when our buyback goes through, I was planning on replacing my 2005 GMC Sierra 5.3L pickup with a new midsize passenger car or small SUV. However, I can't seem to find anything that does it for me at all. Low torque, CVT transmissions, spaceship styling seem to be the "in thing" right now. I'm not even concerned about the fuel economy, I don't drive that many miles. There is literally nothing fun to drive out there right now without spending crazy money. Certainly nothing as fun as the TDI.

I drove a Jetta GLI last week and while it's fun to drive, the steering wheel isn't centered to the drivers seat and was strange to drive. That was kind of a deal breaker. I'm thinking about waiting until the Gen 2 Tiguan comes out to see what it's like. I hear they'll be coming out of Mexico this summer.

bring

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta SEL, DSG
:rolleyes:It cracks me up when I see some TDI owners, who loved the power and fuel mileage of their vehicle, go in a totally different direction with an SUV or truck, that will likely get only 1/4 to 1/3 the fuel mileage Even if you stick with a diesel, the mileage will still suck. I get it that fuel prices are low, but since everyone is saying we're drowning in oil, all it takes is one shock to stir things up, and next thing you know, we're staring at $4+/gallon fuel prices again. Since SUV's and trucks are popular now because of low fuel prices, their values are high. But when fuel goes up, their values will plummet when everyone wants to get out of them into more fuel efficient vehicles. There are great deals to be had on hybrids and electric vehicles now, which will become more valuable when fuel prices return to their highs.

Everything you read about low oil and gas prices expects it to remain that way for a decade or so.

SOCALGAL

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan & 2013 Jetta Wagon
Just received this in the mail today, first marketing material we've seen from another manufacturer.

Last edited:

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
I also got one of those Hyundai mailers.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
Can you say "Arab oil embargo"? I am old enough to remember the one that happened in 1973.
At least you do not remember the Irish Potato Famine of 1845-49

Conditions, both in the USA and world wide, are far different than they were in 1973.

s_e

TDI
2012 A3
I am so all over the place with what I want. I have no idea.
Me too. I'd dragged my SO on so many test drives it started to endanger our relationship :p I finally pulled the trigger today. It feels really good to have made the decision. I wish I'd spared myself some anxiety and not spent so long deciding. (I know, first world problems.)

Tenebrae

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 VW Jetta TDI Premium with Nav TURNED IN 03/10/2017
Me too. I'd dragged my SO on so many test drives it started to endanger our relationship :p I finally pulled the trigger today. It feels really good to have made the decision. I wish I'd spared myself some anxiety and not spent so long deciding. (I know, first world problems.)
Trying the hubby's patience as well... >_>
What'd you settle on?

-T.

s_e

TDI
2012 A3
Trying the hubby's patience as well... >_>
What'd you settle on?

-T.
Mazda 6 (GT+premium). My third Mazda. In between the first I've had an Infiniti (early in the brand, back when Nissan made good cars) and my A3. I keep going back. Nothing else ever seems to have the right combination of features, fun, and value. (Except my A3 TDI, but I guess it was an impossible combination!)

Last edited:

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Sometimes (many times) a persons needs change. If one now needs a truck then no a hybrid or electric vehicle will never work.

I've seen those with diesel trucks getting into the 30's.

I'm still not 100% sure what I will do BUT, I'm getting close to retiring. I have a 50 mile round trip. I'm still going to spend less on fuel getting rid of that drive.

There are many variables.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None

It was a horrifically expensive system back in the day, but if you need the towing and payload capability of a 5.3 liter Silverado, this could do it, be much faster, and get as good highway mileage and far better city mileage than the comparable 5.3 liter. Wonder how they've held their resale value, actually...

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
I looked at the Hybrid Silverado. They are hard to find and they aren't rated much higher than a gas version.

I don't see this being an advantage in a truck like this at all. Pulling a load is going to have it in full gas mode much of the time and if like me you were interested in a truck for light duty, the 4.3 is more than adequate and the mpg's between the two are negligible.

tejastommy

TDI
2013 Jetta DSG
So I decided I want the 2017 A4 2.0T QUATTRO. here's the problem..... The buyback barely begins to pay for it. How do I get into my new AUDI without paying that premium price? I think I would be willing to pay 30K-32K but not 40K. Am I going to have to concede my LUV of this car and settle for less. UGH. Good gas mileage, very quiet ride, great drive,etc..... I will almost certainly have to give up at least 1 of those to avoid paying more than I want to.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
I looked at the Hybrid Silverado. They are hard to find and they aren't rated much higher than a gas version.
MPG is a deceptive measurement, though - 1 or 2 MPG worse when you're getting 20 is much more fuel than 1 or 2 MPG worse when you're getting 40. This is why gallons per 100 miles is a better way to go. (For expansion on that, look here.)

So, the 2009 2-wheel drive hybrids were rated at 4.8 gallons/100 miles city, 4.5 gallons/100 miles highway, and 4.8 gallons/100 miles combined.

The most efficient non-hybrid 2009 Chevy pickup, period, was the 4-cylinder 4-speed automatic 2WD Colorado, at 5.6 city, 4.2 highway, 5.0 combined.

The most efficient non-hybrid 2009 Chevy full-size pickup was the XFE (with a 5.3 liter and 6-speed auto), rated at 6.7 city, 4.8 highway, and 5.9 combined. The 4.3 liter (with a 4-speed auto) got 6.7 city, 5.0 highway, 5.9 combined.

I don't see this being an advantage in a truck like this at all. Pulling a load is going to have it in full gas mode much of the time and if like me you were interested in a truck for light duty, the 4.3 is more than adequate and the mpg's between the two are negligible.
Even when it's in "full gas mode", the engine is running Atkinson cycle, improving its thermal efficiency (and, with 332 ICE horsepower, 369 system horsepower, I don't think you'll be in full gas engine power very often, except when climbing long hills - it may well be running, but the hybrid system can likely keep it at its most efficient point fairly easily, even towing). The hybrid system will also help with engine braking down hills, and then offset some fuel usage up hills.

pro51492

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen TDI 6sp
I decided to take a step back in time and go with the good ol B5 Passat wagon TDI which i will eventually convert to a manual.

rfortson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Surfwagen TDI
So I decided I want the 2017 A4 2.0T QUATTRO. here's the problem..... The buyback barely begins to pay for it. How do I get into my new AUDI without paying that premium price? I think I would be willing to pay 30K-32K but not 40K. Am I going to have to concede my LUV of this car and settle for less. UGH. Good gas mileage, very quiet ride, great drive,etc..... I will almost certainly have to give up at least 1 of those to avoid paying more than I want to.
Here's my thinking. I usually only put a little down since financing is so cheap. That puts me in the VW range. Now, with a huge chunk of change, I decided to roll it into an Audi. No real net change in my standard of living, but I'm driving a nicer car. And when it comes time to go to the next one, I'll have a better trade to bargain with.

Have you looked at A3's? Don't they have a quattro version? You can also get deals on the 2016's if you can find them around. I was surprised at some of the deals I saw, such as on the e-tron. I saw an Allroad for $45k, and that was before any deals.

If you're looking at Audis, I suggest trying a variety of dealers. It took me a bit before I found a dealer willing to really deal, and after that, they all fell in line. Also, look at deals online.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Lease it, but with the intention of buying it out at the end of the lease term. Adjust your down payment to get a lease payment you are comfortable with, each $1,000 down typically reduces the lease payment by $20/month. Don't worry about the mileage allowance, as long as you don't change your mind about buying at the end of the lease term it doesn't matter. Then you get the perfect used car at the end of the lease.

We did this for the first time with my wife's Previa, because in 1994 it stickered at $36K. Yikes. Lease was reasonable, bought it with cash at the end of the term. Kept it for 10 years total. Loved that van until the end. I've done it a bunch more times since.

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
MPG is a deceptive measurement, though - 1 or 2 MPG worse when you're getting 20 is much more fuel than 1 or 2 MPG worse when you're getting 40. This is why gallons per 100 miles is a better way to go. (For expansion on that, look here.)
So, the 2009 2-wheel drive hybrids were rated at 4.8 gallons/100 miles city, 4.5 gallons/100 miles highway, and 4.8 gallons/100 miles combined.
The most efficient non-hybrid 2009 Chevy pickup, period, was the 4-cylinder 4-speed automatic 2WD Colorado, at 5.6 city, 4.2 highway, 5.0 combined.
The most efficient non-hybrid 2009 Chevy full-size pickup was the XFE (with a 5.3 liter and 6-speed auto), rated at 6.7 city, 4.8 highway, and 5.9 combined. The 4.3 liter (with a 4-speed auto) got 6.7 city, 5.0 highway, 5.9 combined.
It's no longer 2009. My options are not limited to 2009 or older.

A Hybrid as you note is 4.8. A 2014 4.3 is 5.0. Negligible.

Even when it's in "full gas mode", the engine is running Atkinson cycle, improving its thermal efficiency (and, with 332 ICE horsepower, 369 system horsepower, I don't think you'll be in full gas engine power very often, except when climbing long hills - it may well be running, but the hybrid system can likely keep it at its most efficient point fairly easily, even towing). The hybrid system will also help with engine braking down hills, and then offset some fuel usage up hills.
The small difference in a full size truck, IMO isn't worth the added costs but that's just me. Europe has a ton of options we do not get sadly. I'd be all over a diesel NV200. Ford could put their hybrid in a Transit Connect but doesn't do it.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
And it's only fair to compare 2009 technology against 2009 technology (although that truck was available in that form up to 2013). Think of what that kind of thing could do today.

And there is the Silverado eAssist, a much milder hybrid system. In 2WD form, it does 5.6/4.2 city/hwy, 5.0 combined, with the 5.3. Sure, the numbers are the same as the 4.3, but still, compare to 6.2/4.5/5.6 with the 5.3 8-speed non-hybrid. (And, really, I could see a use for a 4.3 eAssist, just make it available with all engines - the battery goes under the front seat anyway.)

Oh, and you're looking purely at highway mileage, whereas people drive more city than they think.